DRC: Littrell sees renewed enthusiasm as UNT begins bowl prep

Brett Vito

31 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why not wait till the recruiting is over, before you complain about the class?

Exactly. Not only that but how hard is it for people to understand that the guy has a year left on his contract and hasn't been renewed and thusly it affects recruiting. Pretty simple. Yet so much of our fan base seems to ignore it or be ignorant of the ramifications of a coach with one year left on his contract not being able to pull in recruits.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Exactly. Not only that but how hard is it for people to understand that the guy has a year left on his contract and hasn't been renewed and thusly it affects recruiting. Pretty simple. Yet so much of our fan base seems to ignore it or be ignorant of the ramifications of a coach with one year left on his contract not being able to pull in recruits.

Not true. He has at least 2 years on his contract remaining. Sounds like the easy, or simple excuse. On the flip side of the coin, or where reality lays, Seth Littrell can't recruit. A HC is supposed to be the "closer" or "ace in the hole", that when called upon it's because we have a kid on the brink of a commitment and the HC gets the pendulum swung in our favor with his HC prowess, personable skills, charisma,  etc. Does this sound anything like Littrell? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 5

For 48 years one of the things I’ve observed especially from the OldDenton (“we never did it this way before”) click is how the closer to success this football program gets the more they seem to double down in kicking almost everything about UNT in the scrotum.  It’s really uncanny how our being on the cusp of success creates that response with some. (And some wonder why we have become the last stop for many athletic coaching careers)?    Alums can set the environmental mood for any school’s athletic program. Wonder how any unbiased observer would rate UNT alums ability to do that if they read some comments on this forum?

Do They Do It To Get Attention?  Some of the NegNeds on GMG who consistently stay dark on almost anything related to UNT’s athletic program need to honestly consider taking a sabbatical from this forum.  We’ve all done that when we’ve had enough.  When with some all perspective has been lost & they take the role of constantly working against the grain of what should be the common good. 

After reading some of the comments on GMG, the borderline (or on the fence) UNT fan has to wonder what in the hell they’d be getting themselves involved with if they even gave their choice of being a Mean Green fan an honest shot.   Just sayin’.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yeah, ok. We'll see. Meanwhile some of the mostly coveted kids in those classes are jetting. And always remember, this is CUSA.  

And it's funny, when we sign shitty classes all the Athletic department worshippers ALWAYS run to the defense of, WAIT UNTIL THEY'RE SENIORS BEFORE JUDGING. Yet, when a decent class is put together those same people are quick to post about it. It's just funny. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Now what did the original post say about recruiting?  You can definitely put me in the ‘Seth should have been replaced midseason’ camp.  But shots at his “recruiting” acumen is counterproductive at this point.  They aren’t firing him barring a massive beat down in the bowl and he probably survives that also.  So levy the criticism in another topic recruiting related.  I desperately hope I am wrong about Seth.  But debating about recruiting is moot unless you can give me a decently long list of 4 star recruits that never got to play here because of injury.  

He is was he is at this point 37-37 the definition of mediocre.  He MIGHT have figured somethings out this season which would be logical cause for optimism.  

This isn’t a career grave yard anymore.  And even when it was you can’t put that on fans.  You put that on the actual decision makers and the professional skills of the people who careers fizzled out.   (I looked up one of my just for reference favorites Mike Chico Canales and he for example just aged out imo when we passed on promoting him to HC.).   All that is just to say it’s all about accountability.  And in the accountability moment for the 2021 season on this forum has passed because Wren Baker has made his decision.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

For 48 years one of the things I’ve observed especially from the OldDenton (“we never did it this way before”) click is how the closer to success this football program gets the more they seem to double down in kicking almost everything about UNT in the scrotum.  It’s really uncanny how our being on the cusp of success creates that response with some. (And some wonder why we have become the last stop for many athletic coaching careers)?    Alums can set the environmental mood for any school’s athletic program. Wonder how any unbiased observer would rate UNT alums ability to do that if they read some comments on this forum?

