Are short term coach's contracts really a thing ?

greenjoe

In the modern era, I've heard for some time that a coach with little time left on his contract is used against him by other coaches recruiting the same player.  "You better think again about going to XYZ University.  Coach X may not be there long."  

Does that really happen ?  Does one school exploit an opposing school's coach that might be ready to retire, have had a poor season, or some other situation that might prevent him from having a long time left on his contract ?

OR,

Is the threat of a nearly expired contract a myth created by coaches to keep as many years as possible on their ( and each other's ) contract as possible.  

I've never been recruited by a coach nor had any of my kids recruited.  It just seems like an unprofessional way to conduct business.  Perhaps it's the norm.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Small contracts seem to be out the window at the P5 level. The G5 still has small contracts in terms of money but length i think will remain as long as it has become. Everyone wants a guarantee that the coach wont leave, that the coach will get a good amount if hes fired and so and so forth. I played 6A HS football here in Texas and I was recruited by UNT, Texas Tech, Texas St, A&M Commerce and a few other smaller schools. There hasn’t been loyalty by coaches, outside of a few, ever in this sport. Coaches will use everything in the book to recruit you to a school. When I came to UNT on a visit they walked us through the tailgating area and sorority girls would come talk to us and try to get to know us. When I went to Tech they did something similar. I had a coach promise to get me through with a degree if i just had good attendance and took my test and everything else would be taken care of. So I guarantee the short term contract thing was or if used nowadays against some coaches.

32 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, it is used against these coaches a lot. It'll get used against SL this recruiting period and into 2022, as we won't know until then if he will get extended or fired.

Anytime some competing coach uses that crap against us, I would point them directly to Skip Holtz’ situation. Signs a 5 year extension, gets canned the following season.

https://amp.thenewsstar.com/amp/5679374002

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, it is used against these coaches a lot. It'll get used against SL this recruiting period and into 2022, as we won't know until then if he will get extended or fired.

Hell, that's easy to counteract.  

Recruit: "Hey Coach, So-in-so from State U said you only have a year left on your contract and that I shouldn't sign here.  Is that true?"

Coach: "Son, you ever heard of Lincoln Riley or Brian Kelly?  They had years left on their contracts at OU and ND, and where are they now?"

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Look, there’s a reason you don’t let a coach actually coach in the last year of a contract. It kills recruiting. Well, having two years left on a contract makes the recruiting for other teams against us that much easier because they know kids and parents are always worried about who will be coaching their sons during their college career. It matters…a lot 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, there’s a reason you don’t let a coach actually coach in the last year of a contract. It kills recruiting. Well, having two years left on a contract makes the recruiting for other teams against us that much easier because they know kids and parents are always worried about who will be coaching their sons during their college career. It matters…a lot 

🏈THIS?      

Kids can now leave a school at the drop of a hat thru the portal so if they sign with UNT & SL they still do have that option if he left what would be prematurely (in their eyes) & if they think they’d  been deceived in the recruiting process.  

Long term contracts with NCAA FBS HFC’s are not worth the paper they’re written on anymore.  Who thinks Traylor will stay at UTSA for the duration of his 10 year contract?   I don’t.  

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🏈THIS?      

Kids can now leave a school at the drop of a hat thru the portal so if they sign with UNT & SL they still do have that option if he left what would be prematurely (in their eyes) & if they think they’d  been deceived in the recruiting process.  

Long term contracts with NCAA FBS HFC’s are not worth the paper they’re written on anymore.  Who thinks Traylor will stay at UTSA for the duration of his 10 year contract?   I don’t.  

All of this is true…but the question is will this be used against us in recruiting and the answer is an overwhelming yes. Any sliver of doubt a coach can use in a recruiting battle will be used. And common sense isn’t always the way that recruiting works in normal situations, much less like it will be here over the next 9-12 months. 

I think that SL will end up getting that extension, probably one for another 2-3 years. It might happen as early as after a bowl win, too. As I mentioned at the beginning of this season, this year for SL was going to be the most interesting season a coach could have. He could get fired by losing 9 or more games, he could get an extension by winning enough games and something of magnitude, he could win 4-6 games and just keep the job for another year, or if things went really well, he could have gotten offers elsewhere. If I had to guess, a bowl win would probably get him another 2 years added to his contract. A complete guess, but I bet that WB and NS would prefer this…

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

All of this is true…but the question is will this be used against us in recruiting and the answer is an overwhelming yes. Any sliver of doubt a coach can use in a recruiting battle will be used. And common sense isn’t always the way that recruiting works in normal situations, much less like it will be here over the next 9-12 months. 

I think that SL will end up getting that extension, probably one for another 2-3 years. It might happen as early as after a bowl win, too. As I mentioned at the beginning of this season, this year for SL was going to be the most interesting season a coach could have. He could get fired by losing 9 or more games, he could get an extension by winning enough games and something of magnitude, he could win 4-6 games and just keep the job for another year, or if things went really well, he could have gotten offers elsewhere. If I had to guess, a bowl win would probably get him another 2 years added to his contract. A complete guess, but I bet that WB and NS would prefer this…

As many of you would know, In the world of sales any semblance of negativity aimed at a competitor can just as easily work against the one spreading the negativity.  

I think good sales people can warn who they are selling to that that might happen with the next one they talk to?  

IF UTSA DOES ALL THIS NEGATIVE RECRUITING (& we’ve already heard Traylor is a snake oil salesman) WILL HIS GANG TRY TO TELL RECRUITS CHECKING US OUT THAT THOSE WORLD CLASS ATHLETIC VENUES OUT AT UNT’s MEAN❇️GREEN VILLAGE ARE REALLY ALL FACADE STORE-LIKE FRONTS AS FOUND AT A WESTERN MOVIE SET? 😳 (That is my 1 allowed  Corny dad joke” for today). 

❇️🦅❇️GOMEANGREEN! 

Honestly, if a coach is trying to use this to recruit against us, they don't have much going for themselves.

It would be in one ear and out the other if a coach walked in to recruit my son and he tried to use that line on me. I care more about what you can do for my son vs. what you are speculating might happen if my kid picked this other school. Sell me on your program... or... there's the door.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Honestly, if a coach is trying to use this to recruit against us, they don't have much going for themselves.

It would be in one ear and out the other if a coach walked in to recruit my son and he tried to use that line on me. I care more about what you can do for my son vs. what you are speculating might happen if my kid picked this other school. Sell me on your program... or... there's the door.

These kids really really want to know about playing time and what the program is going to do for them (stats, championships, pro ambitions), and if @UNT86 told me this is strongly associated with who the head coach is, I'd believe him.