Miami of Ohio vs North Texas at Frisco Football Classic Dec. 23 2:30PM CT

Coach Andy Mac

From what I understand and I could be wrong, this is really not a new bowl game. It is the replacement for the San Franciso/Redbox Bowl. It has gone by several names over the years such as Emerald Bowl, Fight Hunger Bowl, and Foster Farms Bowl, but the original name was the San Francisco Bowl. COVID has caused it to cancel the last couple of years so they decided to move it to Frisco because the COVID restrictions in San Francisco and California are too much. That is my understanding. Can anyone shed some light on that?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Venson said:

From what I understand and I could be wrong, this is really not a new bowl game. It is the replacement for the San Franciso/Redbox Bowl. It has gone by several names over the years such as Emerald Bowl, Fight Hunger Bowl, and Foster Farms Bowl, but the original name was the San Francisco Bowl. COVID has caused it to cancel the last couple of years so they decided to move it to Frisco because the COVID restrictions in San Francisco and California are too much. That is my understanding. Can anyone shed some light on that?

This is correct. 

6 hours ago, Venson said:

This is true. It's the Redbox Bowl back to life - and if i understand, the primary purpose of that was to allow Hawaii to stay home

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Looks like I might have to camp out in Frisco for several nights to watch UTSA and UNT. 

But focusing on UNT here, this game is a christmas gift win for them. If they dont win this, I don't know how long Littrell has left.  It would suck to have to cut the HC only a week after early NSD.

15 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Looks like I might have to camp out in Frisco for several nights to watch UTSA and UNT. 

But focusing on UNT here, this game is a christmas gift win for them. If they dont win this, I don't know how long Littrell has left.  It would suck to have to cut the HC only a week after early NSD.

They don’t have to if they lose but if they don’t it only means there aren’t better options available.  I just hope the 6 years of experience and learning from his mistakes payoff big time in year 7.   My fear is his ceiling going forward is 8-4 and 2 or 3rd place in their CUSA/AAC we will waste a decade just being on the plus side of mediocre.  Even after 3 years at that ceiling we don’t get to the goal of selling out Apogee.  We have to do that for recruiting and make those bigger steps we all dream of.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... and to allow Miami, OH to play, as most prognostications had them as the 1 bowl-eligible team out.

I heard Miami's win over Long Island U was not counted as a qualifying FCS win, thus only 5 wins for Bowl consideration?   LIU had not met the requirements yet for that?  Miami would be sitting home.

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Even after 3 years at that ceiling we don’t get to the goal of selling out Apogee.  We have to do that for recruiting and make those bigger steps we all dream of.

Man, of all my years up in Denton, I always got to 2-3 games in at Apogee. Not once do I remember it getting near capacity - even during the back-to-back 9 win seasons.

As a Roadrunner first it used to frustrate me sitting there being jealous of all the classic football tradition UNT has, and that UTSA is still growing, yet so many empty seats in Apogee.

I do wonder if Apogee could sell out if UNT ever went on an 11-0 run.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Man, of all my years up in Denton, I always got to 2-3 games in at Apogee. Not once do I remember it getting near capacity - even during the back-to-back 9 win seasons.

As a Roadrunner first it used to frustrate me sitting there being jealous of all the classic football tradition UNT has, and that UTSA is still growing, yet so many empty seats in Apogee.

Bro, we got to 30,000 at just 4-0. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Well seeing as we've had 30,000 with 8 and 9-win seasons, I have no doubt we could reach the little bit left to sell it out if we actually were undefeated 9 or 10 games in. In fact, I don't think there's any doubt we'd sell out if we were 9-0 or 10-0 going into a home game. 

I mean, UTSA was 9-0 before hitting 30k.

• Upvote 1