Should QB's be allowed to "fake" a slide?

El Paso Eagle

Yeah did this even get reviewed at the time? I would think the argument could’ve been made that when his foot goes back, his shin is making contact with turf and he’s effectively down. 

Regardless, no, I don’t think a fake slide should be allowed. The second the QB APPEARS to be giving himself up, he’s giving himself up and the play is dead. We’re already asking too much of defenders to have them 2nd-guessing a play designed for AB safety. 

Until something changes, defenders should just start ignoring the slide altogether. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

IMO, once you cross the LOS, there should be no further protections for the QB… but stringently enforce the existing targeting rule.

They should also start enforcing targeting on the Offense (for example when a RB lowers their head to hit someone)?

By the current NCAA rules the quarterback is down at the spot where he initiates a slide. It is like making a fair catch signal. He cannot advance the ball further nor decide not to continue the slide. The rule is for his own protection.

In this case the officiating crew simply blew the call.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The QB never left his feet to start the slide though. He just "leaned" like he was. 

I don't see how a fake slide is even possible under the existing rules. If the quarterback does something like a slide, it's a slide. Motive doesn't matter.

If a quarterback looks like the Keep On Truckin' Guy running down the field, it's a slide.

7f6a1c61c436adb7dc01b9401f5c8943.jpg

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

20 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The QB never left his feet to start the slide though. He just "leaned" like he was. Reminds me of this:

The difference is that on this punt return Brewer never signaled fair catch which happens before you take possession of the ball. Brewer took a tremendous risk of getting blown up big time by just catching the ball hanging out. The coverage team assumed he had called for a fair catch because he didn’t attempt to advance the ball.

On the fake slide, he is in active possession of the ball and advancing it in real time, once the quarterback signals he is giving himself up by initiating a slide the defense freezes as they are taught so they aren’t ejected. If Brewer had sort of raised his hand to pretend to call for a fair catch, I’d agree with you but that never happened.

4 minutes ago, shaft said:

I'm still not sold on QB slides.  So fake slides are definite no.  You are asking the defender to do to much to protect the QB on a slide, but still be ready to take him down on a fake slide.

100% agree, Once the QB takes off with the ball and passes the lone he is a runner.

• Upvote 1

Simple solution: As an official,  you blow the whistle quickly when you see the slide start. It protects the QB and if he does the BS fake slide, it reverts to inadvertent whistle rules. They can take the ball where it was blown dead or run the play over. Even without a rule change, you can stop this crap.

Or, just let them go for his head on a slide. 

• Upvote 2