North Texas Offers ACU QB Stone Earle

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Offer a 2 year deal at an above average comp rate.

No way.  A 2-year deal was an exception under exceptional circumstances, and that was at least for a coordinator.

What are the odds that SL is even our HC in 2023?  If less than 50%, we are just giving ourselves more contract that we have to buy out.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No way.  A 2-year deal was an exception under exceptional circumstances, and that was at least for a coordinator.

What are the odds that SL is even our HC in 2023?  If less than 50%, we are just giving ourselves more contract that we have to buy out.

To attract a stud you will have to do more than 1 yr with Seth being in flux.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Ruder hasn't failed completely, just the first few games of this season.  Was thrown to the wolves before he was ready.  We better find a QB, get our WR's healthy and run the table next year.  Getting real tired of this "middle of the road" b.s.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Ruder hasn't failed completely, just the first few games of this season.  Was thrown to the wolves before he was ready.  We better find a QB, get our WR's healthy and run the table next year.  Getting real tired of this "middle of the road" b.s.

Agree.  I think Ruder might have something if we can get a QB coach to help him succeed.

• Upvote 3

On 12/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, TreeFiddy said:

We are now 0-2 (Morris, Ruder) with highly rated P5 QBs transferring here and having success.   Not only did neither have success, neither made it half way through the season as the starter before being replaced.  Can't be looked upon favorably by future potential transfers.

Wouldn't see it that negatively: both got to start! They may have lost the job, but any QB who has the confidence necessary to be any good will believe that if he gets the chance to start, he will not lose the job. Would be much worse had they never gotten a chance. I feel that some of the HS recruited Qbs never getting snaps and looks is likely much more of a long term problem when recruiting those.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Wouldn't see it that negatively: both got to start! They may have lost the job, but any QB who has the confidence necessary to be any good will believe that if he gets the chance to start, he will not lose the job. Would be much worse had they never gotten a chance. I feel that some of the HS recruited Qbs never getting snaps and looks is likely much more of a long term problem when recruiting those.

Pulling Morris and burning Fine’s redshirt I still think was Seth’s biggest mistake. Fine would of played this year. ( I know we couldn’t forecast Covid) More importantly we saw what Morris had in the bowl game and we win it he is MVP.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 12/24/2021 at 10:53 AM, TreeFiddy said:

We are now 0-2 (Morris, Ruder) with highly rated P5 QBs transferring here and having success.   Not only did neither have success, neither made it half way through the season as the starter before being replaced.  Can't be looked upon favorably by future potential transfers.

Morris was 2016, making some potential QBs less than 16 years old when it happened.  And you're talking about dumb luck with two players separated by 4+ years.  This isn't really a streak.  What you're suggesting is a reach.

Factor in an athlete's mindset that they are the answer to a program's woes.

Then put a QB coach on staff and it won't even be on the potential signee's radar.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Pulling Morris and burning Fine’s redshirt I still think was Seth’s biggest mistake. Fine would of played this year. ( I know we couldn’t forecast Covid) More importantly we saw what Morris had in the bowl game and we win it he is MVP.

Seth seem to have a quicker hook for transfer QB's than most

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I don’t think Seth anticipated being around long enough to worry about Fine’s eligibility expiring. Additionally, Fine’s senior season was Seth’s worst season as head coach in Denton so there is no way for you to say for sure that we would’ve been better with Fine still here. Yes, Fine was a better quarterback than Aune, Bean, or Ruder, but he clearly regressed under Reeder. Why wouldn’t he have regressed further under his backup and Blake Joseph?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think Seth anticipated being around long enough to worry about Fine’s eligibility expiring. Additionally, Fine’s senior season was Seth’s worst season as head coach in Denton so there is no way for you to say for sure that we would’ve been better with Fine still here. Yes, Fine was a better quarterback than Aune, Bean, or Ruder, but he clearly regressed under Reeder. Why wouldn’t he have regressed further under his backup and Blake Joseph?

Did Fine regress or the team? Fine came from a small program and weighed 167lbs, that is what redshirt is for. I wonder how that played into his injuries? Fine would of been a much better qb than we had last season, but Seth also wasted Alec.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Did Fine regress or the team? Fine came from a small program and weighed 167lbs, that is what redshirt is for. I wonder how that played into his injuries? Fine would of been a much better qb than we had last season, but Seth also wasted Alec.

game-you-play-the-game-to-win-the-game.g

Seth knew what he was doing and so did Harrell. Nobody with any sanity would replace a 5th year senior P5 grad transfer quarterback with an undersized and unrecruited true freshman who’d only been on campus a few weeks unless he had clearly demonstrated he was a better option. They didn’t just throw him out there on a whim. He showed them enough in practice that they wanted to see what the young man could do in live fire. Obviously, he showed them enough to know Morris needed to get back on the bench. You say they wasted Morris, you and I have different recollections of the playing ability of one Alec Morris.

To your first question, as goes Fine, so does the team.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

They’re both on scholarship. Littrell said on signing day that the plan was always to bring in at least two QBs through the portal.

Let that Argyle QB from last year get away. Baylor coaches really like him, reportedly may put him on scholarship in the spring.

Good job, Tate. 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by Hard Count
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Seth knew what he was doing and so did Harrell. Nobody with any sanity would replace a 5th year senior P5 grad transfer quarterback with an undersized and unrecruited true freshman who’d only been on campus a few weeks unless he had clearly demonstrated he was a better option. They didn’t just throw him out there on a whim. He showed them enough in practice that they wanted to see what the young man could do in live fire. Obviously, he showed them enough to know Morris needed to get back on the bench. You say they wasted Morris, you and I have different recollections of the playing ability of one Alec Morris.

Is your first sentence a joke?? LOL  Morris last game 26 for 38 over 304 yards. We win the bowl  game he is MVP.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Is your first sentence a joke. LOL  Morris 26 of 38, 3 touchdowns one interception. We win the bowl game he is the MVP.

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Is your first sentence a joke?? LOL  Morris last game 26 for 38 over 304 yards. We win the bowl  game he is MVP.

Well if going 4 of 11 for 13 yards and a pick against Bethune Cookman is your idea of a quality starter, we will never come to agreement.

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well if going 4 of 11 for 13 yards and a pick against Bethune Cookman is your idea of a quality starter, we will never come to agreement.

Last game may be more important than the first and being the best bowl game we have played under Seth. 

22 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Last game may be more important than the first and being the best bowl game we have played under Seth. 

Perhaps but that interception he threw in the redzone coming out of the half on a drive that would’ve put us up 4 but ended up putting us down 10 could’ve put him in the running for Army’s MVP. Bussey’s acrobatics and Jeff Wilson’s tenacity took us way farther than Alec Morris’ arm did.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Perhaps but that interception he threw in the redzone coming out of the half on a drive that would’ve put is up 4 but ended up putting us down 10 could’ve put him in the running for Army’s MVP. Bussey’s acrobatics and Jeff Wilson’s tenacity took us way farther than Alec Morris’ arm did.

Oh geez we win the Bowl he is MVP. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Really excited about this kid. Some of his out pattern throws were very tight Windows and he seems like a gamer! Can’t wait to see him in the spring.

After spending time with our QB coach I am sure his understanding of blocking schemes will be vastly improved. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1