Recruit Names to Watch as NSD approaches UPDATED 12/13

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Won't matter if we don't have a QB coach that's worth a damn.

3 years of absolutely horrid QB coaching. Mason Fine is the greatest QB in UNT history, but the impact GH had on our QB room cannot be stated enough. 

It's been all downhill since the day he left.

I don’t understand the slander of the first year qb coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't need a guy learning on the job here.  NT is past that BS now.  Get a dude in here who can develop a QB.

Learning on the job? The guy is a former college QB. And almost a decade of txhsfb coaching experience. I think he is more than qualified. If those don’t meet your standards than over half the coaching staff is not fit to be coaching. UnT problems at qb started before the hiring of the current qb coach. Now if they struck out in recruiting and ruder does not progress next year then I can completely understand placing the blame on him

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Learning on the job? The guy is a former college QB. And almost a decade of txhsfb coaching experience. I think he is more than qualified. If those don’t meet your standards than over half the coaching staff is not fit to be coaching. UnT problems at qb started before the hiring of the current qb coach. Now if they struck out in recruiting and ruder does not progress next year then I can completely understand placing the blame on him

And, more importantly, he played QB under Briles whose Veer and Shoot offense we have implemented here. Bloesch and Tate Wallis, both from that Briles coaching tree, were the ones who headlined that offensive implementation in 2020 and I think Bloesch and Littrell felt Joseph’s familiarity with the system was important in that hiring decision.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Being a former player doesn't necessarily make you a good coach.   Is this season not his first as a QBs coach in college football (let alone FBS-level)?   Have we seen improvement in QB play from last season?   He may wind up being a really great coach someday, but NT needs someone who can help our QBs right now.  

41 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And, more importantly, he played QB under Briles whose Veer and Shoot offense we have implemented here. Bloesch and Tate Wallis, both from that Briles coaching tree, were the ones who headlined that offensive implementation in 2020 and I think Bloesch and Littrell felt Joseph’s familiarity with the system was important in that hiring decision.

The connections make sense, sure!
But that doesn't equate to being a good QBs coach.

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Being a former player doesn't necessarily make you a good coach.   Is this season not his first as a QBs coach in college football (let alone FBS-level)?   Have we seen improvement in QB play from last season?   He may wind up being a really great coach someday, but NT needs someone who can help our QBs right now.  

Yeah I was just more speaking to the “learning on the job” piece. Maybe could have gotten a more experienced FBS QB coach who didn’t have as much familiarity with the offense. In that case there’s learning on the job at teaching the offense and offensive install tasks, so it’s a matter of preference. They chose someone more familiar with the offense but inexperienced as an FBS QB coach rather than the opposite. 

I wouldn’t say he has done a good job developing QBs or that he’s exempt from blame. I just don’t look at QB development as a one-year evaluation cycle. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

Billy 

I agree if Riley Dodgegoes to TT as reported then they are SCREWED because he has no college experience, just a thought and quote unquote are in a Power 5 conference😀🏈

Zach Kttley of WKU was hired as their new OC. Would Dodge go as an Qb coach along with Ewers?

Edited by Wag Tag

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I may be wrong, but I want a QB coach that can teach mechanics first, how to read coverages second.  The OC, along with the QB Coach, can teach the specific scheme.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1

49 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

Billy 

I agree if Riley Dodgegoes to TT as reported then they are SCREWED because he has no college experience, just a thought and quote unquote are in a Power 5 conference😀🏈

Yea, I missed the dates for the revered Joseph family football camp. You know the one where the top quarterbacks in the state go? You probably can’t find them either.

You would be able to find it if his last name was Dodge though. https://footballscoop.com/news/how-to-train-championship-quarterback-todd-dodge

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

35-20 in Texas 5A doesn’t exactly scream FBS-ready coach.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Now if . . . ruder does not progress next year 

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

You got something similar last year and it didn’t (hasn’t?) worked out. 

Both these posts hit on something which is probably better than almost any QB we might land before next season.  Our best case scenario is that Ruder is really all that, and was just thrown to the wolves before he had a chance to get comfortable with our offense.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

You got something similar last year and it didn’t (hasn’t?) worked out. 

I would still like to see a P5 or a G6 transfer that had multiple P5 offers and 3 year plus availability than a kid who had 0 and has only completed 50% of his passes. Could Koop out of Houston be a possibility?

• Upvote 1