NCAA adds new Texas Bowl Game

Tom McKrackin

"Man, I thought we'd be going to the Perfect Bowl, playing a legendary team in front of a hundred thousand fans at one of the world's most famous stadiums."

OK you whiners, buck up. We barely earned a bowl bid and this is what we get, and it's still pretty damn good. We can bitch, whine, and mope, or we can make the most of it and have a great time.

I personally, will be there to celebrate with my friends and cheer like hell for the school I love.

North Texas fans show up in force for bowl games, especially local ones. I will not be alone.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I personally, will be there to celebrate with my friends and cheer like hell for the school I love.

North Texas fans show up in force for bowl games, especially local ones. I will not be alone.

Which is why "The Star" should never be considered.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

No, we are one of the only schools that could make this successful because of our location and our resources.

We were on the cusp of receiving the UTSA treatment and being told NO BOWL FOR YOU!

Were you really anxious to attend the Frisco Bowl because of it's prestigious name? Would it matter if we went to the same venue and it was called the Lone Star Bowl or something similar?

This is all good, and it will probably put Wren in charge of a great bit of it's organization. We can make his a fandango customized to our wants.

I honestly don't think we deserve a bowl 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 13
  • Puking Eagle 6

If the NCAA decided that eligible teams at .500 or better can go to a bowl game, then let’s go with it. Bonuses for the team include extra practice, exposure, matchup with a team they don’t normally face, and (sometimes) travel to a different venue. Regarding the new bowl, ESPN Events has already said DFW area. Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin Counties already have bowl games; so Denton County would seem to provide the fairest balance. Apogee is a fantastic venue for football, and probably better than many stadiums that are hosting games.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just have to wonder if Judy, using our proximity, "volunteered" us for the Bowl?

The thing I keep coming back to is that we are playing Tulsa in basketball in OKC on December 21st, which is the same day the Frisco Bowl is scheduled for.

I wonder if Wren is trying to get us in the extra bowl game so that we can play locally but on a different day than the basketball game in OKC.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Man, I thought we'd be going to the Perfect Bowl, playing a legendary team in front of a hundred thousand fans at one of the world's most famous stadiums.

OK you whiners, buck up. We barely earned a bowl bid and this is what we get, and it's still pretty damn good. We can bitch, whine, and mope, or we can make the most of it and have a great time.

Oh, I agree with all of this.  

I just disagree with the thought that we should hope for a weak opponent just for the sake of getting a cheap win, then parlaying the false hope that comes with it into thinking there’s nothing but sunny days ahead for the football team.   I’d still have serious doubts.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rws69 said:

If the NCAA decided that eligible teams at .500 or better can go to a bowl game, then let’s go with it. Bonuses for the team include extra practice, exposure, matchup with a team they don’t normally face, and (sometimes) travel to a different venue. Regarding the new bowl, ESPN Events has already said DFW area. Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin Counties already have bowl games; so Denton County would seem to provide the fairest balance. Apogee is a fantastic venue for football, and probably better than many stadiums that are hosting games.

The game is in frisco. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How can you say that after watching this team scratch & claw their way out of what most considered an insurmountable hole over the past 5 weeks?  Were you watching?

Of course they deserve a bowl!

We played and barely beat some the worst teams in D1a FBS, how bad would our record have been if we had to play in a better conference and division. We are at 6-6 because our schedule might have been the weakest in the league. What about the teams that are better and could easily beat us that won't go. I am expected more from the top paid coach in our conference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 1

24 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

We played and barely beat some the worst teams in D1a FBS, how bad would our record have been if we had to play in a better conference and division. We are at 6-6 because our schedule might have been the weakest in the league. What about the teams that are better and could easily beat us that won't go. I am expected more from the top paid coach in our conference. 

Ok, so you weren’t watching.  That’s important to clarify to go with your very unpopular hso.

The two “worst teams in FBS” we beat during this run were by 24 & 42pts, respectively.

Rice was a tough game, but that was the one where the guys clicked & believed.

UTEP is a 7-win bowl-bound team!

And we trounced #15 UTSA by 22pts (excuses be damned)!

Although I totally agree with your last sentence, that doesn’t take away from the players’ efforts over the past month-and-a-half!   They deserve to go bowling!

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The game is in frisco. 

