Bowl Projections

SigmaGreen

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Fresno State just lost their coach to Washington State. We would have to take advantage of that. 

Washington.

Many know I was born and raised on Fresno St campus (parents were profs there) and the dogs are definitely the other team I root for. I've watched more Bulldog games in my life and in person, but more of my dollars have gone to UNT so they win the tiebreaker here. I'm not sure this is a matchup we (UNT) would want, but losing a head coach can really derail a team during bowl season.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Yuck! I hope we don't play UNT in a bowl game. If we do, then at least Tune will throw for over 400 yards on UNT's crappy defense and our true freshman running back McCaskill will run for 200 yards.

It will also make my trolling on here more amusing for a while.

what ?!? you 'troll' ?!? I had no Idea!!!!

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, MDH said:

Washington.

Many know I was born and raised on Fresno St campus (parents were profs there) and the dogs are definitely the other team I root for. I've watched more Bulldog games in my life and in person, but more of my dollars have gone to UNT so they win the tiebreaker here. I'm not sure this is a matchup we (UNT) would want, but losing a head coach can really derail a team during bowl season.

Although it didn't work out for us well at the New Mexico Bowl a few years ago!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

While I frequently poke fun at the overestimation of attendance on this board (no, there were not 40,000 North Texas fans at the 2014 HOD Bowl), I do think our fanbase typically shows well for bowl games. I'd expect the stadium to be near capacity for this.  Of course, it is likely between us and ODU getting left out of the bowl picture since we have a conference that won't help (and may actively obstruct) either of those teams get a spot.

(Not really intended for you, MG Matt—honestly). 

How many were at the 2014 HOD Bowl?  The Cotton Bowl seats 95,000 so can 37-39,000 (1/3’rd capacity) count as “almost 40,000?”  
A UNT official I overheard was actually floating the “almost 40K” number as was a long time Big Donor. It sounds better than “Hell! Damn Stadium was pert near empty.”  (Now that quote may have gotten countless upvotes on GMG—who knows)? 

I think some on GMG have no idea how many potential fans they run off with their constant criticism, know (most) of it all attitude, apparent desire to win an annual Pulitzer For Hot Sports Opinion Prize & general pessimism about this athletic program.  It comes out in most every comment some of them post.  We’ve all played NegNed at times, but it’s not our permanent home.  

You’d even think some here will not be happy until UNT receives  “A College Head FB Coach’s Graveyard” Award. Well, we have to put a 🛑 stop to that one soon & very soon.

🎤 OVER & OUT!

ROGER THAT!

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

(Not really intended for you, MG Matt—honestly). 

How many were at the 2014 HOD Bowl?  The Cotton Bowl seats 95,000 so can 37-39,000 (1/3’rd capacity) count as “almost 40,000?”  
A UNT official I overheard was actually floating the “almost 40K” number as was a long time Big Donor. It sounds better than “Hell! Damn Stadium was pert near empty.”  (Now that quote may have gotten countless upvotes on GMG—who knows)? 

I think some on GMG have no idea how many potential fans they run off with their constant criticism, know (most) of it all attitude, apparent desire to win an annual Pulitzer For Hot Sports Opinion Prize & general pessimism about this athletic program.  It comes out in most every comment some of them post.  We’ve all played NegNed at times, but it’s not our permanent home.  

You’d even think some here will not be happy until UNT receives  “A College Head FB Coach’s Graveyard” Award. Well, we have to put a 🛑 stop to that one soon & very soon.

🎤 OVER & OUT!

ROGER THAT!

🦅

I’m a realist, Plumm. 

We had a great crowd that day. But the upper deck was 100% empty with the exception of some people above the main North Texas crowd. The lower bowl end zones were largely empty and the UNLV side was not even close to full. Plus on the North Texas side the seats underneath the upper deck (the obstructed view seats behind the pillars) were largely empty. I’d say we had around 25,000 North Texas fans there. Throw in some UNLV fans and some casual observers, then add about 10,000 phantom attendees to make the number look better and you get around 40,000. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2014 was a different time... over the last 18 months or so the world has changed, we have gotten used to watching everything at home on a variety of ever improving devises.  It just seems like fewer and fewer people are attending big events these days.  Dont get me wrong, I would love to see a sell out, however they will need to promote the hell out of this game to make that happen. 

