Massachusetts (12/11/21)

CMJ

1 hour ago, glick1980 said:

It moved our RPI from 124 to 69 immediately.

I was trying to find another team with a similar leap and found DePaul, who jumped up 80+ spots after winning yesterday @ Louisville

Back to UNT: looks like the formulas are factoring today's win as an away game for the Mean Green.  I think that makes it more valuable.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I was trying to find another team with a similar leap and found DePaul, who jumped up 80+ spots after winning yesterday @ Louisville

Back to UNT: looks like the formulas are factoring today's win as an away game for the Mean Green.  I think that makes it more valuable.

Loss to Buffalo affected us. We win that one and we may be top 50. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would like to kindly request that you hold off on any more posting about the Buffalo loss until the new year.

I said when we lost it would be one that stuck and well it did. I don’t like it… maybe if we lose to dam Houston state or D2/D3 school I will forget…

I like this post off the UMASS message board yesterday:

I saw the whole fiasco and we were outmatched inside by UNT's Bigs! The physicality of the game was all in their favor, they play good D and didn't allow us any open shots for three's! As the announcer said, UNT wanted it more and we had no one who stepped up. All the 50/50 balls and hustle plays were theirs.

Right now I'd be thrilled if we could sign Grant to a 50 year contract.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

We could use it if all we’re ever going to get is 50-75 fans show up for a game 36 miles from campus, coming off the greatest season in history.  Pathetic!

Rick

I know a lot of people have a "build it and they will come" mentality when it comes to NT Athletics, but the unfortunate reality is we have exactly the program we deserve.  Given the sheer number of NT graduates and their acquaintances, the fan support we have is nothing short of abysmal.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I know a lot of people have a "build it and they will come" mentality when it comes to NT Athletics, but the unfortunate reality is we have exactly the program we deserve.  Given the sheer number of NT graduates and their acquaintances, the fan support we have is nothing short of abysmal.

That’s such a cop out.  Let’s blame the fans for everything, not the lack of leadership or the lack of any consistent success over decades or the lack of investment in facilities until recently.   But hey you’re right the fans should have been lining up to see a team that dropped down to I-AA and played in one of the worst stadiums in the country.against teams that brought zero fans to the games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

That’s such a cop out.  Let’s blame the fans for everything, not the lack of leadership or the lack of any consistent success over decades or the lack of investment in facilities until recently.   But hey you’re right the fans should have been lining up to see a team that dropped down to I-AA and played in one of the worst stadiums in the country.against teams that brought zero fans to the games.

Well, I think there is plenty of blame to go around. But let's look at a program that hasn't floundered in the last few years. Men's basketball. We can barely put a couple of thousand fans in the super pit to see a program that wins.  It is even worse for the smaller sports where our fan base does not even show up with one time special events. Both the soccer team and softball team have played for championships at home in recent years and our small venues weren't full. The people that are on this board really aren't the issue, so in that sense it is like preaching to the choir. But ultimately, yes, I believe we are where we are as a program because of lack of support.

• Upvote 3

Regarding the recent game against UMass, was there marketing on campus?  Were there packages set up that included transportation and tickets for students?  Were there any alumni events planned around the game in Fort Worth?  That is a great venue in a fun area and actually near the UNT Health Science Center.  Any ticket specials for the students there?

I know the answers.  As noted above, there is lots of blame to be shared.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2