Poll - If SL announced he was taking an OC job at OU or somewhere else would you be disappointed?

southsideguy

If SL announced he was taking an OC job at OU or somewhere else would you be disappointed?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If SL announced he was taking an OC job at OU or somewhere else would you be disappointed?

• KingDL1 changed the title to Poll - If SL announced he was taking an OC job at OU or somewhere else would you be disappointed?
4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Thats cool! Did you know he was under an incredibly successful HC at Baylol named Briles? Did you know its possible to become a better coach after learning under another? Do Mario Cristobal or Lane Kiffin ring a bell? No guarantee in anything but id trust him to handle things better at this point

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Thats cool! Did you know he was under an incredibly successful HC at Baylol named Briles? Did you know its possible to become a better coach after learning under another? Do Mario Cristobal or Lane Kiffin ring a bell? No guarantee in anything but id trust him to handle things better at this point

He had to be coaxed out of retirement to help Seth.   I don’t think he’d even consider it himself, let alone Wren considering him.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

You make this point if you're talking about a young coach who clearly wants to go next level, or even a slightly-older coach who wants a second go-round.  It loses weight when you're talking about a guy who is 66 and had to be talked out of retirement by a friend.

• Upvote 3

OK.  Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2006 3-9 Darrell Dickey

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2010 2-9 Todd Dodge (1-6)

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2015 1-11 Dan McCarney (0-5)

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2021 6-6 heading into a bowl game

Sounds familiar, except this time it would be tearing it down and then having to rebuild.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He had to be coaxed out of retirement to help Seth.   I don’t think he’d even consider it himself, let alone Wren considering him.

Not saying they necessarily would. But to simply write him off like the uninformed did just because he didn’t succeed as a HC before is dumb

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, casual fan said:

OK.  Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2006 3-9 Darrell Dickey

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2010 2-9 Todd Dodge (1-6)

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2015 1-11 Dan McCarney (0-5)

Get a new coach.  Tear it down. Rebuild.  2021 6-6 heading into a bowl game

Sounds familiar, except this time it would be tearing it down and then having to rebuild.

What are we having to "tear down"?    Heck, what are we having to "rebuild"?  The talent is already here!

The issue in your citations is that 1998 - 2016 was a completely different era in the timeframe of UNT Athletics.    Everything during this era was done on a shoestring budget with minimal backing from the University as a whole.   That era is not pertinent now.

Sadly, I would say about 90+% of people here on GMG.com are only able to view through the lens you're viewing it through.   I get it, many of us here were close supporters of the program during this timeframe, so it's what we know.

It needs to be stressed more, so I'll keep banging this drum: Things are different now.  
President Smatresk and Wren Baker have a vision for NT athletics that far exceeds anything that Presidents Hurley, Pohl, Battaille (complete opposite of her minimized vision), Rawlins & AD Rick Villareal could ever fathom.

Y'all, it can be so much better than .500.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What are we having to "tear down"?    Heck, what are we having to "rebuild"?  The talent is already here!

The issue in your citations is that 1998 - 2016 was a completely different era in the timeframe of UNT Athletics.    Everything during this era was done on a shoestring budget with minimal backing from the University as a whole.   That era is not pertinent now.

Sadly, I would say about 90+% of people here on GMG.com are only able to view through the lens you're viewing it through.   I get it, many of us here were close supporters of the program during this timeframe, so it's what we know.

It needs to be stressed more, so I'll keep banging this drum: Things are different now.  
President Smatresk and Wren Baker have a vision for NT athletics that far exceeds anything that Presidents Hurley, Pohl, Battaille (complete opposite of her minimized vision), Rawlins & AD Rick Villareal could ever fathom.

How dare you have high expectations.

I mean this is NORTH TEXAS

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Littrell is  not going anywhere this year, but let's keep these kind of threads going because apparently  there can not be enough.

NT has won 5 straight and just beat the only ranked school in history.   

Yes, I know Fry beat San Diego State after voting them up in the coaches poll.  Fry routinely voted any close to good team NT was to play as number 2 in the nation and they magically appeared in the top 20.   Voting them number 1 would be too obvious as those votes were shown.  

Are there better coaches than Littrell, the answer to that is obvious.   However, can NT correctly identify and sign one of those coaches, that would be a big challenge. 

Enjoy, NT's success ending with I hope a bowl win.   Than 2022 will determine Seph's fate.  

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell is  not going anywhere this year, but let's keep these kind of threads going because apparently  there can not be enough.

NT has won 5 straight and just beat the only ranked school in history.   

Yes, I know Fry beat San Diego State after voting them up in the coaches poll.  Fry routinely voted any close to good team NT was to play as number 2 in the nation and they magically appeared in the top 20.   Voting them number 1 would be too obvious as those votes were shown.  

Are there better coaches than Littrell, the answer to that is obvious.   However, can NT correctly identify and sign one of those coaches, that would be a big challenge. 

Enjoy, NT's success ending with I hope a bowl win.   Than 2022 will determine Seph's fate.  

I identify with the "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't" argument, for sure.  I err that way often.
But I think Wren has shown himself to be very good at his job, and he has resources galore at his fingertips to identify the right guy and go get him.

miles-morales-spiderverse.gif

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Amazing how many people here have beaten down dog syndrome. Thinking the is the old North Texas with an athletic department that doesn't give a damn about sports and that Seth is the best we can do. Should Seth go, there would be no "rebuild" as many of the pieces are already there. We would just need someone to pick up those pieces and put them together. This is correct that we can and should be better than .500. If Seth has finally figured something out and is that guy, good. If not, we can find someone who can. Barring an absolute implosion in the bowl game, Seth gets another year to prove whether he is that guy or not.                  

• Upvote 3

I am curious to know what people's opinion on the season would have been had the team been able to pull off the comeback against La. Tech?

I know the team would still have been 2-4 and we can play the what if game all day long(including talking about how the winning streak may have never even happened.

But are those on the get rid of Seth train still on it?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I am curious to know what people's opinion on the season would have been had the team been able to pull off the comeback against La. Tech?

I know the team would still have been 2-4 and we can play the what if game all day long(including talking about how the winning streak may have never even happened.

But are those on the get rid of Seth train still on it?

Yes

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Littrell has a pretty good and improving young team.  Of the 26 players listed on the offensive depth chart for the bowl game, only 3 are seniors.  On defense only 5 of 22 players are seniors.

I agree things are different now.  Player can now transfer easily when a head coach and his staff leave. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

Littrell has a pretty good and improving young team.  Of the 26 players listed on the offensive depth chart for the bowl game, only 3 are seniors.  On defense only 5 of 22 players are seniors.

I agree things are different now.  Player can now transfer easily when a head coach and his staff leave. 

Yes he does but need I remind you that he has been here 6 years now.  About as long as it took me to get my bachelors degree at NT. That’s a long time!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

It sounds like you’re assuming all of those guys would hit the portal if Littrell were to leave?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Yes he does but need I remind you that he has been here 6 years now.  About as long as it took me to get my bachelors degree at NT. That’s a long time!

I received my bachelor's degree in 4 years.    It just takes some people longer than others, so let's cut Littrell some slack.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

To be fair, you probably walked the wrong stage at least twice, but the point stands. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1