We're a QB away

WanderingEagle

I'll wait to see how Aune does in the Bowl Game before throwing him under the bus.

I know who we played these last 5 games but IMO receivers and QB have gotten the routes down better. Austin has thrown some good balls and also has  managed the last couple of games better. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

AA seems to be closer to a Wildcat QB for UNT who can also complete around 50% of his passes.

Yeah, that's just not going to cut it. With our run game you would assume some hard off tackle PA would be established and it would allow him to take some shots to more open WRs. With Adaway coming back into the fold next year and with our other promising young backs, that's an offense you can build around. It's just a philosophical change to what is not SL's norm. Is SL comfortable with making a wholesale change? Are we bringing in more quality OL to plug n play? Is the defense going to take another stride forward. It's a philosophy that isn't necessarily a bad one, but it requires interchangeable parts to make an actual good football team. Team defense, hungry/mauling OL, physical running backs, and a QB that can manage/check in and out of plays/understand moving the pocket and developing a good PA game. A lot more variables go into play with this type of offense than an air raid style system. 

If Seth's around next year, he has to decide what he wants to do as a program... i think it's hard to have a great defense with an air raid offense... it's just not seen often. I think even if the offense is at full strength (position player-wise), the defense could still be the strength of this team. 

If so, i would want a run-based approach, with a QB that can throw when needed.

None of this is easy/straightforward, but hopefully we have a clear gameplan headed into next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

If Seth's around next year, he has to decide what he wants to do as a program... i think it's hard to have a great defense with an air raid offense... it's just not seen often. I think even if the offense is at full strength (position player-wise), the defense could still be the strength of this team. 

None of this is easy/straightforward, but hopefully we have a clear gameplan headed into next year.

He found success switching to a primary ground and pound run game, and I don't see him switching back. With the stable of running backs we have and massive improvement of the O-line, I hope he has found a formula for success that he keeps going with. There are many benefits to being a run dominant team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

He found success switching to a primary ground and pound run game, and I don't see him switching back. With the stable of running backs we have and massive improvement of the O-line, I hope he has found a formula for success that he keeps going with. There are many benefits to being a run dominant team. 

I think this is partly Bloesch's area of expertise.   He came up in Briles' Veer-&-Shoot offense.  Littrell really started borrowing a lot from that system to incorporate into his Air Raid.   Now that the Air Raid portion of the offense clearly wouldn't work due to QB/WR play, he had to utilize his strengths.   

Also, Littrell is a RB's coach at heart, so he can get a lot out of a run game, and can coach up RBs well.   But if we trot this same offense (the one we've seen the past 2 games in heavy rain that is something like 75%Run/25%Pass) out next season as our base offense, it's gonna be a long season.   We have to get the Air Raid part of the offense back up and running.

... or bring in a new coach.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

52 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

If we didn't learn from the Zappe situation then we'll be in a similar situation next season. We need to find a good QB with recent playing experience and let him compete with Aune and Ruder for the gig. 

Based on our history with transfers, how would you convince a high, heck medium profile transfer to come to UNT?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Based on our history with transfers, how would you convince a high, heck medium profile transfer to come to UNT?

JUCO. JUCO. JUCO.
While everyone is looking to get the Buechele's & Mordecai's out of the portal, go identify a really good JUCO QB, and recruit the heck out of him.  Make him a priority, not a "fallback if we don't get Spencer Rattler, Dillon Gabriel, Miles Brennan, Jacob Zeno, etc...".

Somebody like this:
https://nwccrangers.com/sports/football/roster/michael-hiers/2849

COMP ATT PCT YDS Y/G Y/A TD INT LG EFFIC
Total 11 190 266 71.4% 2696 245.1 10.1 19 2 92 178.6

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14933014/6148e885b018b604605cb35c

His 247 page shows no offers or interest.  But his Twitter shows all kinds of offers.
Not sure how much attention these JUCO guys are getting, but a 71.4 Completion% with a 19/2 TD/INT ratio and 178.6 QBR is really, really good.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

JUCO. JUCO. JUCO.
While everyone is looking to get the Buechele's & Mordecai's out of the portal, go identify a really good JUCO QB, and recruit the heck out of him.  Make him a priority, not a "fallback if we don't get Spencer Rattler, Dillon Gabriel, Miles Brennan, Jacob Zeno, etc...".

Somebody like this:

His 247 page shows no offers or interest.  But his Twitter shows all kinds of offers.
Not sure how much attention these JUCO guys are getting, but a 71.4 Completion% with a 19/2 TD/INT ratio and 178.6 QBR is really, really good.

General Booty, outside of having an incredible name, also had a good year at Tyler Juco and doesn't seem to be getting a lot of offers either

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2021-22/div1/players/generalbooty9kp6

3100 yds 25 TD's to 11 INT's

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

JUCO. JUCO. JUCO.

Somebody like this:

I think a lot of very, very good JUCO players are going to be available. More and more P5's are treating G5's and FCS schools as their "JUUCO's"

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Michigan could be the model. Is "T it high and let it fly "becoming obsolete? Credit to coach for adjusting to talent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

Appeal to their ego: We brought  in Morris, Ruder and they weren’t it. We think YOU are it, etc. 

I think if we have a new QB coach to pair this with it could work. If not, and I am recruiting against us, I play up the "look how they messed up these other guys" route.

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Would be a shame. It isn’t like he won’t get a chance to compete for the starting job. 

I agree. After a year in the system he could be greatly improved. His passes, although few, late in the year were much better than earlier in the season.