UTEP gets New Mexico bowl vs Fresno

Coach Andy Mac

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Poor UTEP.   Fresno St is really good.

Fresno’s coach got hired by Washington and their QB is in the portal already (likely returning to Washington, where he began his college career). Rumors of a few more star players hitting portal before the bowl game so UTEP may get a very depleted Fresno team.

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Did UTSA get the shaft going to the Frisco Bowl, they were the league champions and lost one game.  Seems they would have got a higher in the food chain bowl game?

SDSU was ranked for several weeks this season, just like UTSA.   The better question is how did the Frisco Bowl nab these two teams?  I would expect these two to play in a bigger bowl!

• Upvote 3

These two teams might be the "reward" for quickly hosting the 2nd Game

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SDSU was ranked for several weeks this season, just like UTSA.   The better question is how did the Frisco Bowl nab these two teams?  I would expect these two to play in a bigger bowl!

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

better question for sure..........

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

SDSU is still ranked.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UTSA fans attended well at home this year but will they travel?  They should be going to Independence Bowl vs. BYU.  Perhaps the 'Runners don't travel well and maybe Shreveport wanted UAB?  Frisco will be a test for UTSA future road appeal.

• Upvote 1

UTSA got screwed by BYU or ESPN.  It appeared like Shreveport was the destination and was all but secured.  Even hearing Independence Bowl reps had been to the last several UTSA home games.

So either 1) ESPN felt UTSA v SDSU makes for better TV on a Tuesday night.  I'm all for this match-up, but it sucks for UTSA to go from winning a title in front of 41k to a bowl game of 17k.

Or 2) BYU was waiting for something bigger but still fell back to the Ind. Bowl and didn't want a UTSA rematch from last season (they may have a lot of say in that one).

Also to someone's previous question, UTSA has proven to travel.  When we went to the New Mexico Bowl they traveled very strong. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

UTSA got screwed by BYU or ESPN.  It appeared like Shreveport was the destination and was all but secured.  Even hearing Independence Bowl reps had been to the last several UTSA home games.

So either 1) ESPN felt UTSA v SDSU makes for better TV on a Tuesday night.  I'm all for this match-up, but it sucks for UTSA to go from winning a title in front of 41k to a bowl game of 17k.

Or 2) BYU was waiting for something bigger but still fell back to the Ind. Bowl and didn't want a UTSA rematch from last season (they may have a lot of say in that one).

Also to someone's previous question, UTSA has proven to travel.  When we went to the New Mexico Bowl they traveled very strong. 

What makes you think there is going to be 17k people there? 

Man, im happy UTEP is going bowling. It's a good match-up for them.  Hoping they get the dub. 

While on the topic of UTEP: should they stay with C-USA or go independent?  I really don't know what the better move for them.  But after the season they had, I'm waiting for some other positive UTEP news.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Man, im happy UTEP is going bowling. It's a good match-up for them.  Hoping they get the dub. 

While on the topic of UTEP: should they stay with C-USA or go independent?  I really don't know what the better move for them.  But after the season they had, I'm waiting for some other positive UTEP news.

Thoughts?

Independent would be a very bad move. Just ask NMSU. 

• Upvote 2