When I saw MIAMI, I thought "Oh no."

greenjoe

But then, I saw that "O" was followed by " HIO."  As in "of Ohio."

Growing up,  on Saturdays, I had to wait for ever to see who won and who lost.  I was always amused at Slippery Rock, and William and Mary and of MIAMI of Ohio.  I haven't given them too much thought since then.  And now, they are the most important thing in my mind.  Since the announcement, I've learned they count former speaker Paul Ryan and TINA LOUISE as alums.  Tina Louise !  I liked Mary Ann but Ginger, the movie star, now that was a woman.  I expect her to be dressed in red and white December 23, but I'm going to find her and get a photo made with her.  I'll post it here after the game.  I'll make her forget all about the professor and the millionaire, and his wife.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, oldredhawk said:

Miami is the only university in the US to claim a President (Benjamin Harrison), a Super Bowl winning QB (Brn Roethlisberger), a Miss America (Susan Perkins 1976) and an NBA first round draft choice  and NBA Champion (Ron Harper). Known for decades as the Crafle of Coaches, we currently have two alumni serving as head coaches in the NFL - John Harbaugh for the Ravens and Sean McVey for the Rams.

Founded in 1809, Miami is the second oldest university in Ohio behind Ohio University in Athens (1804), making her the 10th oldest public university in America. Our Oxford campus was once called “the prettiest campus there ever was” by none other than legendary poet Robert Frost.  

With an enrollment of about 19,000 on its flagship campus in Oxford, Miami University is a public research university with a primary emphasis on undergraduate education. It is consistently ranked among the Top 50 national public universities in the US News and World Report annual college rankings - currently tied for #46. 

Miami has two additional campuses in Southwestern Ohio located in Middletown and Hamilton and the Dolibois European Center in Luxembourg. 

Athletically, Miami Football teams were considered “giant killers” throughout much of the past 50 years - with wins over LSU, Kentucky, Indiana, Purdue, North Carolina, Maryland and others. Miami was the only team to beat Northwestern’s 1995 Rose Bowl team before its loss to USC on New Year’s Day. In 1997, Miami ended Virginia Tech’s 14 game winning streak in Blacksburg. In the mid-70s Miami teams went 33-1-1 over three seasons, beating Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in consecutive Tangerine Bowls. Miami’s 2003 team, led by Big Ben, defeated Louisville by 20 points in the GMAC Bowl and finished the season ranked #10, it’s only loss coming in its opener at #6 Iowa. It marked the second time Miami finished the season ranked at #10 (1974). 

Miami’s 2010 team became the only team in NCAA football history to go from double digit losses to double digit wins kn one year when it beat Middle Tennessee in the Go Daddy Bowl. 

And the RedHawks became the only team kn NCAA history to win its last six games after losing its first six in 201) - losing 17-16 on a blocked last minute FG to Mississippi State in the St Petersburg Bowl. 

limited to playing only 3 games in 2030 due to COVID, Miami is working to restore itself to its former place as football’s giant killer. Approximately 75% of this years roster is classified as either true freshmen or redshirt freshmen. Ther are only 10 seniors on the 2021 RedHawks team. 

Freaking great.   
You guys have also mastered time travel, and come back just to tell us we're still jacking with COVID 9 years from now?
tantrum-not-in-the-mood.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Yep. But we sure as Hell picked the wrong year to play them in football.  Our 5-6 team was drubbed by them in November 1987 in the old Orange Bowl. They just happened to finish 12-0 that season, winning the National Championship after beating Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl game. We open with them at the Hard Rock on Labor Day weekend in 2023. 

im sure we’ve probably played them in other sports - like basketball, baseball or softball. I don’t really remember if we did or didn’t. 

Even though we’re struggling in the NCHC this season. I’m also pretty sure we could whip their butts if they wanted come up to the Goggin and play us in ice hockey. 

Edited by oldredhawk
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, oldredhawk said:

Miami is the only university in the US to claim a President (Benjamin Harrison), a Super Bowl winning QB (Ben Roethlisberger), a Miss America (Susan Perkins 1976), and an NBA first round draft choice/NBA Champion (Ron Harper)...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldredhawk said:

Miami is the only university in the US to claim a President (Benjamin Harrison), a Super Bowl winning QB (Ben Roethlisberger), a Miss America (Susan Perkins 1976), and an NBA first round draft choice/NBA Champion (Ron Harper). Known for decades in football as the Cradle of Coaches, we currently have two alumni serving as head coaches in the NFL - John Harbaugh for the Ravens and Sean McVey for the Rams.

