NCAA adds new Texas Bowl Game

Tom McKrackin

I suspect that the driving forces behind this new bowl game are Wren Baker, Dr. Smatresk, G. Brint Ryan, and Mike Aresco of the AAC.  I would not be surprised for the game sponsor to be Ryan LLC, and I expect the game will be held at Toyota stadium, given the relationships that already exist.  The only question is whether NT will play in this bowl.

Personally, I think that Toyota stadium has too small of a capacity for the number of NT fans who would attend a bowl so close to home.  Yes, we've never sold out Apogee, but we did have 35,000 or so at the HOD Bowl in 2013.  We certainly could sell way more tickets than the 20,500 that Toyota stadium holds, and that doesn't include the number of tickets our opponent might sell.

If we're in it, I'd love to see the game be played at Apogee instead, but I don't think that's realistic given that it's our home stadium (although that's OK for the Hawaii bowl), the limited number of hotel rooms in Denton, and, unfortunately, the lack of support by the Denton community for NT athletics. 

So my hope is that NT gets to play in the Armed Forces Bowl against another Texas school, and this new bowl then has a couple of out-of-state schools invited.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Brett McMurphy currently has the "New Unnamed Texas Bowl" being played between Tulsa and North Texas.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3396531/there-were-too-many-bowl-eligible-teams-so-the-ncaa-simply-created-a-new-bowl-game-on-three-weeks-notice

The "Ryan Red River Revelry" Bowl in Frisco between North Texas and Tulsa?  I could go for that.

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't know what they expect, add a bowl with no time to market it or sell it to the locals.   The Star might be the place UNT could sell it out but what would the payout be $350.75?

We don’t need “locals” to fill any venue in Frisco and our fans will have as much advance notice as any other bowl. If we can’t fill 17,000 seats for a local bowl game let’s just call it quits and become a division 2 powerhouse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

We don’t need “locals” to fill any venue in Frisco and our fans will have as much advance notice as any other bowl. If we can’t fill 17,000 seats for a local bowl game let’s just call it quits and become a division 2 powerhouse. 

True, this thing is gonna be a 'Sea of Green' and sell out quickly. The tickets are going to be purchased by parents as Christmas gifts as soon as the event date is set.

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, NM Green said:

Add to the bowl bizarre that we played in The Salad Bowl I believe it was called way back in the day. I’d take the Dawg Bowl just win!

We did play the Salad Bowl. It was a new bowl in 1948 and the organizers invited two unranked teams that had never been in a bowl: 8-2 Nevada and 10-1 UNT.

Then things got weird, as they often have in our bowl history. Nevada accepted the bid but later refused to play:

Much of the game’s drama, however, took place before kickoff. Nevada-Reno initially accepted the bid, but rescinded when North Texas was announced as their opponent, deeming them uncompetitive. The school finally agreed to play under threat of legal action. Nevada-Reno won the game 13-6 before 12,500 fans on January 1.

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

CFN has us playing Eastern Michigan in "TEXAS BOWL", and SMU vs Air Force in Ft. Worth

The TEXAS BOWL is in Houston. I think you're referring to the Yet to be Named Bowl in Frisco. But, even if it's EMU, I wouldn't mind having the Green Eagles around because their few fans would be very well camouflaged on television and in photographs.

Edited by ADLER
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, mgfan said:

We are going to the frisco bowl.

opponent tbd.

The December 21 FRISCO BOWL, or the new As Yet Unnamed Bowl in Texas in Frisco. And where are you getting your information? (please provide link so my Bride will let me go ahead and purchase tickets)

Edited by ADLER

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

The TEXAS BOWL is in Houston. I think you're referring to the Yet to be Named Bowl in Frisco. But, even if it's EMU, I wouldn't mind having the Green Eagles around because their few fans would be very well camouflaged on television and in photographs.

My bad. You are correct. Odds are that we will be playing in either the Frisco Bowl or the yet unnamed bowl also to be played in Frisco.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I hear what you are saying but I think we just need the win. We don’t need to gauge our team strength: the season is over. With all the coaching changes and the transfer portal, this team and its opponents likely will be quite different next season. Wouldn’t it be better to go out with six wins in a row and let that be the story? No one outside of this board cares about the strength of schedule. Let’s let the casual alumni hear about a big bowl win. Might generate a little enthusiasm for next season. 
Plus these players battled to save the season and get there. I want them to celebrate a W.

Well said. Excellent post.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone remember how good or bad Cincinnati was when we beat them? They were CUSA champions, but what was their record?

How about when we beat UNLV? 

The Longhorns won like 5 straight bowls prior to this year? Anyone know any of their opponents or their records?

I want a match up we can win. Celina High school or their college equivalent is fine with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It is going to be hilariously unstable when us and Miami Ohio get announced as the matchup tomorrow and the bowl still doesn’t have a name, date, time, or location. 

(Honestly, Matt, I didn’t read your post in the other thread 2 minutes earlier than this one saying a similar thing). 

Go the way of the Washington Football Team & go generic.  
That bowl game would not be obscure & who knows, pick up a few more viewers?   
Seinfeld should have changed the name of his show to “the Show About Nothing” or..........🙄

▶️ Just give this team a time & place—they won’t care what they call the damn bowl if we happen to be that bowl matchup.   
Whatta’ you think, college football experts?

GMG!2BA2B3AD-BC7C-4FE4-9AD0-6E536FEBE2D7.jpeg.96f0dec209c8968362836c0e7f6d23b6.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Does anyone remember how good or bad Cincinnati was when we beat them? They were CUSA champions, but what was their record?

How about when we beat UNLV? 

The Longhorns won like 5 straight bowls prior to this year? Anyone know any of their opponents or their records?

I want a match up we can win. Celina High school or their college equivalent is fine with me.

All I remember is that Cincinnati did not want to play  in The New Orleans Bowl and their coach was upset when it was announced. I also think it was a last minute designation by CUSA, like about a week before the game. However I have slept since then and am sure someone with a better memory can comment.