NCAA adds new Texas Bowl Game

Tom McKrackin

5 minutes ago, ADLER said:

EMU might bring 1k people - Good, and they'll be wearing green

They'd get completely annihilated by us - Good (if ECU cooperates), we could use a bowl victory

This bowl is not some reward for an outstanding season, it's an opportunity to finish righting the ship, improving perceptions, and building momentum for future seasons. We'll need to make it a celebration.

There are few aspects of this bowl season that we are truly in charge of. We need to make the most of every opportunity.

I would also add it is absolutely imperative that they get an opponent they can beat.  Seth and our program just can't have another drubbing.  Seth is also winless in bowl games which is a problem heading into the AAC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, ADLER said:

EMU might bring 1k people - Good, and they'll be wearing green

They'd get completely annihilated by us - Good (if ECU cooperates), we could use a bowl victory

This bowl is not some reward for an outstanding season, it's an opportunity to finish righting the ship, improving perceptions, and building momentum for future seasons. We'll need to make it a celebration.

There are few aspects of this bowl season that we are truly in charge of. We need to make the most of every opportunity.

9 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I would also add it is absolutely imperative that they get an opponent they can beat.  Seth and our program just can't have another drubbing.  Seth is also winless in bowl games which is a problem heading into the AAC.

cleaning-lazy.gif

EDIT:
No, we need to play an opponent we should be evenly matched with so we can get a good idea of what kind of team we truly are.   I don't think we're the same team that lost to UAB 43-6, but I also don't believe we're a team that would beat UTSA the way we did if the elements were removed.
If it's gonna be a home game, which any game in the DFW area would be, then we need a good opponent that provides a test.   Now, if we want to go up to play EMU at the Quick Lane Bowl, that's a different story.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Looks like we are getting the Charity Bowl.

Did the first half of our season earn something better? What is our entitlement?

Seriously, let's make the most out of the hand we're dealt.

It's only two days before bowl invitations go out and a new bowl is in the creation phase? That's Crazy.

We CAN make this happen, and we CAN make it a success.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I would also add it is absolutely imperative that they get an opponent they can beat.

So true. We have limped into our last three bowl games only to play three historically lesser known schools that were fielding their best teams ever. 

This game may be exactly what our program needs.

• Downvote 1

UNT is a magnet for weirdness at bowl time. In 2001 we were the first team to go to a bowl with a losing record in 31 years. In 2016 we became the only team to go to a bowl twice with a losing record (pandemic year excluded).

Now we're on the cusp of going to a bowl game that didn't exist until bowl invitation week.

But hell I'll take it. If we get this invite I'm doing my best Brian Kelly Southern accent -- Southern Massachusetts, that is -- and yelling WE GOIN BOWLING PARDNER.

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Looks like we are getting the Charity Bowl.

No, we are one of the only schools that could make this successful because of our location and our resources.

We were on the cusp of receiving the UTSA treatment and being told NO BOWL FOR YOU!

Were you really anxious to attend the Frisco Bowl because of it's prestigious name? Would it matter if we went to the same venue and it was called the Lone Star Bowl or something similar?

This is all good, and it will probably put Wren in charge of a great bit of it's organization. We can make his a fandango customized to our wants.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

I'm surprised that some of the hypocrisy here. Some folk list "getting blown out in bowls" as a reason for firing Seth. But if Seth has the chance to blow out another team, that's somehow "wrong." 

Outside of the CFP, bowl games aren't about evaluating a team. Years ago the University Presidents in the NCAA decided most bowls were a reward for teams, students and fans. They specifically said that back when they passed the .500 winning percentage to get into a bowl. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I'm surprised that some of the hypocrisy here. Some folk list "getting blown out in bowls" as a reason for firing Seth. But if Seth has the chance to blow out another team, that's somehow "wrong." 

Outside of the CFP, bowl games aren't about evaluating a team. Years ago the University Presidents in the NCAA decided most bowls were a reward for teams, students and fans. They specifically said that back when they passed the .500 winning percentage to get into a bowl. 

I actually hope we get a tough opponent. Not interested in a cupcake. I want to see SL get his team ready to go in a bowl game against a competent opponent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I'll give a pass on the NM Bowl against UTSt, because I really thought we could hang with them, and we were until Fine went down in the 1st quarter (we were also surprisingly without Bussey that day)... and obviously, that kinda deflated the whole thing.   
We didn't get "blown out" of the Army game, but we had already beaten them earlier in the year.  We should have won that game, but we were in Littrell's first year, and only had 5 wins.  We were clearly trending upward!  
We didn't earn a bowl game in 2019, and last year's bowl game should not have even happened.
The Troy game was an embarrassment though, because it was supposed to be an evenly-matched game.  That's really the only bowl game I hold against Littrell.  Others may disagree.

Again, it's not just about the bowl games with him.  It's the entire picture.

