NCAA adds new Texas Bowl Game

Tom McKrackin

Wasn't there a proposal for an Austin bowl a couple years ago that failed to be certified?  If I'm remembering correctly, then it would make sense to try it out this year.  There are already bowls in pretty much every large city in Texas, including 4 in the DFW area, so Austin would make sense.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

No one pretends the vast majority of these bowls mean anything important. But it’s fun for fans and fun for the players. Who cares. 

Total kneejerk, I-haven't-read-into-this reaction:

This is about making sure everyone who is eligible gets a bowl.  So yes, this is about participation rewards.  We've somehow conditioned football programs to think if you're eligible, then you're entitled.

And, yes, it is still fun for us fans.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Total kneejerk, I-haven't-read-into-this reaction:

This is about making sure everyone who is eligible gets a bowl.  So yes, this is about participation rewards.  We've somehow conditioned football programs to think if you're eligible, then you're entitled.

And, yes, it is still fun for us fans.

I guess my point is this new bowl will be no less relevant than the already completely irrelevant bowls we have spent our entire history playing in. This allows the NCAA to get Hawaii into that bowl, which is their preference. My position has always been that 6-6 teams should get the 13th game to end the year a relative  winner or loser. Sometimes people act like the proliferation of bowls devalues the bowls. That’s incorrect. There are a few bowls that have value. And the rest largely don’t. How many get added to the second category doesn’t matter. 

• Upvote 5

No stadium mentioned, but the new bowl will be in the DFW metroplex. The Athletic (click here for link)

I can't see the game being played at any stadium other than SMU's Ford or at Apogee.

SMU has previously hosted the Armed Forces Bowl during construction at Amon G Carter but their community may also be more disturbed by a sudden bowl addition.

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee on Thursday approved a waiver that will allow for a hastily arranged 42nd FBS bowl game this season, ensuring no bowl-eligible team is left out, sources confirmed to The Athletic.

With 83 teams having finished the regular season with at least a 6-6 record, one eligible team from the MAC, Conference USA or Mountain West would have been left without a berth. The three conferences approached ESPN Events, which operates the majority of the Group of 5 conferences’ bowl games, about the possibility of staging and airing an extra game this season in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, according to sources familiar with the discussions. The company already hosts bowl games at the Cotton Bowl (First Responders Bowl) and in Fort Worth (Armed Forces Bowl) and Frisco, Texas (Frisco Bowl).

The newly created 84th spot in the expanded lineup will go to 6-7 Hawaii, which will stay home and play in the ESPN-owned Hawaii Bowl. Memphis previously accepted an invite to that game.

The new bowl technically replaces the Redbox Bowl in San Francisco, which had been approved for this season but organizers called off in September. A date for the new game has not yet been announced.

Edited by ADLER

22 minutes ago, ADLER said:

No stadium mentioned, but the new bowl will be in the DFW metroplex. The Athletic (click here for link)

I can't see the game being played at any stadium other than SMU's Ford or at Apogee.

SMU has previously hosted the Armed Forces Bowl during construction at Amon G Carter but their community may also be more disturbed by a sudden bowl addition.

What about The Star in Frisco?

edit:  Ha!  Nevermind.  It only seats 12K

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1