Has NT ever had a better sports week

GrandGreen

43 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I could be underselling it but I didn’t consider the basketball win over drake to be that significant. 

I think it lacks the Purdue shine because it wasn't a major/postseason tournament.  I would take a look at our OOC wins the last 20 years and see how it stacks up.  It has to be up there near the top.

• Upvote 3

In 2017 I watched the Astros walk off the Yankees in Minute Maid on a Carlos Correa double (ALCS), then was able to get back to the hotel in time to see Mason Fine engineer the Drive... 

I know it's not all Mean Green, but that's one of my best sports days of all time.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think it lacks the Purdue shine because it wasn't a major/postseason tournament.  I would take a look at our OOC wins the last 20 years and see how it stacks up.  It has to be up there near the top.

Yes but I think the expectations have shifted quite a bit. Quite frankly we shouldn’t have even been playing Drake, we should have been playing Alabama. Expectations dictate experience. So maybe I am underselling it. But despite their history and recent success I consider Drake a team we should be beating in basketball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Yes but I think the expectations have shifted quite a bit. Quite frankly we shouldn’t have even been playing Drake, we should have been playing Alabama. Expectations dictate experience. So maybe I am underselling it. But despite their history and recent success I consider Drake a team we should be beating in basketball. 

In the last ten seasons, CUSA has only been ranked above the MVC once at season's end in the Conference Power rankings.

52 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

According to KenPom, Drake was the second highest rated team we have beaten in the last 20 years. The other being Purdue.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Doesn't alter my opinion on whether I view Drake as a team we should be competitive with.

You said we should be beating them...not competitive.

The MVC is year in and year out better than CUSA.  That doesn't mean we should lose to a MVC squad, but in the mean it's a better league, so to expect a win over a school from that conference, that also had a tournament run like us last season, is probably unfair.  Going in, I thought it was a coin flip.  And given that it came down to the end, I wasn't wrong.

• Upvote 4

Winning the CUSA basketball title last March was a fantastic week. Unbelievable feeling to do it against Western after the times they’ve knocked us out. Felt SO good beating Bassey.

But the Purdue win was just unreal!!! Especially being at the tournament in Indy made it so much better. 

• Upvote 2

It will always be beating Tennessee in Knoxville. Drilling Houston 28-0 at Texas Stadium.  Beating West Texas State in front of 8k in the Pit to claim the #1 basketball team in Texas. The 2 victories at Tech in Football. The Conference Championship against Northeast Louisiana to advance to the first NCAA tournament. Beating the ranked Arizona St basketball team. Beating an Ira Terrell lead SMU basketball team in a sold out/standing room only Super Pit. 

• Thanks 1