UTSA has issues

Tom McKrackin

15 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I know I'm going to make people here pretty angry, but UTSA-SDSU absolutely SHOULD outdraw our bowl game.

They are 12-1, CUSA champs, facing an 11-2 SDSU team, and their game is in the evening. Yeah, they have to travel to Frisco, but that's it. They game has no reason not to sell out. Everything about that game is a bigger draw.

Also, we know UTSA fans don't have to worry about their jobs, so it makes little difference when the game is as long as they can siphon enough gas from their neighbors to make the trip.

Are Secret Shoppers allowed to take time off?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

This is why i hang out on this board.  There's probably more UTSA talk here than RowdyTalk.

Give it some time for UNT sell tickets. Should be a decent turn out.  But it is kind of hard to get hyped for a just-made-it last-minute bowl game.  Also hard on the 23rd.  Stay for the game or get on thefor Xmas?

Also, this is why we need to increase the bowl eligibility to 7Ws and reduce the bowls.  It'll give more value to these games.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 11
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

The forecast for the Frisco Bowl could be as low as 50 degrees at kickoff with a 31 percent chance of rain.

There's no way UTSA can play in those conditions.

What kind of shape is that Bermuda grass field at Toyota Stadium going to be in on Thursday (Dec. 23rd) if it rains on Tuesday (Dec. 21st) during the UTSA - San Diego State game?  I hope the Frisco Football Classic doesn't turn into a Mud Bowl Classic. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bash_Riprock said:

What kind of shape is that Bermuda grass field at Toyota Stadium going to be in on Thursday (Dec. 23rd) if it rains on Tuesday (Dec. 21st) during the UTSA - San Diego State game?  I hope the Frisco Football Classic doesn't turn into a Mud Bowl Classic. 

Why would you hope against that?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

This is why i hang out on this board.  There's probably more UTSA talk here than RowdyTalk.

Give it some time for UNT sell tickets. Should be a decent turn out.  But it is kind of hard to get hyped for a just-made-it last-minute bowl game.  Also hard on the 23rd.  Stay for the game or get on thefor Xmas?

Also, this is why we need to increase the bowl eligibility to 7Ws and reduce the bowls.  It'll give more value to these games.

Sub in @MeanGreenRoadrunnerfor Parkman and there ya go.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

I agree exactly 0.500 just seems cheap.  If they don’t change the standard to 7 wins then no team below 3rd place in their conference or division without 7 wins should be bowl eligible.  And/or FCS wins shouldn’t count towards the 6.  Most of the 6 win teams are 5-6 vs FBS competition that absolutely should not be bowl eligible.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I agree exactly 0.500 just seems cheap.  If they don’t change the standard to 7 wins then no team below 3rd place in their conference or division without 7 wins should be bowl eligible.  And/or FCS wins shouldn’t count towards the 6.  Most of the 6 win teams are 5-6 vs FBS competition that absolutely should not be bowl eligible.

It’s about the number of bowl games (which is about money) more than the number of wins for eligibility.  This is the first year I’ve seen where they’ve added a bowl game such that all eligible teams got in.  We’ve all seen years where teams that were eligible were left in the cold because there weren’t enough bowl games.  On the flip side, we’ve seen where ineligible teams made it to bowl games because there were more bowl games than eligible teams.  You could try to raise eligibility requirements, but first you’d need someone like attendance Nostradamus to predict how many teams would be 7-5 each year and then first kill off the excess bowl games.  There just aren’t bowl sponsors and committees that would put in the work preparing for a bowl only to be told that there weren’t enough teams to go around, IMO.  

• Upvote 5

Why reduce the number of games or raise the requirements.

Bowls now for the most part, are tv or streaming events, the attendance is only a secondary consideration.

If you don't want to watch a couple of close to .500 teams battle it out, don't.

I think most, would rather watch their favorite team play no matter what the record than a much higher rated team they have no connection with.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeanieGreenieTortilini said:

i refuse to believe they would have done this for any  other school than us

we are an up and coming school with great facilities and a loyal fan base and we will sell out our bowl game to prove the haters wrong

Emotion Reaction GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 hours ago, All About UNT said:

No.  It was another UTSA fan named Joseph XXXXX from Houston.  

UTSA fans... we know your board is a f'in joke but if you want to come over here and troll... at least be good at it. 

LMAO they don’t know how to be creative or successful 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think viewership/streams are top priority for the networks, attendance is top priority for the locals.  Hotels, restaurants, ticket sales for the host, etc...

Correct and I think they are creating an investment bubble that will burst.  It’s about supply and demand.  This is money grab that isn’t good for the sport long imo.  What I fear is that once the diminishing financial returns of minor bowl games gets to a level that doesn’t make Financial sense they will roll them back too far.  What I don’t want is a 8-4 North Texas team sitting at home in favor of a 6-6 Texas A&M.   That is bad for the growth in interest in the sport overall but just minor boost in revenue short term for a program like A&M that doesn’t need the money from the bowl. 

• Upvote 3