Seth could be UNT's Gary Patterson

Coach Andy Mac

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think you have to keep him 1000% at this point. Looking at his whole body of work he is a bad OL and DC hire away from being the next OU coach. I hear the bowl game argument. We had some horrible matchups. And I really think something clicked this season. Seth and co found identity. I know it year 6 but we are dealing with a first time head coach here. He made some bad hires but is learning. I think this team is super young. If we can get some key guys to return. Feel some gaps with transfer you are looking at a potential 10 win team next year and then we can worry about coach getting bigger job. 

3C69AA31-FCEC-4093-80C6-8A4D4537B4D6.png

UNT has to be competitive in the bowl. We just have to be. Do whatever it takes to get his guys to run through the proverbial brick wall. But, yeah, he's gotta stay. He can't keep making the same hiring mistakes and he has to find a qb and quickly find a qb to be groomed. He can't ride a QB without getting serious about replacing him again. It almost cost him. That means padding stats need to stop once said qb is found. Get your next guy in there and figure out who it is. Prepare your very qualified #2 like he's your qb1 then give him his game reps when it presents itself. Recruiting defensive players can't be slept on again either. I'm eager to see who we matchup with and to see how we compete. If it's nearby, put me down. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

UNT has to be competitive in the bowl. We just have to be. Do whatever it takes to get his guys to run through the proverbial brick wall. But, yeah, he's gotta stay. He can't keep making the same hiring mistakes and he has to find a qb and quickly find a qb to be groomed. He can't ride a QB without getting serious about replacing him again. It almost cost him. That means padding stats need to stop once said qb is found. Get your next guy in there and figure out who it is. Prepare your very qualified #2 like he's your qb1 then give him his game reps when it presents itself. Recruiting defensive players can't be slept on again either. I'm eager to see who we matchup with and to see how we compete. If it's nearby, put me down. 

Key to being competitive = RUN the football!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I agree.

I think he made some really good hires at first.  Then his assistants got raided.  I don't think it hurt us as much from GH leaving as an OC as it did as a QB coach.  Seth can do that too, but the HC should be everywhere in practice.

You also have to consider the program that Seth took over.  In the previous 21 years, we had 16 losing seasons including a stretch were we won 13 games over 6 years.  That is hard to overcome when you are recruiting.  Early on he got some good transfers and JUCO's to go with Fine.  But if you look at our classes lately, he has done very well.

There is also the thing with K-State.  It is rare for a coach to openly talk to another school and recover with the one he is at.  I think he may have finally gotten over it here.  It sure would be nice to have a coach not get $$ in their eyes and decide to stay and win a while.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Who cares about the flirting with KState?

If he is great here, KState can hire him away. If he is great at KState, OU will hire him away from them. If he is great at OU, USC will take him from them. And on and on…

It used to be that a college coach would use a 3-4 year plan to build his program, but the coaching carousel and the transfer portal have turned building a college team into a year-to-year proposition. 

Can Seth adapt to this? Will Seth adapt to this?

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

This is really Mc football. Also as Michigan proved you can still win games without the Leach concept. Kudos to Seth for getting PB and taking an offense and adapting it to the talent on the field. The line play is dominating and never thought I would say that about UNT ball! GMG 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Dickey had the play action in his books and Scott Hall was quite good at it.

As much as we like to pile on Dickey, the reality that everyone overlooks is that we had a terrible fluke tragedy to the incumbent qb, and a stupid decision that led to an arrest by the backup all happen right before fall camp. He was left with a rs freshman and they were never able to get another qb developed or in here after that. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

As much as we like to pile on Dickey, the reality that everyone overlooks is that we had a terrible fluke tragedy to the incumbent qb, and a stupid decision that led to an arrest by the backup all happen right before fall camp. He was left with a rs freshman and they were never able to get another qb developed or in here after that. 

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. We had a very viable QB in the development stage...Daniel Maeger. He had a great arm (600+yrds against SMU), he was very fast, and he played.....well....very hard.  BUT the person responsible for his early development was Ramon Flannagin. Daniel had a temper and when he made a mistake (like an INT for instance) he went to the sidelines and sat by himself.  He needed to get with his unit and talk about his/their plan to do better. Until Dodge came along he had crap for coaching/mentoring. However I guess Dodge wasn't interested in helping him with his rough edges and inserted HIS guy ASAP. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, UNT86 said:

I agree.