Ugh - I mean, I'm thankful for a bowl in the area, but if you've ever been to a football game at The Star/Ford Center (some high school teams get to play there in-season), it always feels a lot smaller than it is. I don't mind that venue for basketball games like the conference tournament, but it's not my favorite for football games. Tickets will probably go quick for that one if NT ends up playing there - and should be a sold out game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hall Eagle 2011 said:

Ugh - I mean, I'm thankful for a bowl in the area, but if you've ever been to a football game at The Star/Ford Center (some high school teams get to play there in-season), it always feels a lot smaller than it is. I don't mind that venue for basketball games like the conference tournament, but it's not my favorite for football games. Tickets will probably go quick for that one if NT ends up playing there - and should be a sold out game. 

I think we have to assume it will be another game at Toyota Stadium.  Since it hosts the FCS Championship game in early January it will already be set up as a football venue for the immediate future (and of course our soccer team won't be needing it anytime soon).  I just can't imagine they'd pull a bowl game out of thin air knowing North Texas was going to be in it and need 20,000+ seats and then put it at the Ford Center. Would be a heck of an atmosphere in there though.  So long as the time/date is not unreasonable even Toyota Stadium will likely be too small.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

You sound disappointed that NT gets a bowl.  Didn't UTSA just win the conference championship?

Personally, I am not worried about those teams that could easily beat NT. because there are very few that are G5.  Over half the teams get bowl games and NT definitely deserves to be one.

Again, I fail to see what a coach's salary has to do with his performance.   I guess he would be a much better coach if he was the lowest paid in the league.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think we have to assume it will be another game at Toyota Stadium.  Since it hosts the FCS Championship game in early January it will already be set up as a football venue for the immediate future (and of course our soccer team won't be needing it anytime soon).  I just can't imagine they'd pull a bowl game out of thin air knowing North Texas was going to be in it and need 20,000+ seats and then put it at the Ford Center. Would be a heck of an atmosphere in there though.  So long as the time/date is not unreasonable even Toyota Stadium will likely be too small.

Is this Judy’s parting shot at UNT? UNT ought to tell her “not big enough, do better.“ 

Did anyone notice tonight at the Alamodome Judy’s body language & how cold she was to UTSA Coach Traylor at the awards ceremony?  

••• This was only part of the UNT crowd at the Cotton Bowl Stadium in January of 2014.
74C222E3-0E80-48EE-AF32-77E5DA1C2958.jpeg.ad64e7d2b94945bb0ef4850cc9e9f14a.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

Is this Judy’s parting shot at UNT? UNT ought to tell her “not big enough, do better.“ 

Did anyone notice tonight at the Alamodome her body language & how cold she was to UTSA Coach Traylor at the awards ceremony?  

I highly doubt she’s in any way involved in the venue selection. Depending on their schedule, ESPN may put the games back to back days so they don’t even have to move equipment. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Hall Eagle 2011 said:

Agreed.  I worry that some fans won't get to experience the bowl game because it will sell out so quickly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I highly doubt she’s in any way involved in the venue selection. Depending on their schedule, ESPN may put the games back to back days so they don’t even have to move equipment. 

Was mostly being facetious? I’m sure I know she is not picking our bowl.  I do guess this is our reward for coming in through the back bathroom window this season, though.
I would have hoped beating a 15’th ranked team (which SMU hasn’t done this or last season best I recall) would have given us a better bowl selection position?  No other “6 win” school beat a Top 25 school best I know. 

Oh well.  Go with what ya’ got I guess, but if we’re given Slippery Rock U from somewhere near the Catskill Mountains of New York as an opponent that would lift a few eyes.👀
  Late DKR Memorial stadium announcer Cactus Pryor used to announce SRU’s scores to the delight &  laughter of Longhorn fans years ago.

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

@MeanGreenTexanthrowing off some serious wrinkled $100 bill vibes 🧐

Sorry.  I’m not trying to complain about the bowl game.  I’m more looking towards the future.  

Whatever bowl we get & whoever we play will be so much better than what I thought would happen 6 weeks ago!

It just seems that some here are hoping for the easiest possible opponent just to secure a bowl game W.  I don’t think that helps our program as much though.

Besides, why would it be assumed that this bowl will have NT instead of Armed Forces or Frisco?

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1