Sam Houston State (12/14/21)

CMJ

50 minutes ago, South Texas Green said:

Was just looking through various rankings today and we're up across the board.  

RPI 106 (Up 59 spots)

NET 89 (Up 14 spots)

BPI 108 (Up 9 spots) 

Screenshot_20211212-110402_Chrome.jpg.ad85dfc22c9ad0304b2ab34689bc5665.jpgScreenshot_20211212-113954_Chrome.jpg.5a0cd274bb697fd5320f63833a32fe5c.jpgScreenshot_20211212-110547_Chrome.jpg.09b068d389c9370467a2633d78e3dd8d.jpg

Ha, they have Bellarmine ahead of us. They only have 1 D1 win but half of their losses have been to top 10 teams and I think that’s propping them up. Even though they got blown out by those teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I watched some of the LA Tech/Louisiana game yesterday.  Not overly impressed with Tech outside of Loftin.

Them and UAB are the only two ahead of us in the current RPI rankings.  UAB is doing quite well, in fact, sitting at 44.

I'm gonna stop there because I don't want to jinx anything.

UNT Men’s Basketball: Mean Green Welcome Long-Time Opponent To The Super Pit

North Texas Faces Sam Houston For First Time In McCasland Era

For more information contact: Luke Della, 510-725-2130, Luke.Della@unt.edu  

DENTON, Texas –  The North Texas men's basketball team, which is riding a three-game winning streak, hosts Sam Houston Tuesday night at the Super Pit.

The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on ESPN+ and the Mean Green Sports Network. 

This will be the 65th all-time meeting between UNT (5-3) and the Bearkats (3-6) but the first in the Grant McCasland era. The Mean Green have only played Texas State (87), TCU (75) and Stephen F. Austin (70) more times than Sam Houston in their 104-year-history. North Texas has beaten SHSU 35 times in their 64 previous meetings. The only DI opponent they've beaten more times is Texas State (59).

UNT is coming off of a 66-57 victory over UMass at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth on Saturday. The 57 points the Mean Green held UMass to was a season-low for the Minutemen who entered the game averaging 82 points per game. As of Monday, North Texas has held five of its eight opponents this season to season-low totals including nationally ranked Kansas. Defense has been the calling card for UNT over the last four seasons and once again they rank as one of the best in the nation. North Texas heads into Tuesday's contest holding opponents to an average of 55.5 points per game, which is the fourth-best in the nation. 

Controlling the tempo has also been key to the Mean Green's defensive success early in the year. North Texas' average possession length is 21.4 seconds. That's the slowest in the nation (358 teams).

MAC VS TEXAS OPPONENTS

North Texas is on a 13-game home winning streak against teams from the state of Texas. Under McCasland, UNT is 15-2 in such games. He is 23-6 versus Texas opponents overall as UNT's head coach.

DURING THIS WINNING STREAK

During UNT's current 3-game winning streak, they are holding opponents to an average of 48.6 points per game.

CAREER-HIGH SCORING

North Texas sophomore Abou Ousmane scored a career-high 13 points on Saturday versus UMass. He scored all 13 points in the first 21 minutes of the game. He also played a career-high 25 minutes in the 66-57 win over UMass as well.

SHOOTING BETTER FROM DEEP

After starting the season 2-of-17 (11.7 percent) from 3-point range over the first four games of the year, Rubin Jones has made 10 of his last 16 (62.5 percent) 3-point attempts over the last four games. Since the early season struggle Jones and associate head coach Ross Hodge work on his 3-point shooting every day at practice.

LEADING REBOUNDER

North Texas true freshman Aaron Scott has led North Texas in rebounding in each of the Mean Green's last two games. He's averaged 8.5 rebounds per game over the last two games all while coming off the bench.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, UNTLifer said:

I watched some of the LA Tech/Louisiana game yesterday.  Not overly impressed with Tech outside of Loftin.

Cobe Williams, Freshman Caleb Stewart and baby Shaq are the only solid ones on that team, but goodness sakes Lofton is really good. I mean he is going to be extremely hard to stop.

Probably the only player I'm scared to match up against.

• Upvote 2

On 12/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, greenminer said:

Them and UAB are the only two ahead of us in the current RPI rankings.  UAB is doing quite well, in fact, sitting at 44.

I'm gonna stop there because I don't want to jinx anything.

I think as usual WKU is going to be the team to beat.  That 7'5 center could be dominate in the league.   Not what I expected at all, he moves well and seemed to alter any inside shots. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think as usual WKU is going to be the team to beat.  That 7'5 center could be dominate in the league.   Not what I expected at all, he moves well and seemed to alter any inside shots. 

As usual?  When do we start considering the two-time defending conference champions the “team to beat” until proven otherwise?  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

As usual?  When do we start considering the two-time defending conference champions the “team to beat” until proven otherwise?  

I think what @GrandGreen is trying to say is that, WKU should be considered the team to [continue to] beat to retain our crown. 😉 

I Got This Smile GIF by Kings of Con

Edited by greenminer

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I would guess when two-time becomes three-time and half of the streak is not including the pandemic season that many outside of NT managed to forget because there was no tournament. At NT fans have bought in (although apparently attendance could be better). But for the outside world to fully realize it it may take just a tinge more.