• Upvote 3

IMG_20140101_115439022.thumb.jpg.c02a9e22eedbd6c2bc3e61f7bbb2704e.jpg

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I’m a realist, Plumm. 

We had a great crowd that day. But the upper deck was 100% empty with the exception of some people above the main North Texas crowd. The lower bowl end zones were largely empty and the UNLV side was not even close to full. Plus on the North Texas side the seats underneath the upper deck (the obstructed view seats behind the pillars) were largely empty. I’d say we had around 25,000 North Texas fans there. Throw in some UNLV fans and some casual observers, then add about 10,000 phantom attendees to make the number look better and you get around 40,000. 

I have more photos of the stadium from that day.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, MrAlien said:

2014 was a different time... over the last 18 months or so the world has changed, we have gotten used to watching everything at home on a variety of ever improving devises.  It just seems like fewer and fewer people are attending big events these days.  Dont get me wrong, I would love to see a sell out, however they will need to promote the hell out of this game to make that happen. 

2014 sounds way more fun. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

New ATHLON SPORTS bowl game projections.

Frisco Bowl (Dec. 21)

Tie-In: AAC/C-USA/MAC/MW/Sun Belt

Projection: North Texas vs. Nevada

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/bowl-projections-2021

North Texas will sell out this bowl.

Carson Strong (QB) to Romeo Doubs (WR) would be very very unfavorable for us - they'll both be playing on Sundays. But, there are rumors that Carson Strong won't be playing in the bowl game given he's a projected 1st rounder. I'm all for the challenge though. The Wolfpack were a fringe top 25 team at many points this season.

Edited by MDH
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

Carson Strong (QB) to Romeo Doubs (WR) would be very very unfavorable for us - they'll both be playing on Sundays. But, there are rumors that Carson Strong won't be playing in the bowl game given he's a projected 1st rounder. I'm all for the challenge though. The Wolfpack were a fringe top 25 team at many points this season.

Totally agree.
I'd much rather have Tulsa in this bowl.     
Nevada lost 3 games in MWC play... by a total of 6pts.  They are a very good team, like AppSt-last-season good.
This would be just our luck though.   We're plain unlucky at bowl game draws since Littrell has been here.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Totally agree.
Nevada lost 3 games in MWC play... by a total of 6pts.  They are a very good team, like AppSt-last-season good.
This would be just our luck though.   We're plain unlucky at bowl game draws since Littrell has been here.

We haven’t played any teams in bowl games that our fan base doesn’t have an expectation of being able to beat. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We haven’t played any teams in bowl games that our fan base doesn’t have an expectation of being able to beat. 

I think we all thought we were going to beat Army in 2016 (since we'd already beaten them earlier that season).
I think we were pretty confident with the C-USA West division champs VS Troy in 2017.  But some of us were concerned about Brown's great Troy team.
I'd say maybe 1/3 of us thought we'd win the NM Bowl against ranked UTSt.
I don't know of a single sane person who thought we were going to win the Myrtle Beach Bowl last year.

So yeah, it started off well, and fell off.   Play Nevada, especially if Strong plays, and I think the prognostications will be like the UTSt game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Totally agree.

Unlucky or not you play the game you're given. And outside of the game against Army, Seth has been embarrassed in every other bowl game

I'm just tired of getting blown out by quality G5 opponents. You know how bad it's going to look if Seth leads us into the AAC and continues to lose to Sun Belt/MWC teams? 

That's why we need a change. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think we all thought we were going to beat Army in 2016 (since we'd already beaten them earlier that season).
I think we were pretty confident with the C-USA West division champs VS Troy in 2017.  But some of us were concerned about Brown's great Troy team.
I'd say maybe 1/3 of us thought we'd win the NM Bowl against ranked UTSt.
I don't know of a single sane person who thought we were going to win the Myrtle Beach Bowl last year.

So yeah, it started off well, and fell off.   Play Nevada, especially if Strong plays, and I think the prognostications will be like the UTSt game.

That’s not what I mean. We should never see Appalachian State on the opponent line and think “well, stinks we got drawn into a game we can’t win”. We should not have to hope for weak bowl opponents so we have a chance to win. I actually hope we end up by chance getting a borderline top 25 team in a bowl game to see how far Littrell has brought this team. That’s going to do us a lot better than playing Kent State, with all due respect to the Golden Flashes. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt