Frisco Classic Bowl

wardly

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sometimes reading the truth sucks. And if down voting truth brings you joy, down vote away. Doesn't make it not true. 

A some fans just show up when things don't go their way and complain about everything from the AD to the fan base.  It is what it is.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

6-6 is not great, but the players earned a bowl invitation and I'll be there to support that. And I don't just 'show up'. I'm always here, fool. 

Nah, if I took the time to scan your posts, which I won't, I bet 90% are negative.  It's what you do.  Well, that and change your screen name every year of two.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 3

37 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’m such a naive little green tinted glasses wearing, green kool-aid drinking dork.  I was online the day tickets went on sale because I was afraid it would sell out so quickly that I might not get tickets if I waited.  I see now that was completely unnecessary…though I do have great seats.

Me Too Samesies GIF

• Upvote 5

It is what it is. This game is on a terrible day and time and we are playing against a team that nobody around here cares about.

Look, the ending run has been great. SL saved his job, as this season was always going to be analyzed by the administration on how things went in these last 5 games against teams we could compete with. And it got us a bowl berth as a .500 team against an average MAC team. Add in the usual lack of any real AD-led marketing and you get 13k for real attendance for a bowl game. It probably won’t make the AAC leadership real thrilled about us, but hopefully we can finally win one of these bowl games and move forward. I think that a win might even get SL an extension, as the university isn’t going to want him going into this year with added pressure of a make-it-or-break-it season in 2022. 

But as for the fanbase being pathetic, it’s what outsiders think. Ask a DFW sports fan or media member…they won’t be shy about it. The talk is either optimistic—“sleeping giant, great location, and great facilities”—or it’s pessimistic—“only care about arts and music, never will care about sports, just a campus full of people only trying to get a degree and move on”. 

As for me, I believe the proof is clearly in the pudding regarding great support for UNT sports. Only way to get good attendance is completely dependent on the opponent. Otherwise, the numbers are usually just average to bad for attendance.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

We are all bonafide experts on what the problems are & have been for decades, but maybe it’s time for a few—
S-O-L-U-T-I-O-N-S ?  

Bashing North Texas & kicking the school in the nutsack seems a common theme with some of the clique that is on this forum.  There are those who seem to find joy in repeating those same old themes.  •••Surely dementia has not set in with a handful & they can no longer remember that they’ve already posted (again) the same old problems at UNT (again)? 

One might wonder if an SRO crowd at Toyota Stadium this Thursday would even disappoint a hardy handful on GMG because—Whoops! They’d suddenly have to put UNT bowl attendance on the back-burner?  The various points of all our problems at UNT get raised frequently & st times to levels of ad nauseam.  

A G5 existence & an existence in this new era of NIL will be something we will all have to get used to;  that is, until someone at the NCAA headquarters pulls the reins in with this “red ink creating” conundrum; that is except for the few mega-rich schools who probably created NIL in the first place. 
One Solution?  Would not a modest monthly stipend for the intercollegiate revenue-producing varsity sports athletes on campus have been the sensible (& more affordable) thing to do all the time?  The stipend thing was a discussion years & years ago, but is it too late for that now that the mega-monies genie is out of  the bottle?

🦅

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We are all bonafide experts on what the problems are & have been for decades, but maybe it’s time for a few—
S-O-L-U-T-I-O-N-S ?  

Bashing North Texas & kicking the school in the nutsack seems a common theme with some of the clique that is on this forum.  There are those who seem to find joy in repeating those same old themes.  •••Surely dementia has not set in with a handful & they can no longer remember that they’ve already posted (again) the same old problems at UNT (again)? 

One might wonder if an SRO crowd at Toyota Stadium this Thursday would even disappoint a hardy handful on GMG because—Whoops! They’d suddenly have to put UNT bowl attendance on the back-burner?  The various points of all our problems at UNT get raised frequently & st times to levels of ad nauseam.  

A G5 existence & an existence in this new era of NIL will be something we will all have to get used to;  that is, until someone at the NCAA headquarters pulls the reins in with this “red ink creating” conundrum; that is except for the few mega-rich schools who probably created NIL in the first place. 
One Solution?  Would not a modest monthly stipend for the intercollegiate revenue-producing varsity sports athletes on campus have been the sensible (& more affordable) thing to do all the time?  The stipend thing was a discussion years & years ago, but is it too late for that now that the mega-monies genie is out of  the bottle?

🦅

Stipends existed before NIL. Those were swept under the rug as "not good enough" and the news of them quickly died, though the existence of them still lived. 

