Talons

eppy4life

Yummm...Tortillas.  

Remember the photo of the little girl put up on the video board at Fouts ?  She was allegedly the victim of an errant tortilla toss.  She certainly did look unhappy but the tortilla sailing ended after that.  Do any of you remember the fan from Dallas that owned a tortilla factory ?  He actually made some GREEN tortillas for us (when i say some, I mean boxes and boxes).  I thought the Tortilla tossing was fun but it's just a memory now.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

The Talons were a big deal in the 70's.  By the 80's, not so much.  I am surprised to learn they are still around.  What exactly do they do?  They certainly are not a spirit group anymore.

FFR could answer this better, but I think they maintain and fire Boomer during games. They may also maintain our old Model A we see from time to time.

11 hours ago, eppy4life said:

Are the talons still a thing and why don't we throw tortillas anymore?  I always thought that was fun and if it's a clean up thing maybe the Talons could take care if they're still around.  

Why would you want to throw tortillas? That's Texas Tech's thing and they have a reason in their history for it. We do it and people will say we copied them. No thank you

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Why would you want to throw tortillas? That's Texas Tech's thing and they have a reason in their history for it. We do it and people will say we copied them. No thank you

Let's go to the videotape...

2005... what I didn't know was that @FirefightnRickwas almost thrown out of Fouts for possession of tortillas during the same game that @SilverEagle had his scuffle with Ramon Flanigan!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Well, did make a long story short. We were playing in Lubbock, they were winning, their inbreds were showering us with tortillas, we came back and won, we threw the tortillas back at their students and our little piece of tortilla history was born. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, did make a long story short. We were playing in Lubbock, they were winning, their inbreds were showering us with tortillas, we came back and won, we threw the tortillas back at their students and our little piece of tortilla history was born. 

Regardless. We discontinued the tradition, they did not. It's what they are known for. Bringing it back now looks like a copy cat, no matter the history.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Regardless. We discontinued the tradition, they did not. It's what they are known for. Bringing it back now looks like a copy cat, no matter the history.

They did as well.  I  believe the NCAA put a stop to it years ago.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

They did as well.  I  believe the NCAA put a stop to it years ago.

NCAA has tried but they still do it. It's a sacred tradition to them. They will never stop doing it. They've even done it at basketball games a couple of times.

Article from 3 months ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-football/big-12/texas-tech/texas-tech-tortilla-throwing/amp/

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Man it would have been awesome if got a 10 year run playing them out of conference back then.  A regular season tortilla bowl.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Since this is an annual post, here is your annual answer.  The tortilla throwing was stupid.  It was rip off a racist Texas Tech tradition that is rooted in Tech disrespecting teams like UTEP & West Texas A&M.  

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 6

On 12/9/2021 at 9:47 PM, shaft said:

Since this is an annual post, here is your annual answer.  The tortilla throwing was stupid.  It was rip off a racist Texas Tech tradition that is rooted in Tech disrespecting teams like UTEP & West Texas A&M.  

Is that when the tortilla thing started? To disrespect those schools?  UNT is better than that. Appreciate the history. Thanks, man. GMG!

• Downvote 1