Lovelace Tweet Under Fire

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He needs to come out an publicly apologize.  This is his one strike.  I am not  fan of the new "cancel culture", but behavior like this must stop, he must own up to his actions, apologize to UTSA and the San Antonio community and understand that anything further of this nature will cause North Texas to disassociate with him.

Agreed. Own up to it, and apologize like a man. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Look at that Lifer, you and I can agree. I've always tried to teach my kids the aspects of a real apology - Admit the wrong, Apologize, ask how to make it better. Without those three things, it isn't an apology. 

The "this is not who I am" apologies are tiring, but I know that sometimes that is a real answer. It is hard to admit that you made a mistake when it is embarassing, but it is also hollow to admit that you are wrong when you don't actually feel you did anything wrong... and sometimes people use the "this is not who I am" apology to cover that base too. 

But it should be easy enough. "My dudes. I let my passion cloud my judgement. I do not believe Mexicans are immigrants. I value Mexican culture and people. I recognize that benefits that Latinos and immigrants bring to this colorful nation. I am making a $50k donation to the RAICES fund in UTSA's name. God Bless." 

I think we probably agree on much more than we disagree.  That is the case most of the time when people really listen to others.  Look forward to meeting you in person some day.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Look at that Lifer, you and I can agree. I've always tried to teach my kids the aspects of a real apology - Admit the wrong, Apologize, ask how to make it better. Without those three things, it isn't an apology. 

The "this is not who I am" apologies are tiring, but I know that sometimes that is a real answer. It is hard to admit that you made a mistake when it is embarassing, but it is also hollow to admit that you are wrong when you don't actually feel you did anything wrong... and sometimes people use the "this is not who I am" apology to cover that base too. 

But it should be easy enough. "My dudes. I let my passion cloud my judgement. I do not believe Mexicans are immigrants. I value Mexican culture and people. I recognize that benefits that Latinos and immigrants bring to this colorful nation. I am making a $50k donation to the RAICES fund in UTSA's name. God Bless." 

Nicely done. He should pay you to do his PR for him. It doesn’t get much better than what you wrote.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

The only tweets I saw in the article was:

"Yall are so soft," Lovelace tweeted, tagging UTSA football's Twitter account and Coach Jeff Traylor. "Triangle of what? More immigrants?"

"Your team is weak and extremely overrated even with Frank's players,"

I assume it must be the first one that is causing all the angst.  If so, what's the issue?  You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that SA has a long history of immigrants.

With that said, it's still stupid to post anything on twitter (or even to read it).

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Twitter as a way to communicate at a corporate level is great.  On an individual level I will never get it.  

This tweet didn’t even make sense.  Was he responding to someone else?  Without context it reads like a stupid, racist tweet.  Maybe still does with context added.  I have no clue, other than to tell this guy to stop tweeting.  Especially stop tweeting at 2am.

• Upvote 1

If you can read through lines - it is implying that UTSA is not strong/good/tough, in fact it is filled with immigrants - which is implying the opposite of strong/good/tough.

https://www.ksat.com/sports/2020/09/03/repping-210-breaking-down-utsas-triangle-of-toughness/

Not hard to figure out why it would rub people wrong. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I read him regularly on Twitter & it didn’t look like a Dillon post so I thought: Did his IPhone or computer get compromised?

Not sure if UTSA’ers knew it was Dillon’s dad who was the Big Donor?  Guess they been looking at pictures of the IPF with the Lovelace name on its exterior? 
If Dillon actually said those things a simple apology would suffice.  

Obviously, these are sensitive times that only Blacks or Latinos who have to deal with racism could know about firsthand.  Should be stressed that Whites still don’t have a corner of the market with being racists, though. A light female black friend of mine told me years ago that racism even exists among Blacks—Dark blacks vs light blacks.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

If you can read through lines - it is implying that UTSA is not strong/good/tough, in fact it is filled with immigrants - which is implying the opposite of strong/good/tough.

https://www.ksat.com/sports/2020/09/03/repping-210-breaking-down-utsas-triangle-of-toughness/

Not hard to figure out why it would rub people wrong. 

Sure. It's condescending. It's self fulfilling. It's borderline insulting. But it's not straight up racist or demeaning. People are just softies. Facts. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Insinuating a school/city is weak because they have a lot of immigrants (Hispanics) is pretty damn racist. 

I wouldn’t say racist but definitely ignorant. It is extremely ignorant to brand immigrants as only hispanic or hispanics as only immigrants.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Insinuating a school/city is weak because they have a lot of immigrants (Hispanics) is pretty damn racist. 

That's an implication. No one knows if that was his intent in his wording. And that's sort of the problem. People are constantly looking for reasons to be offended instead of just living their life. People are sitting there implying what someone may or may have not meant in what they said so they can angry tweet and be SJW. It wasn't bluntly anything except for stupid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Whether Mr. Lovelace meant this or not, this is the gist of his tweet to everyone who read it.   He would absolutely be wise to cut this thing off before it grows legs.

It's funny how far people go with mental gymnastics to avoid any hint that something might be racist. Okay, if that's not what he meant by that tweet then what exactly was he implying? *crickets*

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Did he state that San Antonio has a lot of immigrants or did he beat a baby? Sheesh. 

He said some racist shit that you're spending way too much energy and time trying to defend, all because you share the same favorite football team. Sheesh. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1