Phil Bennett

Cooke County Kid

1 hour ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Second most improved defense in the nation says it all!

Some of us who were aware of Phil Bennett’s work ethic at Baylor were amazed that he was even available when SL hired him. Some of us called it a hiring coup matter a fact. 

Littrell is now 31 & 31 at North Texas.   Most UNT coaches I’ve seen hired at UNT in 5 decades were way under .500 in their year 6.  Let’s call progress as we see it.  I think our fans need to understand we are not going to hire a combInation of Elmer Gantry & Tom Landry in Denton.  Neither is most of the G-5 & lower echelon P-5 for that matter.  

Our favorite school has named things after coaches who were way under .500 when they left Denton. “If ‘ifs’ & butt’ were candy & nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas” but...had we had Phil Bennett last year Seth Littrell would have not been on the hot seat at all this year.  

A good tell-tell  for SL is that most of the Mean Green Football Lettermen group want him back as do the majority of his present players from all accounts. (Had he been terminated there was always a chance for some kind of a boycott or portal transfer blitzkrieg out of the MG Village & that’s what one Denton County alum told me just today).  

Let’s just play the game & win our fair share with a bowl win or 2 or 3, too?

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Some of us who were aware of Phil Bennett’s work ethic at Baylor were amazed that he was even available when SL hired him. Some of us called it a hiring coup matter a fact. 

Littrell is now 31 & 31 at North Texas.   Most UNT coaches I’ve seen hired at UNT in 5 decades were way under .500 in their year 6.  Let’s call progress as we see it.  I think our fans need to understand we are not going to hire a combInation of Elmer Gantry & Tom Landry in Denton.  Neither is most of the G-5 & lower echelon P-5 for that matter.  

Our favorite school has named things after coaches who were way under .500 when they left Denton. “If ‘ifs’ & butt’ were candy & nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas” but...had we had Phil Bennett last year Seth Littrell would have not been on the hot seat at all this year.  

A good tell-tell  for SL is that most of the Mean Green Football Lettermen group want him back as do the majority of his present players from all accounts. (Had he been terminated there was always a chance for some kind of a boycott or portal transfer blitzkrieg out of the MG Village & that’s what one Denton County alum told me just today).  

🦅

I like Coach Litrell and hope he stays in Denton.  I'll hang up now.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Love what I watched yesterday.  Was it up to the early 2000 defenses under DD and Deloach?  Not quite, but man I love watching a defense get after it.  We have to hold on to Bennett for as long as he wants to coach.  If he goes, hold on to his right hand man, Coach Gush, and continue with the progress made.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

You mean with the coach than has won 0 so far in 6 years?   He has yet to even be competitive in a bowl game let  alone win one.  I kind of tired of my team being the but of jokes compared any FBS program in the state minus Rice & UTEP.  Holding on to mediocre like it’s gold because we’ve sucked doesn’t inspire confidence.  I hear Jason Garrett is available maybe for cheaper than Seth is now if we value mediocrity so much. Party at empty Apogee next Saturday for the “We aren’t terrible” party 🎉 

Bravo to Phil Bennet and props to Seth for hiring him.  Now win a bowl game before fluff the idea of bring Seth back.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Even in the blowout losses, the defense is not what killed us. Our offense has taken a significant step backwards in terms of passing abilities and it's kept the defense on the field A LOT more than they probably wanted to be this year. If we have a Mason Fine (I know, just hang with me) on this team we probably go 9-3/10-2 or so. I love Aune so much and he is worthy of our respect but if this team had a QB who could really get the ball moving.... man I don't think we lose a couple of those early games as badly as we do.

• Upvote 2