So does Littrell stay now or what?

Jonnyeagle

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He’s done just enough to tip the risk/reward scales of keeping him in his favor for one more year. 

He did something yesterday he has NEVER done. He beat a good team in a game with something on the line. Was it a fluke? Is it a sign of things to come?

Looks like he’s gonna get another year to prove it either way. And his schedule next year is MUCH easier than this year. The stars should be aligned for Littrell next season. 

I hope he’s for real. 

Seth was forced to adapt his offense from a stealth aircraft to a Buick sedan when he finally realized he didn't have a QB that could run what he wanted. He must have gone back and watched PC in his heyday and said..."well I'll be damned!"

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Seth was forced to adapt his offense from a stealth aircraft to a Buick sedan when he finally realized he didn't have a QB that could run what he wanted. He must have gone back and watched PC in his heyday and said..."well I'll be damned!"

And that was a smart, ballsy move on his part. He recognized it was time to try something different.  We can all debate if he should’ve ever been in that position in the first place, but I have to give him credit on making that adjustment. Or maybe he didn’t feel his O Line was ready yet and it took time to gel. Who knows. But it worked. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7

In my opinion, a major factor in the decision about retaining Seth may be determined by who Wren had determined is availabe (and interested in committing) as a replacement and whether or not he is considered a significant upgrade for our entry into the AAC.  The lack of success in the CUSA for 6 years can't be ignored when moving to a tougher conference.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I think Wren's position is that he evaluates every single one of his coaches after the end of their season. Has anyone known him to waver on this?

I believe Wren is brilliant in his capacity as Athletic Director, and he certainly has more riding on this than any of us. I'll support Wren's conclusion 100% with whatever he decides.

Yes.  

Our university is still larger than any one person on its payroll.   Sitting & standing in the rain yesterday (for over 3 hours) was one of the most satisfying things I’ve experienced in 48 years of watching Mean Green football.  
 Haven’t seen so many happy people since Mason Fine’s “the Drive” & a Mean Green win over #20 ranked Purdue last March at the NCAA’s Big Dance.  
Yes, the steady rain kept the crowd away yesterday, but it didn’t dampen the spirits of anyone wearing every shade of green on & off the football field & across Texas with all who ever attended our school.

E3D2E22C-B777-4921-AB81-67CC306F64D2.jpeg.34f75d8a33708a39eca4c8818c9a5330.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

I thought getting to 4 wins would secure his job for next season. 

Another issue, what happens next year if the program takes a step back, prior to going int to the 2023 season in the AAC?  A coaching change would impact recruiting and the transfer portal, I am not sure thats the best way to enter a new conference. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not tough at all. Littrell will be here next year.   Time to cut all this anti-Littrell conversation.

Pending getting destroyed in the bowl game, Litterell has earned his next year as NT HC.

No he has earn the right not to be fired mid-year.  Empty trophy case, 0.500 season, and a career record of one game over or below 0.500 depending on a bowl.   So are we supposed to be rationally optimistic  that year 7 will be anything but hovering around 0.500 with the last 2 games of the year meaningless in the pursuit of a division title?  The only reason this is a debate is that he is under contract already.  The only “anti-Littrell” talk her is just referencing his actual record.  All that “coach mumble” and sideline demeanor talk is just useless BS from frustrated fans.  A two thirds empty stadium to watch a 10-0 conference rival go down wasn’t what anyone hoped for 6 years ago when he was hired.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

No he has earn the right not to be fired mid-year.  Empty trophy case, 0.500 season, and a career record of one game over or below 0.500 depending on a bowl.   So actually believe that 6 years with a one game under 0.500 record earns a head coach something?    The only reason this is a debate is that he is under contract already.  The only “anti-Littrell” talk her is just referencing his actual record.  Al that “coach mumble” and sideline demeanor talk is just useless BS from frustrated.  A two thirds empty stadium to watch a 10-0 conference rival go down wasn’t what anyone hoped for 6 years ago when he was hired.

Its sunday. Lay off the sauce my friend. Spend it with family, not johnny walker.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I think it would be hard for Wren to cut the cord now.  But if he keeps him he becomes his.  Tough situation for Wren.

The only thing hard about it is the buyout.  The better G5 programs let’s a coach with this resume after 6 years go.  Especially if there aren’t a couple of 4-star recruits committed to the school based on thr coach’s reputation.  And one of those great recruits would need to be a QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Its sunday. Lay off the sauce my friend. Spend it with family, not johnny walker.

So you have to be drunk to expect something better than 0.500 in year 6 without any conference championship or bowl wins? 🙄 I enjoy “not sucking” but just “not sucking” isn’t the standard here.  Hey maybe you are 100% right and I am a fool.  Maybe alumni who are sports fans that don’t come to the games know that “not sucking” is the standard here.  Playing spoiler to program that started in 2011 with a second year head coach is our high water mark?  To anyone without ties to UNT or deep knowledge of G5 football history that sounds pathetic.  Hell hand him another extension because he ain’t Todd Dodge while we are at it. 🙄

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

So you have to be drunk to expect something better than 0.500 in year 6 without any conference championship or bowl wins? 🙄 I enjoy “not sucking” but just “not sucking” isn’t the standard here.  Hey maybe you are 100% right and I am a fool.  Maybe alumni who are sports fans that don’t come to the games know that “not sucking” is the standard here.  Playing spoiler to program that started in 2011 with a second year head coach is our high water mark?  To anyone without ties to UNT or deep knowledge of G5 football history that sounds pathetic.  Hell hand him another extension because he ain’t Todd Dodge while we are at it. 🙄

Yeah. Kinda proving my point my friend. Go play a game. Relax. Your heart will thank you.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Based on historic results, we're gonna lose the bowl game by 4 TD's, so no I don't think he'll be back. He is not the coach to lead us into the AAC. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Wren promised a new coach as part of the deal, or at least winning football. We are better off than we were, which is great. Now is the time to take the next step. Find the Grant McCasland of football and hit the ground running.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1