And I don't see how hoping for the easiest possible opponent just so we can curb stomp someone in a bowl game to make us feel good helps anything.  We need to try and find the best matchup (like the 2017 Troy game) to truly see how far we've come these past 6 weeks.   For me, EMU in Frisco is not a good matchup.  It's lopsided in our favor.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I actually hope we get a tough opponent. Not interested in a cupcake. I want to see SL get his team ready to go in a bowl game against a competent opponent. 

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll give a pass on the NM Bowl against UTSt, because I really thought we could hang with them, and we were until Fine went down in the 1st quarter (we were also surprisingly without Bussey that day)... and obviously, that kinda deflated the whole thing.   
We didn't get "blown out" of the Army game, but we had already beaten them earlier in the year.  We should have won that game, but we were in Littrell's first year, and only had 5 wins.  We were clearly trending upward!  
We didn't earn a bowl game in 2019, and last year's bowl game should not have even happened.
The Troy game was an embarrassment though, because it was supposed to be an evenly-matched game.  That's really the only bowl game I hold against Littrell.  Others may disagree.

Again, it's not just about the bowl games with him.  It's the entire picture.

And I don't see how hoping for the easiest possible opponent just so we can curb stomp someone in a bowl game to make us feel good helps anything.  We need to try and find the best matchup (like the 2017 Troy game) to truly see how far we've come these past 6 weeks.   For me, EMU in Frisco is not a good matchup.  It's lopsided in our favor.

Beggars can’t be choosers….

Let’s not act all high and mighty to think we are better than EMU. They still have a better record than us. Last time I check we lost  a couple of times to a Mac team….cough Ohio. 

Let’s just be glad that we get another game….but let’s not sit here and say the game would be lopsided in our favor. Our bowl record losses have mostly been lopsided. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Beggars can’t be choosers….

Let’s not act all high and mighty to think we are better than EMU. They still have a better record than us. Last time I check we lost  a couple of times to a Mac team….cough Ohio. 

Let’s just be glad that we get another game….but let’s not sit here and say the game would be lopsided in our favor. Our bowl record losses have mostly been lopsided. 

Oh, I'm glad we get to play in a bowl game, for sure!   It just seems like more people would rather hope for a matchup against a team NT would be favored to beat just so we can win the bowl game.   The team EARNED the opportunity to play in a bowl game by winning 5 straight to finish the season with their backs all the way up against the wall.   Why stop now?   

I bet you the line would be NT+7 (or more) if it's EMU & us in Frisco, TX.  Bring a better/closer opponent in, or go play this game in a neutral site or closer to EMU, so we can see what NT is made of.

Let's not pretend that a .500 team in the MAC would come into our backyard and beat us.    And if they did, that should be all we would need to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I'm glad we get to play in a bowl game, for sure!   It just seems like more people would rather hope for a matchup against a team NT would be favored to beat just so we can win the bowl game.   The team EARNED the opportunity to play in a bowl game by winning 5 straight to finish the season with their backs all the way up against the wall.   Why stop now?   

I bet you the line would be NT+7 (or more) if it's EMU & us in Frisco, TX.  Bring a better/closer opponent in, or go play this game in a neutral site or closer to EMU, so we can see what NT is made of.

Let's not pretend that a .500 team in the MAC would come into our backyard and beat us.    And if they did, that should be all we would need to see.

And Conference USA is so much better? 

2013 - Ohio - MAC - Lost by 6

2013 - Ball State - MAC - Had to come back from far behind to win

Bowl Games 

Troy - Sunbelt - Lost by 20

App State - Sun Belt - Lost by 28

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

And Conference USA is so much better? 

2013 - Ohio - MAC - Lost by 6

2013 - Ball State - MAC - Had to come back from far behind to win

Bowl Games 

Troy - Sunbelt - Lost by 20

App State - Sun Belt - Lost by 28

2013 has nothing to do with now.

The Troy game is bitter.  That beatdown shouldn't have happened like that, and was definitely an early warning sign.
The App St game shouldn't have happened in the first place.   A 4-win NT team had no business even being there against a 9-win AppSt who spent a week in the top 25 earlier in the year.

I would assume Tulsa would bring 8-10k to Frisco.   They're a .500 team in the AAC... the conference we're moving up to.   The game would be a much stiffer test.   A game I would still think NT could win, and would go a long way in changing my tune on Littrell and the future of NT football in his hands.

EMU would maybe bring 1k to Frisco.   They're a .500 team in the MAC (the conference universally-recognized as the worst in FBS).   This would not be nearly the same test.   This is a game I would EXPECT NT to win, handily.  Heck, we've even seen predictions of us VS Kent St in the Frisco Bowl.   Kent State is playing for the MAC Championship this weekend.   That would be a better test.

• Puking Eagle 2

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Depending on who NT plays, that should be plenty.  Sadly.

At 12,000, that should never be considered.  Besides, our fans that can't find Apogee will show up out of the woodwork.  It's the DFW way, so you can tell people in the future that "you were there".

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1