Not a OU fan, but you have to question LR's ethics

El Paso Eagle

This is the kind of crap that shows the NCAA and more importantly the P5 Presidents are full of crap for not having rules in place.

Seem LR was already calling recruits before the deal was finalized to get them to switch to USC. I understand based on recent rulings they are worried about interfering with players, but seems there needs to be something in place for a coach to leave on his on and be able to potentially tear up a programs recruiting.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 5

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to Not a OU fan, but you have to question LR's ethics

I had an interesting (to me) thought on OU today. Obviously OU is Seth’s dream school and KSU’s fear he’d jump ship to OU was one of the reasons his deal with them fell apart.

Bob Stoops, who loves him some Seth, is coaching the bowl game as interim coach. He isn’t doing anything else right now plus people are throwing his name out for some current openings.

Now here is where I think it could help us. If OU decides that the available coaches aren’t up to their standards, they might just bring back Big Game Bob back full time for a season or two.

Plan A: If Seth can light this thing up next year, maybe Bob recognizes it and suggests they bring him home as the next coach of OU.

Plan B: Seth has grown tired of us and with Lincoln Riley at USC Bobby needs an OC plus the DC at OU already makes more than Seth. Seth takes the OC role with the expectation that he is in the Lincoln Riley head-coach-in-waiting role. 

We win either way. It’ll be fun to watch it all play out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I had an interesting (to me) thought on OU today. Obviously OU is Seth’s dream school and KSU’s fear he’d jump ship to OU was one of the reasons his deal with them fell apart.

Bob Stoops, who loves him some Seth, is coaching the bowl game as interim coach. He isn’t doing anything else right now plus people are throwing his name out for some current openings.

Now here is where I think it could help us. If OU decides that the available coaches aren’t up to their standards, they might just bring back Big Game Bob back full time for a season or two.

Plan A: If Seth can light this thing up next year, maybe Bob recognizes it and suggests they bring him home as the next coach of OU.

Plan B: Seth has grown tired of us and with Lincoln Riley at USC Bobby needs an OC plus the DC at OU already makes more than Seth. Seth takes the OC role with the expectation that he is in the Lincoln Riley head-coach-in-waiting role. 

We win either way. It’ll be fun to watch it all play out.

Plan A would require a 1-loss(or less) season next year.   I'd be thrilled, but not holding my breath.  Otherwise, I don't think OU's boosters would go for it, even if it'd be a homecoming.   I mean, look at how you view Fuente coming here... and he has a .600 record at VATech.   Oklahoma's standards are in a completely different stratosphere than ours.
Plan B would be really cool for everyone involved.  Seth would literally be 1 step away from his dream job.  NT would be forced to hire someone new (unlike firing him & having 105 pissed-off young men), and I trust Baker to make it a home run hire.   But it would be a serious gamble for Seth.   Has anyone stepped away from a FBS HC job to take on a OC role and parlayed it into the HC job later?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Plan A would require a 1-loss(or less) season next year.   I'd be thrilled, but not holding my breath.  Otherwise, I don't think OU's boosters would go for it, even if it'd be a homecoming.   I mean, look at how you view Fuente coming here... and he has a .600 record at VATech.   Oklahoma's standards are in a completely different stratosphere than ours.
Plan B would be really cool for everyone involved.  Seth would literally be 1 step away from his dream job.  NT would be forced to hire someone new (unlike firing him & having 105 pissed-off young men), and I trust Baker to make it a home run hire.   But it would be a serious gamble for Seth.   Has anyone stepped away from a FBS HC job to take on a OC role and parlayed it into the HC job later?

If Fuente was a Mean Green alumnus, especially captain on our last national title team, it would probably cloud my judgment.

And yea, I’m not aware of anyone succeeding in that HC-OC-HC gamble.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If Fuente was a Mean Green alumnus, especially captain on our last national title team, it would probably cloud my judgment.

And yea, I’m not aware of anyone succeeding in that HC-OC-HC gamble.

Ah, yes.  I wasn't even thinking like that.   I suppose OU Boosters could be a nostalgic bunch.
If that were the case, do you think Huepel would make more sense in that scenario?   Of course, he's got Tennessee headed in the right direction.  I really don't think he'd step down to be OC, even at OU.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is the kind of crap that shows the NCAA and more importantly the P5 Presidents are full of crap for not having rules in place.

Seem LR was already calling recruits before the deal was finalized to get them to switch to USC. I understand based on recent rulings they are worried about interfering with players, but seems there needs to be something in place for a coach to leave on his on and be able to potentially tear up a programs recruiting.

How about when Tech fires a coach mid season? Think that interferes with recruiting? Coaches owe no allegiance to any university and they owe none to any coach. They both do what is best for them , which everyone does.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe he is contacting recruits before resigning and there would be no reason since national signing day is a few weeks off. We are going to see coaches leave and take existing players with them as Williams is already mentioned. If endorsements is the future for compensating $$$ college players there is no place better than LA. With his recruiting already established in Ca he will turn that program around very quickly.