The NIL probably needs some regulation. The issue at hand isn't so much the NIL, but the combination of NIL paired with college football free agency with 0 transfer repercussions. It's now pay for play. If you think for a second a school like UNT will EVER have a 4-year productive starter at QB, well you're dearly mistaken. NIL + free agency = free open market for these "student"-athletes. Until that sees a market correction, it's all going to be willy nilly. 

Lastly, no one is bashing UNT. Simply pointing out the major issues at hand. 

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 4

33 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Stipends existed before NIL. Those were swept under the rug as "not good enough" and the news of them quickly died, though the existence of them still lived. 

The NIL probably needs some regulation. The issue at hand isn't so much the NIL, but the combination of NIL paired with college football free agency with 0 transfer repercussions. It's now pay for play. If you think for a second a school like UNT will EVER have a 4-year productive starter at QB, well you're dearly mistaken. NIL + free agency = free open market for these "student"-athletes. Until that sees a market correction, it's all going to be willy nilly. 

Lastly, no one is bashing UNT. Simply pointing out the major issues at hand. 

So now we’re dearly mistaken?  What if we did have a 4 year UNT QB?   I’m sure you’d get on this forum & say: “Whoops! I was wrong about a 4 year QB at North Texas.” (?) 

Stipends?  I thought that was a good idea during the DKR era at UT & Grant Teaff era at Baylor.  SWC schools were apparently already beginning to pay for play even back then  (& those 2 probably knew it). Seems they were only trying to cut it off at the pass. 

I once read a feature on the subject of stipends from the Houston Chronicle’s (I believe) Mickey Herskowitz & that was a long time ago.  I’d guess before you were born?  Before a bunch of you were born matter of fact. 

I honestly don’t know what GMG would do without you explaining everything we should (apparently) already know about “all things North Texas.”  Thanks for your help. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

So now we’re dearly mistaken?  What if we did have a 4 year UNT QB?   I’m sure you’d get on this forum & say: “Whoops! I was wrong about a 4 year QB at North Texas.” (?) 

Stipends?  I thought that was a good idea during the DKR era at UT & Grant Teaff era at Baylor.  SWC schools were apparently already beginning to pay for play even back then  (& those 2 probably knew it). Seems they were only trying to cut it off at the pass. 

I once read a feature on the subject of stipends from the Houston Chronicle’s (I believe) Mickey Herskowitz & that was a long time ago.  I’d guess before you were born?  Before a bunch of you were born matter of fact. 

I honestly don’t know what GMG would do without you explaining everything we should (apparently) already know about “all things North Texas.”  Thanks for your help. 

You stated stipends as a solution. That's what I pulled from your drivel. Cfb already has it in place. That was the point. Don't know what else you're rambling about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I know the team is 6-6 but as fans we need to show up.  I know some work and cant get off but I would think between Plano Frisco Richardson we should be able to sell out the game.  I know it to far to drive to Denton for a game but Frisco.  Please buy your tickets and support the team and UNT.   I have been watching the bowl games and there are not a lot of people at any of the games so far.  

I don’t believe there’s been any with a team in the playing in their home market and largest alumni base (though it was close for ULL who had a very disappointing turnout). 

• Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

It also feels like the ticket roll out has been weird. We announce “sold out allotment” and to the casual fan, it looks like a legit sell out.  I’m not sure the announcement helped our cause. 

In 2014, HOD Bowl had Groupon and First Responders pushing tickets out.

The announcements I’ve seen about the allotment being sold out also included a link where to go to get tickets.  

From meangreensports.com:

image.png.7f1db9e3e8884643c45831dabfa7e59e.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Why the concern?  Are we running out of topics? 
We once had “about 40,000” for a local bowl game so how has 18,000 ticket sales this Thursday got some singing 🎶 To Dream the Impossible Dream?” 🎶🤔🙃

Matter a fact, we once drew approx. 50,000 against TAMU in what was called a UNT home game at Texas Stadium & I don’t care how many Aggie fans were there. We were there, too. (FWIW, it seems TCU & SMU thru the decades counted traveling Aggies over at Amon Carter & Texas Stadium, respectively, too—so we’re not allowed to do that?  Jeez-Louise.😩  

Even at 6 & 6 (& some of us said it before) but it will still  be “day of game walk up ticket sales” that puts this game over the top at the turnstiles & attendance-wise. ( If not I’ll gladly eat some chicken fried crow with a side of unfrigerated honeydew 🍈 melon). 

Pardon me while my head explodes!🤢

image.jpeg.cd0e619b67572316e01f708cb08b627d.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, THOR said:

iĺl be there...if 19,999 of my most non friends are there, awesome...if no, awesome....gonna be a great day no matter what

I'll be there plus 2.  Lets keep this going! 

• Upvote 1