DRC: UNT to part ways with volleyball coach Andrew Palileo

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.   The winningest Volleyball coach in NT history with a 59% win-% and a Conference Championship in his trophy case isn't good enough for Wren Baker & his vision for the program...  interesting.    It's not like Palileo was a .500, or lower, coach.

Palileo should have worked hard on making friends with certain donors. Apparently wins is not enough to remain for some coaches.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So your stance is that we should not take a chance at breaking through and reaching the next level. Better to be safe and pile up wins, even if they do not help us move up? So, let's be just good enough, but don't get out of the comfort zone. 

So your stance is NT should  change coaches because Hedlund has never won an NCAA playoff game? 

My concern would be that the last two year records have been way below the standard Hedlund has established. 

The three years before, NT lost the opening NCAA tourney games to #8 Arkansas, #16 A&M and #18 UT

I have no idea what comfort zone you are referencing.   If you mean NT should fire their most successful coach because he has not been able to beat a top 20 school in the playoffs, than I do disagree.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

28 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

So your stance is NT should  change coaches because Hedlund has never won an NCAA playoff game? 

My concern would be that the last two year records have been way below the standard Hedlund has established. 

The three years before, NT lost the opening NCAA tourney games to #8 Arkansas, #16 A&M and #18 UT

I have no idea what comfort zone you are referencing.   If you mean NT should fire their most successful coach because he has not been able to beat a top 20 school in the playoffs, than I do disagree.  

Not speaking for EP directly, but I think his point and many others is not that Hedlund is a bad coach, but at what point do we expect more than just winning conference and being happy to just show up at the NCAA and play defensive ball. For all Hedlund has done and the numerous NCAA Trips his teams have still yet to even score a goal. Why can we not expect more? Win more games in the regular season so the team does not draw a Top 16 seed first round. Expecting more is not a knock on the coaches, but it seems clear a plateau has been reached. Much like SL, great we are going to another bowl game, but how about winning one as well. Same argument was made with DD, he won conference games but no-showed in OOC and 3 of 4 bowl games.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Not speaking for EP directly, but I think his point and many others is not that Hedlund is a bad coach, but at what point do we expect more than just winning conference and being happy to just show up at the NCAA and play defensive ball. For all Hedlund has done and the numerous NCAA Trips his teams have still yet to even score a goal. Why can we not expect more? Win more games in the regular season so the team does not draw a Top 16 seed first round. Expecting more is not a knock on the coaches, but it seems clear a plateau has been reached. Much like SL, great we are going to another bowl game, but how about winning one as well. Same argument was made with DD, he won conference games but no-showed in OOC and 3 of 4 bowl games.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, untbowler said:

I get the consistency angle here in demanding more from EVERYONE...

But there is a cavernous difference between what Hedlund is doing with the Soccer ladies in expecting conference championships every single year VS what Littrell is doing with Football (let's be happy with #hit6!).   
There may be an upside in replacing Hedlund, sure!   But I think it would be very, very risky because the margin is not very big (we're talking, instead of just winning a conference championship, we should also expect to knock off ranked teams at their houses in the NCAAs every year as well!)   ...Whereas the margin between 3 seasons of 41% winning football VS even competing for conference championships every single year (let alone expecting to win them) is quite a jump!   
I can guarantee you if Hedlund turns in 3 years of 41% winning, he's gone.  Heck, if he turned in 2 seasons of winning 36%, he'd be run out with gnashing of teeth around here.    But that's because of the expectations he, himself, has set for his program.   
Littrell set some high expectations for himself after 3 seasons, then underperformed woefully, yet is vigorously defended... it makes no sense.

PS:   It's not as if NT is not competitive in their NCAA tourney losses either.    Can you imagine what would happen to NT Football if we played a top 25 team on their home field in the postseason?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

This.

Also, those worried about the step up from CUSA to the AAC need to remember the same was said when we moved from the Sun Belt to CUSA.  Conference isn't my concern.  It is his ability to take the program to the next level.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Very hard to get a higher seed being in the CUSA championship.  

You do know that Dickey went 5-18 in his last two years at NT plus had a lot of off the field issues. 

It takes a real stretch to compare Dickey and Hedlund.    

• Thanks 1