Do They Do It To Get Attention?  Some of the NegNeds on GMG who consistently stay dark on almost anything related to UNT’s athletic program need to honestly consider taking a sabbatical from this forum.  We’ve all done that when we’ve had enough.  When with some all perspective has been lost & they take the role of constantly working against the grain of what should be the common good. 

After reading some of the comments on GMG, the borderline (or on the fence) UNT fan has to wonder what in the hell they’d be getting themselves involved with if they even gave their choice of being a Mean Green fan an honest shot.   Just sayin’.

And year after year you continually highlight a coach that left 40+ years ago instead of having recent successes to highlight. We can agree to disagree - it is possible to bleed Mean Green, and still want a different outcome than we are getting.. This "on the cusp" if freaking old. More money than ever has been put into this program and the last 3 years we are 14-20, and people want to keep taking about "how close we are". I guess if we say it enough it will eventually happen, and then people will say "I told you so".  We have a board that love to see other programs fail and have problems, but think the same levels of success are OK for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And year after year you continually highlight a coach that left 40+ years ago instead of having recent successes to highlight. We can agree to disagree - it is possible to bleed Mean Green, and still want a different outcome than we are getting.. This "on the cusp" if freaking old. More money than ever has been put into this program and the last 3 years we are 14-20, and people want to keep taking about "how close we are". I guess if we say it enough it will eventually happen, and then people will say "I told you so".  We have a board that love to see other programs fail and have problems, but think the same levels of success are OK for us.

Point out one post, that someone states he is happy with where NT has been in football the last 3 years. 

There a lot like me that are happy that NT ended in five straight wins with a decisive victory over a ranked team.  I doubt anyone is unhappy with that part of the season. 

My point and I've expressed it several times on this board, is enjoy the moment. 

Wait till next season or after the bowl game to continue your rant about Littrell's lack of ability.   At this time, it comes across as just pointless grandstanding, no sane AD would fire Littrell at this point.   

Explain why you want Littrell gone.   I don't care much about what happened prior to this year.   I do care about next year and at this point, I think Littrell and NT will do well.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Point out one post, that someone states he is happy with where NT has been in football the last 3 years. 

There a lot like me that are happy that NT ended in five straight wins with a decisive victory over a ranked team.  I doubt anyone is unhappy with that part of the season. 

My point and I've expressed it several times on this board, is enjoy the moment. 

Wait till next season or after the bowl game to continue your rant about Littrell's lack of ability.   At this time, it comes across as just pointless grandstanding, no sane AD would fire Littrell at this point.   

Explain why you want Littrell gone.   I don't care much about what happened prior to this year.   I do care about next year and at this point, I think Littrell and NT will do well.   

The first thing I will say is saying the past is something you don't care much is, with all due respect, a weak argument. Thee past is important

Why do I think he should be gone? In year 6 of being the highest paid HC in the conference it took an incredible 5 game win streak to get to .500 for the season. In the last 3 years his teams are 14-20 (did I mention he is the highest paid coach and we you can also add he has been given more to work with than any HC in our programs history). We caught lightning in a bottle with Mason, but his numbers fell after GH left. Outside Mason, Seth has not even come close on another QB. We are getting ready to head to a new, and better conference, and this would have been a good opportunity to have a new coach come in and start laying his footprint to be ready for the start of AAC play. Now we should have a better record next year based on a weaker schedule. So I'm guessing next year when we win 7-8 people will be say, see he has turned it around. So he will probably get an extension and we will head into AAC play with the same expectations we have always been willing to accept. Then the narrative will change from the "were a young team" to "were competition in a better conference" we need to give him more time.

Question for you - Are you OK with a coach that is getting paid what he is being 14-20 over the past 3 years? Are you OK with his lack of developing a QB? What is you point to where you think he has been given enough time/chances to prove himself?

