We're a QB away

WanderingEagle

Aune may or not be back, but besides that we have the spring to see what we have. Wouldn’t be surprised if they also bring in a transfer to compete, especially if Aune leaves. 
I hope there is a good chance Ruder can improve as well.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Morris almost won us a bowl game. Let’s go a little easier on the guy, ok?

He also got replaced out of the gate by some scrawny kid from Oklahoma no one had heard of. Anyone remember that guy?

(I kid, Alec did a great job picking up the pieces at season end. But we had ALL anointed this 'Bama QB as the savior of UNT football after the..ugh..Mcnulty years)

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Udomann said:

He also got replaced out of the gate by some scrawny kid from Oklahoma no one had heard of. Anyone remember that guy?

(I kid, Alec did a great job picking up the pieces at season end. But we had ALL anointed this 'Bama QB as the savior of UNT football after the..ugh..Mcnulty years)

Both Aune and Ruder this year were at McNuggets level of production. Our Defense and RB's are the only reason we're remotely sniffing a bowl game. 

If we want any type of success next year and into the future we need a MINIMUM of senior year DT.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Would be a shame. It isn’t like he won’t get a chance to compete for the starting job. 

I think he didn’t really get a fair chance in the summer, and when thrown out there he struggled. 

With all that being said, Start Drummond 2022

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I think he didn’t really get a fair chance in the summer, and when thrown out there he struggled. 

With all that being said, Start Drummond 2022

I cant see Littrell going with Drummond next year knowing he HAS to have a winning season to avoid being fired. I suspect our 2022 starting QB isn't on our roster right now. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I cant see Littrell going with Drummond next year knowing he HAS to have a winning season to avoid being fired. I suspect our 2022 starting QB isn't on our roster right now. 

Spencer Rattler just entered the portal

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Like many of your, I pull what little hair I have left out while watching Aune at times.    But, honestly, 10-ish years ago, anyone that sat near me can recall me screaming "OMG THOMPSON WHAT ARE YOU DOING???????", before his senior season...  Aune, in a way, reminds me of Thompson going into his senior season.   I recall his junior year, I think Thompson threw 15 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions, +/-.....Going into his senior season, the writing was kinda on the wall for Derek.  He'd played 3 seasons, and it might be time to start working in a younger kid to learn the system.    A lesser QB might have just rolled over, but I recall Derek (even in some write ups/interviews...) saying he was going to work as hard as ever to win that starting job his senior season, which he did....

Thompson wasn't the greatest QB in the world, but the guy was a LEADER, and really great at managing the game and making good/consistent decisions.    If Aune puts in the time during offseason, fights for the job, and we have a good QB coach,, coupled with great depth at RB, the backfield will be very tough.    It doesn't have to be Heisman-worthy, just consistent, well managed, minimize mistakes, have a sense of urgency...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Both Aune and Ruder this year were at McNuggets level of production. Our Defense and RB's are the only reason we're remotely sniffing a bowl game. 

If we want any type of success next year and into the future we need a MINIMUM of senior year DT.

I can agree with this statement a lot. DT wasn't a gunslinger or even a spectacular player, but he was serviceable, checked us into quality plays, made throws when it mattered and could nickel and dime a defense if called upon. Also, for what it's worth, he seemed like a solid leader and handler of the huddle and offense. From afar, he demanded respect and commanded the offense. A senior year DT would put us in really good position. Now granted, if we're still trying to air raid it then we'll need someone with more arm talent. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I can agree with this statement a lot. DT wasn't a gunslinger or even a spectacular player, but he was serviceable, checked us into quality plays, made throws when it mattered and could nickel and dime a defense if called upon. Also, for what it's worth, he seemed like a solid leader and handler of the huddle and offense. From afar, he demanded respect and commanded the offense. A senior year DT would put us in really good position. Now granted, if we're still trying to air raid it then we'll need someone with more arm talent. 

AA seems to be closer to a Wildcat QB for UNT who can also complete around 50% of his passes.