I know we are all hung up on coaching talk

golfingomez

3 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

But since we don't have another game for a couple of weeks I want to take a minute to talk about some of the plays against UTSA. Because I honestly haven't seen an opposing team give up that hard since Ball St. got pounded back in 2013.

My favorite play of this weekend was the 3rd and long conversion by Pirtle... he caught the ball almost five yards short of the 1st down and fought through four(i think) defenders to score a touchdown.

Fought through four defenders with the help of his OL to get a first down.

The play the stood out to me was KD's closing speed to keep Harris from gaining a 1st down.  Little did we know at the time, but that was also Harris' last play of the game.  He was supposedly injured on that play.

A close second would be a tie between the Murphy twins abusing the OT's for utsa and our OL manhandling one of the best run defenses in the nation.

• Upvote 4

UTSA sideline was very weird.

Thought they would come up with their hair on fire to keep that perfect record.   Seemed pretty normal, if not a little lower.  Maybe they shouldn't have spent the previous week shooting hype videos with rented Bentleys. 

Either way, when they got jumped on early they seemed to deflate. 

Pulling the starting QB at half seemed crazy to me.  Yes, they were down 18, but they had a ton of miscues to set us up.  Did they expect that to last?  We had our own stalled drives and turnovers in the second half.  If they had kept everyone in they might have crawled back into it or at least made it closer. 

Terrible message to send to you team, we outscore them 14-0 in the 3rd, and it's all over but the crying. 

• Upvote 7

His earlier touchdown run, I think it was his second, where he made the lateral jump cut was a thing of beauty.  The Ole' play was a result of his hustle and utsa's poor tackling.  The former was all Torrey and broke that poor kid's ankles.

• Upvote 1

On the lateral jump cut my buddy looked at me said, “You don’t coach that.  He was doing it to cousins in the back yard when he was 3.”  

Lots of great plays to choose from, but The Torrey run mentioned earlier gets my vote.  True, there was some bad tackling, but the run was still great.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

My favorite was the dropped touchdown on the first drive. We motioned the tailback out to that side and set it up perfectly.  The pass was dropped,  but you could see that our coaches were finding flaws in the UTSA scheme and knew how to exploit them. That is when I first thought we had a good chance.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

But since we don't have another game for a couple of weeks I want to take a minute to talk about some of the plays against UTSA. Because I honestly haven't seen an opposing team give up that hard since Ball St. got pounded back in 2013.

My favorite play of this weekend was the 3rd and long conversion by Pirtle... he caught the ball almost five yards short of the 1st down and fought through four(i think) defenders to score a touchdown.

Arky quit that day we absolutely drilled them in Fayetteville...its been a long time since we saw another team quit at Apogee, though. Probably was that Ball State team in the heat.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Lots to choose from, just from the Torrey highlights:

Watching the replay of The Torrey Olé™️ (1:02 mark), keep your eye on Dazion Carroll (#78-C).   Whatever you do, don't watch Cole Brown!
Dude neutralizes the NT with his original block, then has the presence of mind to get back and pick up the block on the crashing safety that would have finished up the tackle for a 5-yd loss.  After that, all Torrey needs is a sliver of light, and he's gone.
All of the other OL were thinking they were done after the first 2-3 seconds, like normal, and just kinda standing around.   Carroll is my favorite O-Lineman.  I saw he got hurt in the 2nd half. Hope he's ready to go for the Bowl Game!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

The beginning of the 2nd half shocked me.  No starting QB, and I knew he was okay to play.  They didn't appear ready to punch back.  Lack of energy.  No adjustments and we just kept pounding the ball effectively.

I was shocked not just by how bad we beat them, but how obvious it was that Traynor mailed this game in to get ready for the championship game.  Then I read about how he had requested a flight going home rather than the bus.

I would be upset if I were a UTSA fan.  You are the T25 CUSA school.  Whether you like it or not, you are carrying our conference's flag in the national T25 coverage.   You had plenty of football - a whole half! - to make adjustments and crawl back into it.  As good as I was feeling about UNT, I knew that we benefited a ton from UTSA miscues.  They could have still fought a reasonable fight for the win and just decided to, well, clock out.  The coaches did, anyways.

There were whispers from their end about CFP consideration, and what we just witnessed was one of the most sputtering, anti-climactic T25 runs I've ever seen.  I would expect better from any of our conference brethren.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The beginning of the 2nd half shocked me.  No starting QB, and I knew he was okay to play. 

I saw Harris walk back to the other side of the stadium where the real medical rooms when the teams came out of the halftime. He came out again from that tunnel midway through the third. I am not so sure he was all together..

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, the bomb from Aune to Khatib Lyles at the beginning of the 4th quarter that should have put NT up 52-13, but Littrell didn't challenge... Aune promptly fumbled instead of getting the TD.   But the pass and catch was a thing of beauty.

Even though we were up so much, those series of plays pissed me off so much.

I can't count on my hands how many EGREGIOUSLY bad calls have taken away points on the board (sometimes even at our opponents expense!) due to apathetic officiating that I've personally witnessed at Apogee that would never have a chance of being upheld in a game between P5 opponents.

I hope the AAC refs show a considerable upgrade to what we've had in the past.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Whatever you do, don't watch Cole Brown!

Made me laugh because I was about to brag on him being kind of the "unsung hero" on the OL.  They all have bad plays, and that was one for sure, but he has been solid all year.

The announcers calling the game for ESPN+ stated that Harris was injured on the play where KD closed on him as he tried for the first down.  Never heard anything after that.  Also, was McCormick injured at some point because I don't remember hearing his name called much in the second half.

I was really surprised by their lack of effort and appearing very soft.  Not much fight in the roadrunners.