DRC: UNT to part ways with volleyball coach Andrew Palileo

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, untbowler said:

interesting 50 games over .500 and released, but .500 ball at $2 million gives more time. Was this a firing or just a contract not renewed, much like Benford not being renewed?

Few more coaches that probably should not be renewed. 

Was wondering the same thing, Sounds like his contract was not renewed. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Honestly wouldn’t mind this in women’s soccer either. The program needs someone who can take the next step. 

Several down votes already for this post but how many NCAA Tournaments have we been into just to bow out in the first round? Admittedly I don't follow the sport at any level very much, but disappointing to have such a down year the season we woo the football prodigy Sarah Fuller. Seemed like another blown opportunity for more publicity (as much publicity as women's soccer can get you).

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

7 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Several down votes already for this post but how many NCAA Tournaments have we been into just to bow out in the first round? Admittedly I don't follow the sport at any level very much, but disappointing to have such a down year the season we woo the football prodigy Sarah Fuller. Seemed like another blown opportunity for more publicity (as much publicity as women's soccer can get you).

We have never scored a goal in the NCAA tournament. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

Yeah let’s fire the guy that has a 70% win rate and 16 conference championships. Ask the Longhorns how difficult it is to find the guy to “take the next step”

I used to hold that same position. I’d argue with @Travisabout it. But no longer. Things will get a little tougher in the American. But having a winning record and winning CUSA is an incredibly low bar in this talent rich area. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

I used to hold that same position. I’d argue with @Travisabout it. But no longer. Things will get a little tougher in the American. But having a winning record and winning CUSA is an incredibly low bar in this talent rich area. 

I can see where you’re coming from but I still think it would be a bad move.. particularly right as you’re moving into a new, higher level conference. Let’s see how the program reacts. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I can see where you’re coming from but I still think it would be a bad move.. particularly right as you’re moving into a new, higher level conference. Let’s see how the program reacts. 

I think that’s fair to see how we do in the American. But with the talent in this area we should be comparable to SMU. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Yeah let’s fire the guy that has a 70% win rate and 16 conference championships. Ask the Longhorns how difficult it is to find the guy to “take the next step”

Talent rich area for all sports! Also women’s soccer has won more CUSA titles (8) than all the unt sports combined!

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Honestly wouldn’t mind this in women’s soccer either. The program needs someone who can take the next step. 

Ever think that the next step might be a mediocre or worst program?

If NT got rid of their head coaches that didn't win in the NCAA playoffs, I guess we would have McCasland and nobody else.   

Hedlund, Mitchell, Delong; I hope NT keeps them happy and at NT.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Ever think that the next step might be a mediiorie or worst program?

If NT got rid of their head coaches that didn't win in the NCAA playoffs, I guess we would have McCasland and nobody else.   

This is such a tired argument. He’s been here for almost 30 years. Completely different situation than our other coaches. There’s an argument to keep him for sure. But the vigor with which he is edefended when anyone mentions the idea of maybe trying something different is wild. Especially when, in my opinion, the program has pretty clearly plateaued. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Ever think that the next step might be a mediiorie or worst program?

So your stance is that we should not take a chance at breaking through and reaching the next level. Better to be safe and pile up wins, even if they do not help us move up? So, let's be just good enough, but don't get out of the comfort zone. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Somewhat surprising, but I guess it explains why NT has not announced any volleyball recruits.

Wonder if this change was decided some time ago and if the replacement has already been chosen. 

If I am looking at the roster right, there are lots of sports to be filled. 

NT actually had good teams in 2018 and 2019.  Last two years were disappointing at 11-11 (6-6) and 15-12 (7-5).

Sign of what Baker expects with the standards he is establishing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So your stance is that we should not take a chance at breaking through and reaching the next level. Better to be safe and pile up wins, even if they do not help us move up? So, let's be just good enough, but don't get out of the comfort zone. 

The stance is you see what the guy who wins against his peer competition does when we step up who our peers are.

The bet is that he’s able to continue to win.  In order to do that he’d presumably have to pull in better talent.  That would get us a step closer to the talent level of the teams we’re playing in the tournament and increases our odds of winning.

In summary, you stick with Hedlund.

• Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is such a tired argument. He’s been here for almost 30 years. Completely different situation than our other coaches. There’s an argument to keep him for sure. But the vigor with which he is edefended when anyone mentions the idea of maybe trying something different is wild. Especially when, in my opinion, the program has pretty clearly plateaued. 

I heard a couple former players admit they didn't think Hedlund will ever advance the program beyond its current state. This was probably around 2013 so time has shown they were correct. He’s simply too conservative and defensive minded. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

IYou are spot on. And moving to the AAC competition will be better.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He had the same stance against firing Seth.  I guess unless we're hiring the Nick Saban of volleyball, he would keep him. 

• Upvote 2

As an avid fan and player, I'm not surprised. Palileo was a solid coach, but has been stagnant the last few years (of course competing with WKU is a tall task for anyone in Volleyball). He's had arguably two of the best outsides our program has seen with Valerian and Rhett Robinson and has done nothing with them. Skopal has also been a great setter although the Guillain-Barre deal was tough on her.

I feel like his teams always have the one stud, with several supporting cast members, but in order to be competitive you have to have rock solid hitting options at every position. Even if they're not great passers, you can compensate with a couple DS's. If you've only got one option that's your go-to it makes the offense a lot more predictable.

• Upvote 2