College football gone mad

Coach Andy Mac

In the span of two days, the head coaches of two of the biggest college football programs in America have jumped ship, wooed by even greater challenges — and the almighty dollar.

Driving the news: Lincoln Riley is ditching Oklahoma for USC in a deal reportedly worth $110 million. LSU poached Brian Kelly from Notre Dame with a reported 10-year, $100 million contract.

• USC is reportedly buying Riley a $6 million home in Los Angeles and giving him 24/7 access to a private jet.
  • Kelly broke up with Notre Dame via text Monday night — a week after saying he'd never leave South Bend.

Why it matters: The college football coaching carousel has always been a theater of the absurd, from flight trackers to mysterious boosters. But there has never been a 24 hours like this one.

Read more:  https://www.axios.com/college-football-coaches-ncaa-leaving-c386993a-d4e3-49a2-be0b-3405cc6ac6d3.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

A man's word is his bond.  If you don't mean it, don't say it.   Otherwise, your just a liar.

Good grief, what do you guys expect coaches to say? They're disloyal if they don't say they're staying forever. They're disloyal if they leave for a better gig. Coaches need to say and do what they think is best for them. They can't win either way.

Edited by DentonLurker

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Except he didn't say that.  Listen again.  He basically said, "If they offer me enough money, I'm gone."

For BK I do not think it was the salary alone (I am sure NB could/would match). Seems he has been pushing them for a while to improve facilities and resources for the players.

As crazy as salaries are (and hopefully some of this money will be seen by the assistants) I think we are about to see a wave of "improvements" to facilities and resources devoted to players with the big boys spending multi-millions to keep up with each other. Personally, I will be happy when the "Super League" breaks off and pulls away for football.

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wonder how this make the ND players feel when they hear this... does it give them "bulletin board material" and make them better players for the next game... or do they keep it in the back of their minds and let is fester.

Edited by jperg2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jperg2 said:

Wonder how this make the ND players feel when they hear this... does it give them "bulletin board material" and make them better players for the next game... or do they keep it in the back of their minds and let is fester.

I think the players know he has been fighting with the AD and President to invest in their infrastructure and recourses for the players. I think they will look at their AD and think he failed them