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The first thing I will say is saying the past is something you don't care much is, with all due respect, a weak argument. Thee past is important

Why do I think he should be gone? In year 6 of being the highest paid HC in the conference it took an incredible 5 game win streak to get to .500 for the season. In the last 3 years his teams are 14-20 (did I mention he is the highest paid coach and we you can also add he has been given more to work with than any HC in our programs history). We caught lightning in a bottle with Mason, but his numbers fell after GH left. Outside Mason, Seth has not even come close on another QB. We are getting ready to head to a new, and better conference, and this would have been a good opportunity to have a new coach come in and start laying his footprint to be ready for the start of AAC play. Now we should have a better record next year based on a weaker schedule. So I'm guessing next year when we win 7-8 people will be say, see he has turned it around. So he will probably get an extension and we will head into AAC play with the same expectations we have always been willing to accept. Then the narrative will change from the "were a young team" to "were competition in a better conference" we need to give him more time.

Question for you - Are you OK with a coach that is getting paid what he is being 14-20 over the past 3 years? Are you OK with his lack of developing a QB? What is you point to where you think he has been given enough time/chances to prove himself?

History matters when it suits you. You talk about what he does over the last 3 seasons and ignore the 23-17 record his first three after taking over a dumpster fire. You also ignore the history of our underachieving program “because we spent this many dollars”. Yes we are way better off facilities and budget wise  than we were in the Dickey years, however, many of our direct competitors are as well. It takes more than just money to achieve. You can’t just buy wins, ask Texas. If Seth was 2-10 THIS season, you’d be preaching to the choir but he did something pretty impressive in THIS season, and it seems the majority of this board want to see if a corner has been turned (yes in year 6) or not. If not, Wren will have plenty of time next season to scout the next hire.

Also, he hasn’t been the highest paid coach in CUSA for 6 years, that is a lie. 4 years maybe, but definitely not 6.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Yes, I have heard your and others rationale for firing a coach that has just had a great close to the year pending the bowl game. 

Littrell is not getting terminated this year, no matter how much you want it.   

If the past was the that important, you should be for signing Littrell up forever.  You question a poster that refers back to Fry, yet you state the past is important.  

I don't think you can make an intelligent argument that Littrell is not the best coach we have had since Fry.   McCarney had a good year, but was over his prime.   Dickey was mostly a disaster, although he did win early in the very weak Belt.   Corky Nelson had some great wins, but just could never win consistently even in the FCS.  

As far as big budgets, have you ever actually examined what that means.   Athletic budgets are make up of a myriad of allocations and all seem to be different in their their classifications of revenues and expenses.   NT is large because of a large student body and high athletic fee (although not nearly as high as many G5's).

But as far as the budget items that matter:  coaches and staff salaries and recruiting budgets, you will find the differences are not that significant. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

But as far as the budget items that matter:  coaches and staff salaries and recruiting budgets, you will find the differences are not that significant. 

Just so I understand. You are saying previous teams had similar staffing and recruiting budgets compared to this current team?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Are you saying that he is a good recruiter? As in able to beat P5 schools regularly, or at least able to beat schools like SMU or Houston? Because I think that is simply not true. Or are you that he is good at identifying overlooked players and finding diamonds in the rough?

Every player you linked Aside from Brown and Bean (who doesn't belong on this list) were signed in the 2016 and 2017 classes by the way, and everyone aside from Guyton and Siggers either had a few lower G5 offers or none at all.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Are you saying that he is a good recruiter? As in able to beat P5 schools regularly, or at least able to beat schools like SMU or Houston? Because I think that is simply not true. Or are you that he is good at identifying overlooked players and finding diamonds in the rough?

Every player you linked Aside from Brown and Bean (who doesn't belong on this list) were signed in the 2016 and 2017 classes by the way, and everyone aside from Guyton and Siggers either had a few lower G5 offers or none at all.

Facts and stuff... always getting in the way. 

12 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Yes he is a good recruiter. I didn’t realize we were a P5 team. He is also good at identifying overlooked players.

The players after the ‘17 class haven’t had a chance to be in the league yet but I imagine I can add links for Novil and Torrey sometime next summer.