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ah, yes.  I wasn't even thinking like that.   I suppose OU Boosters could be a nostalgic bunch.
If that were the case, do you think Huepel would make more sense in that scenario?   Of course, he's got Tennessee headed in the right direction.  I really don't think he'd step down to be OC, even at OU.

You know, I hadn’t even considered Heupel. You make a good point.

I think Tennessee is going to get Kiffined again with Heupel. That is too tantalizing of a job to say No to despite Tennessee being a Rockytop solid job.  

Riley seems a little slimy the way this going down but there is no pretty way to leave a plum job with a mass following for an even more plum job with an even bigger following. Plus Miami is going to pluck Cristobol back to south Florida. Riley can shine like a rockstar in tinsel town quickly with the PAC 12 being so open. 

Wild wild times in college football.

GMG

Did USC throw a bunch of money at him?  Did he really want to go out west or is this his dream job?  He has OU in the national championship discussion almost every year.  They are moving to the SEC.  He's leaving that for a rebuild job at USC?  I'm not sure USC brings anything more to the table prestige-wise in the college football world than OU, so this seems more like a lateral move than anything.  Maybe he feels that OU in the SEC means limited opportunities to get in the playoff picture versus USC in the PAC-12.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, keith said:

Did USC throw a bunch of money at him?  Did he really want to go out west or is this his dream job? 

He’ll get paid very well, probably slightly more than what he was making at OU. He’s a young guy and a millionaire and USC is one of the storied destinations in college football. Also, Southern California’s pretty great if you’ve got a lot of money.

17 minutes ago, keith said:

Maybe he feels that OU in the SEC means limited opportunities to get in the playoff picture versus USC in the PAC-12.

I think this is a definite part of his calculus. The PAC-12 South is ripe for the taking. The SEC West…is not. In the PAC-12 South, you can have an off year and still be in the mix; the SEC West will demand perfection.

if it’s true that he has NFL aspirations down the road, the better choice of the two paths in terms of wins and losses is the PAC-12.

Because we don’t have a lot of exposure to Southern California high school football here, it’s difficult to appreciate how much juice there is in L.A. alone. If he can make USC a destination again for that top tier LAHS talent, he will become a college football god.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, keith said:

Did USC throw a bunch of money at him?  Did he really want to go out west or is this his dream job?  He has OU in the national championship discussion almost every year.  They are moving to the SEC.  He's leaving that for a rebuild job at USC?  I'm not sure USC brings anything more to the table prestige-wise in the college football world than OU, so this seems more like a lateral move than anything.  Maybe he feels that OU in the SEC means limited opportunities to get in the playoff picture versus USC in the PAC-12.

Reported $110M
Bought both his homes in OKLA for $1M over market
Purchased a $6M home for him in LA
24/7 - 365 access to corporate jet

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Is USC a better job than OU?  Or, has Riley seen the writing on the wall and doesn't want to compete in the SEC, so he tucked tail to the PAC12?

I think it's a bit of both. Winning in the Pac 12 is going to be MUCH easier than the SEC. I would think it's a lot easier to show a 18 year old LA verse Norman and let him decide where it's going to be more fun to live. And Riley argued against going to the SEC and was over ruled - that can't make him feel comfortable in that job! 

NIL opportunities are going to have a higher ceiling in big markets.  Our pro leagues all have rules to help spread talent out, otherwise they all gravitate to New York, LA, Miami.  No such rules exist, or are likely to ever exist in college football.  I think this move signals acknowledgment of this new reality more than anything else.  That, and yes, he’s going to win more in the Pac12 vs SEC west.  

• Upvote 1

Lincoln Riley is not scared of the SEC. That argument is tired. Besides the top few teams, the SEC is way overrated anyway. It's really only Bama, Georgia, and 1 or 2 randoms each year. It's mostly just media hype.

LR moved for a better gig. Period. LA vs. Norman for a young, up-and-coming coach who seems to want to land in the NFL anyway? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

31 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

NIL opportunities are going to have a higher ceiling in big markets.  Our pro leagues all have rules to help spread talent out, otherwise they all gravitate to New York, LA, Miami.  No such rules exist, or are likely to ever exist in college football.  I think this move signals acknowledgment of this new reality more than anything else.  That, and yes, he’s going to win more in the Pac12 vs SEC west.  

He will control the Ca. Recruiting market with NIL in high school and college. I can see a booster giving a Jr. In high school an NIL with the commit to carry through college for a commit to USC and bigger commit if he leaves HS early. This will also help in retaining players and not transferring. He only needs to recruit a 100 mi radius. He sees the future of college football.

you're talking about ethics? Did SL not do the same thing when he danced with KSU for 2 weeks leading up to a Bowl Game then proceeded to get stomped? This is just the world of coaching now days, right or wrong, since it is not signing day yet, these kids are free to go wherever they want, they have not signed an NLI yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1