Gosh Almighty! This Mean Green Team Is: M-A-G-I-C (Nothing Can Stand In Our Way)!🤕

PlummMeanGreen

A little Olivia for all you Old Timers! 🧔🏼 😲 🙄

•I heard this Aussie’ sing this one at Reunion Arena in 1980 when y’all were, uh, so much younger. 👶🏼

TO THE 2021 MEAN GREEN: YOU ARE MAGIC (& hard working, goat ropin’ son of a guns). The Mean Green Nation (of all decades) could not be prouder! 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

A little Olivia for all you Old Timers! 🧔🏼 😲 🙄

•I heard this Aussie’ sing this one at Reunion Arena in 1980 when y’all were, uh, so much younger. 👶🏼

TO THE 2021 MEAN GREEN: YOU ARE MAGIC (& hard working, goat ropin’ son of a guns). The Mean Green Nation (of all decades) could not be prouder! 

🦅

Weak sauce, if you want to get pumped up then watch 👇 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

@PlummMeanGreenI really admire your passion and optimism -- almost as much as I admire your courage to admit that you went to an Olivia Newton-John concert. 👍🙂

😆

I was coerced to buy tickets by a lady who was hooked on “Grease”—John Travolta & thus Olivia. 

Grease?  It was UNT alum Joan “Rosebud” Blondell’s (the diner waitress in Grease) last movie role before she passed.
Ms. Blondell was actually a Denton native as was another veteran Hollywood actress, one Ann Sheridan.   (I do read my “North Texan” quarterly regularly). 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Ms. Blondell was actually a Denton native as was another veteran Hollywood actress, one Ann Sheridan.   (I do read my “North Texan” quarterly regularly). 🙃

Funnily enough - I knew an old guy who went to NT in the 30s and was friends with Ann Sheridan at the time.

• Lovely Take 3

On 12/1/2021 at 9:57 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Grease?  It was UNT alum Joan “Rosebud” Blondell’s (the diner waitress in Grease) last movie role before she passed.

1906-1979

Joan Blondell - IMDb

image.jpeg.dc12ba8d1a515bb9fe6689f6086efbb7.jpegJoan Blondell in 'Grease' | | dentonrc.com

And now for the "Adler, please tell us more" trivia part.

From James Verinis the co-pilot:

"It was in Bangor, Maine, in September 1942, just before we flew overseas. Captain Bob Morgan and I went to see a movie called ‘Lady for a Night’  Joan Blondell starred in it with John Wayne. In the movie Miss Blondell was repeatedly referred to as 'that Memphis Belle'.

We were walking back to our quarters after the show and Bob suddenly said ‘Gee, that would be a good name for our plane, the 'Memphis Belle’. "

Bob later tried to cover his tail and said that he named his plan after his fiancé'.

They used Joan's 'likeness' or as close as they could get from a pinup pic in Esquire for the nose art...and the rest is, well, literally History.

Memphis Belle Nose Art | The movie version of the " Memphis … | Flickr

https://memphisbelle.com/2016/04/22/whats-in-a-name/

image.png.6109ac520fa333f62c056360027be9bf.png

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, ADLER said:

1906-1979

Joan Blondell - IMDb

image.jpeg.dc12ba8d1a515bb9fe6689f6086efbb7.jpegJoan Blondell in 'Grease' | | dentonrc.com

And now for the "Adler, please tell us more" trivia part.

From James Verinis the co-pilot:

"It was in Bangor, Maine, in September 1942, just before we flew overseas. Captain Bob Morgan and I went to see a movie called ‘Lady for a Night’  Joan Blondell starred in it with John Wayne. In the movie Miss Blondell was repeatedly referred to as 'that Memphis Belle'.

We were walking back to our quarters after the show and Bob suddenly said ‘Gee, that would be a good name for our plane, the 'Memphis Belle’. "

Bob later tried to cover his tail and said that he named his plan after his fiancé'.

They used Joan's 'likeness' or as close as they could get from a pinup pic in Esquire for the nose art...and the rest is, well, literally History.

Memphis Belle Nose Art | The movie version of the " Memphis … | Flickr

https://memphisbelle.com/2016/04/22/whats-in-a-name/

image.png.6109ac520fa333f62c056360027be9bf.png

Thanks ADLER!  Very interesting.

I recall reading that Joan Blondell was a hottie & quite a rounder for her era in Hollywood. She was a life of the party type.
Her above bath tub pic proves some of the point. 

She had a memorable role in a Twilight Zone episode, & here’s a video excerpt of a plump, middle aged Joan Blondell. 

• Upvote 3

Our former North Texas basketball player Ann Sheridan's likeness was much more often used as bomber nose art. The "Oomph Girl" as she was commonly called in the early 1940 was unique because, unlike all the tiny frail actresses of the day, Ann was 5'9" and had extremely long thin muscular legs.

Though hundreds of planes, maybe thousands, bore her likeness, only the B-25 Sheridan Express actually carried her name.

Silver Screen Oasis • View topic - *CANDIDS* | Ann sheridan, Wwii, Nose art

Being somewhat modest, she would only let them use her name if the picture wasn't a "sexy cheesecake" pose. It still looks pretty good if you ask me.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4