Can Littrell be our……Harbaugh?

TheColonyEagle

Different scales and standards….But Harbaugh’s seat was scorching hot. He was basically done. A large part of their fans wanted him fired….

The school stayed with him, didn’t fire him….he came back this year under a cloud of doubt. They were unranked and picked to finish 4th in their division. 

Now look at Harbaugh…..

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

How about Seth Littrell be our ... Seth Littrell. 

I don't understand why having a mixed record is such a difficult concept. He turned around a 1 win team to a 5 win team in season 1 which is a HUGE improvement. He then had back to back 9 win season - something at had not happed in over 40 years. He then had 2 1/2 terrible seasons. But the second half of this season he got the team to turn it around. The team didn't quit on the coach. They won six straight including beating two bowl teams. After six seasons, he's got a .500 record. 

It's a mixed record, certainly not the worst ever nor unbelievably good. He's in the middle. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’m saying: are there people at Michigan that are now glad they didn’t fire Harbaugh when a larger portion wanted to just a year ago? And will we be in the same boat with Littrell? 

We’d have a better feel for this getting a decent opponent for the bowl game, but some people seem to want to play Celina High School just to get a W. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm all for the optimism, but this is a bad analogy.

Harbaugh went to Michigan, was the quarterback, his dad coached there, then he made is name in the NFL.  It's not really the same thing.  But yes, UNT should stick with a coach that get's them to multiple bowl games (even if he doesn't win all of them.)

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, shaft said:

Harbaugh went to Michigan, was the quarterback, his dad coached there, then he made is name in the NFL.  It's not really the same thing.  But yes, UNT should stick with a coach that get's them to multiple bowl games (even if he doesn't win all of them.)

#Hit6
#OLDDENTONLIVES

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Different scales and standards….But Harbaugh’s seat was scorching hot. He was basically done. A large part of their fans wanted him fired….

The school stayed with him, didn’t fire him….he came back this year under a cloud of doubt. They were unranked and picked to finish 4th in their division. 

Now look at Harbaugh…..

If by that you mean that instead of getting fired he agreed to a restructured deal that was less base salary and more incentive based, and then won that bet on himself, then I am all for getting such a restructured deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

JH put his money where his mouth was. He restructured and took less base money to stay. Don't see Seth and Wren doing a deal like that.

JH will make a lot of Bonus money this year - Good for him. He is also giving it all back to the athletic department to give to staff that took pay cuts due to Covid. Class act!

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, shaft said:

He has not won any yet. 

If we were in the AAC this year and played this bad we would likely only have one win. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Now look at Harbaugh…..

I had the same thought toward the end of the game.  I hope we can be so fortunate.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

So did I read correctly that out of the 14 total bowls the Mean Green have played, six of them will have been coached by Seth Littell?

This will be the 5th Bowl under Seth

1. 2016  - 5 wins - lost 38-31 to Army (Not enough 6 win teams - rewarded for APR)
  2. 2017  - 9 wins - lost 50-30 to Troy
  3. 2018  - 9 wins - lost 52-13 to Utah State
  4. 2020 - 4 wins - lost 56-25 to App State (Covid fill in due to not enough teams available)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This will be the 5th Bowl under Seth

1. 2016  - 5 wins - lost 38-31 to Army (Not enough 6 win teams - rewarded for APR)
  2. 2017  - 9 wins - lost 50-30 to Troy
  3. 2018  - 9 wins - lost 52-13 to Utah State
  4. 2020 - 4 wins - lost 56-25 to App State (Covid fill in due to not enough teams available)

It makes me cringe a little when people tout Littrell's Bowl "accomplishments"

Up until this year, he's had us bowl eligible 2 times not 4 times. Lowered bowl eligibility standards don't mean a coach did a great job.

Hopefully he bucks another trend this year and wins this bowl. I'm feeling good about our momentum.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Horrible comparison

1. JH wasn’t the highest paid HC in his division 

2. Seth’s program has continuous FBS level play, tenure in position, location, and facilities advantage on most of his division rivals.  JH doesn’t have that. 

We need to stop these comparisons and just look forward to 2022.  I think most likely he will be here.  I wish there was an awesome HC in waiting anxiously awaiting coming here and staying for a decade.  But he doesn’t exist right now.

• Eye Roll 1