Founded in 1809, Miami is the second oldest university in Ohio behind Ohio University in Athens (1804), making her the 10th oldest public university in America. Our Oxford campus was once called “the prettiest campus there ever was” by none other than legendary poet Robert Frost.  

With an enrollment of about 19,000 on its flagship campus in Oxford, Miami University is a public research university with a primary emphasis on undergraduate education. It is consistently ranked among the Top 50 national public universities in the US News and World Report annual college rankings - currently tied for #46.  It was named one of the original “Public Ivies” in a book by author Richard Moll. 

Miami has two additional campuses in Southwestern Ohio located in Middletown and Hamilton and the Dolibois European Center in Luxembourg. The university’s total enrollment is about 24,000 - a little less than half of UNT’s. 

Athletically, Miami Football teams were considered “giant killers” throughout much of the past 50 years - with wins over LSU, Kentucky, Indiana, Purdue, North Carolina, Maryland and others. Miami was the only team to beat Northwestern’s 1995 Rose Bowl team before its loss to USC on New Year’s Day. In 1997, Miami ended Virginia Tech’s 14 game winning streak in Blacksburg. In the mid-70s Miami teams went 33-1-1 over three seasons, beating Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in consecutive Tangerine Bowls. Miami’s 2003 team, led by Big Ben, defeated Louisville by 20 points in the GMAC Bowl and finished the season ranked #10, it’s only loss coming in its opener at #6 Iowa. It marked the second time Miami finished the season ranked at #10 (1974). 

Miami’s 2010 team became the only team in NCAA football history to go from double digit losses to double digit wins kn one year when it beat Middle Tennessee in the Go Daddy Bowl. 

And the RedHawks became the only team kn NCAA history to win its last six games after losing its first six in 2016) - losing its final game 17-16 on a blocked last minute FG to Mississippi State in the St Petersburg Bowl. 

limited to playing only 3 games in 2020 due to COVID, Miami is working to restore itself to its former place as football’s giant killer. Approximately 75% of this years roster is classified as either true freshmen or redshirt freshmen. There are only 10 seniors on the 2021 RedHawks team. Miami’s 2022 recruiting class is currently listed as the #1 class in the MAC. 

You know what Miami-OH is not? The HOME OF HAPPINESS baby!

Denton 1, Miami-OH 0

Frank-N-Furter.jpg?format=1500w

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

They have really had some great coaches come through there indeed.  And players as well.

Indeed. One of those players faces off against the Vikings in about three hours. Not as mobile or fleet as he once was, but perhaps enough in the tank to sneak the Steelers into the playoffs. And subsequently, another playoff loss.

Tyre, Lebanon Friday Weather: A few passing clouds, otherwise generally sunny. High 72F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.

17 hours ago, oldredhawk said:

Oxford has been named America’s best college town in several surveys done over a number of years. 

BTW "Ol'Red", welcome to our forum. We welcome one and all who want to participate/play.  As long as you keep you comments either factual or "David Letterman"-like snarky, you'll do fine. 

Let me give you one bit of history/clarification about the nickname that we are most known by "The Mean Green".  WE DID NOT GET IT FROM JOE GREENE.......HE GOT IT FROM US! And FWIW, he never really liked being called "Mean Joe Greene". As you already know our official mascot is the Eagle (voted on by the NTSTC student body in 1922. Second and third place was the Lions and Dragons.) 

Here is a post that clarifies the issue. Posted by our most staunch and certainly most visible fan. And that cannon in his post is the real thing.....rebuilt by him. It is an old school civil war era cannon that has to be hand loaded......civil war era style. It's no toy. It shakes the stadium when it goes off.

\

FirefightnRick

• Popular Post

Per a 1966 Randy Galloway Dallas Newspaper report on the Mean Green.

http://i.imgur.com/2eQvGgN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/El4SVxh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Evq9ypA.jpg

Big Joe was never referred to as "Mean" Joe Green in print until after he started to shine in Pittsburgh years later.  

Rick

Edited August 15, 2015 by FirefightnRick
  • Skeptical Eagle 1