I think he made some really good hires at first.  Then his assistants got raided.  I don't think it hurt us as much from GH leaving as an OC as it did as a QB coach.  Seth can do that too, but the HC should be everywhere in practice.

You also have to consider the program that Seth took over.  In the previous 21 years, we had 16 losing seasons including a stretch were we won 13 games over 6 years.  That is hard to overcome when you are recruiting.  Early on he got some good transfers and JUCO's to go with Fine.  But if you look at our classes lately, he has done very well.

There is also the thing with K-State.  It is rare for a coach to openly talk to another school and recover with the one he is at.  I think he may have finally gotten over it here.  It sure would be nice to have a coach not get $$ in their eyes and decide to stay and win a while.

Agree with this statement. And as to the title of the thread, I tend to agree.  I have to quit calling him Coach "Smoke and Mirrors"......especially after this last game. SO if I was WB I would sit down with SL and get a sense of his true motivation, as well as what he has learned in the last 6 years. Does he want to turn North Texas into the program that everyone has fantasized about since the days of Hayden Fry, or does he hope that North Texas can still be his stepping stone to something bigger. 

In other words, "do you (like Gary Patterson) want to make North Texas BIG and have that as your legacy?  Or do you want to take over a program that someone else made big?"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Okiefan said:

This team found some toughness and grit that had been lacking. The trenches looked different late this season compared to the past and early this season. You could see it building even though penalties were the by-product at the beginning. PB was chewing butt after every series and now you see him more managing his personnel. This also shows with our running style. Pounding the rock takes toughness. They found an identity. 

Okiefan is right.  👍👍

Some of us said in August that PB would mold this defense.  It took a little while, but look what we had at the Myrtle Beach Bowl compared to last Saturday? Can you say—Day & Night? 
MGRN guys Barnett & Dunham talked about “if they could just have a few of our 2021 losses back now.”

BRING ON THE BOWL GAME-WE’RE ON FIRE & 1F8DC32C-C0DB-4C04-8D7C-9DECB8A71C6C.jpeg.ad64764853b871d3c74c7d122a0ddb9d.jpegREADY NOW! 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This thread is silly.

Despite you and some others thinking I am Seth’s family, friend, or professional hype man, I agree with you here. We are getting way ahead of ourselves. We have had a fantastic end of the season and I want him back next year. But I need to see some consistency. I want what happened at the end of this season to continue next season before we talk about long-term.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Despite you and some others thinking I am Seth’s family, friend, or professional hype man, I agree with you here. We are getting way ahead of ourselves. We have had a fantastic season and I want him back next year. But I need to see some consistency from this season to next before we talk about long-term.

Right.   Think about all of the college coaches throughout the years (1000's).   I'd bet there are less than 50 guys total that would count as "Patterson-like".    I mean, look at guys like Schiano, who was Rutgers' "Patterson" and got them to the B1G conference... then took off for greener pastures.   Fickell is about to be the same with Cincy.   Heck, our own Patterson-like guy bolted for Iowa back in the day.   Those guys are not a dime-a-dozen.

Now, I will say that if NT wins the bowl game and Littrell hangs on, then possibly figures it out and finds success again... maybe the faith Wren showed him through 2.5 horrible seasons will result in a reciprocated faith from Littrell that he could be that guy here.   I doubt it though.

EDIT:  I'd much rather bet on Boise's & UCF's models of successfully hitting on Head Coaches over multiple hires, with success building more success.   I thought that maybe Littrell would be that first step back when he was almost gone to KSSt.   He may still very well be, but with some struggles in between.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right.   Think about all of the college coaches throughout the years (1000's).   I'd bet there are less than 50 guys total that would count as "Patterson-like".    I mean, look at guys like Schiano, who was Rutgers' "Patterson" and got them to the B1G conference... then took off for greener pastures.   Fickell is about to be the same with Cincy.   Heck, our own Patterson-like guy bolted for Iowa back in the day.   Those guys are not a dime-a-dozen.

Now, I will say that if NT wins the bowl game and Littrell hangs on, then possibly figures it out and finds success again... maybe the faith Wren showed him through 2.5 horrible seasons will result in a reciprocated faith from Littrell that he could be that guy here.   I doubt it though.

EDIT:  I'd much rather bet on Boise's & UCF's models of successfully hitting on Head Coaches over multiple hires, with success building more success.   I thought that maybe Littrell would be that first step back when he was almost gone to KSSt.   He may still very well be, but with some struggles in between.

Here's a question...

Would you be interested in replacing Seth with GH if he came calling to Wren?

Just curious

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2