Bowl Projections

SigmaGreen

We’d all love the Armed Forces Bowl since we know we’d see a sea of apple green in Amon Carter Stadium, on the TCU campus &  all over Cowtown but—UNT vs UH?  I would hope not with UH as the opponent.  Emmitt is right—it could be the recipe for a bowl disaster.  

Some think we compare to UH in so many ways, but knowing some things about the school off Houston’s Cullen Blvd we still don’t compare in other strategic athletic ways.
We are still not in UH’s league in recruiting.  One reason UT’s DKRoyal helped get UH into the old SWC was because he wanted Coog’ville recruiting under the same SWC rules & guidelines as UT. Some in the SWC thought UH to be rogue.  (I didn’t as I was as big a Coog fan there was growing up near G-Town). 

Still.....UH vs UNT?   I think UH’s  last trip to Apogee Stadium in 2019 is Exhibit A for the recruiting comparison of UH vs our favorite school.  In all actuality, that seems a main concern with many on GMG when it concerns SL as far as the question—can he get us to an AAC level of recruiting?  If he stays in tact, there would be no choice for that. ▶️ Maybe he already has with the promise of our present young UNT team (as seen yesterday vs UTSA) yet we the all time smartest fans in the NCAA (sarc’) just don’t know it yet?🙄 

❇️••• Below pic taken an hour ago on my way to 7-11 for that first cup here in Parker County, Texas, America near Weatherford.  

A4B3EE5B-0BE6-48A8-9B08-0314DEBA08F9.thumb.jpeg.3b00f4c7c8020de4215432dee8badffa.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.  Kinda like us rolling into the Myrtle Beach Bowl last year with a 4-win record against a ranked App St?  It’s just what we’re good at.

Yet how could AD Wren Baker have ever said “We’ve been invited to that new bowl game in Myrtle Beach, but our “D” is just not ready for prime time?” 
He knew it—we knew it, but you could have never say “we ain’t going” to last years team.   
(I do think we’d all agree Defense Coordinator Phil Bennett’s 2021 “D” is ready to roll, bab’ee)!CACB6231-02F3-4F2B-90BD-4E956CA5C9AC.jpeg.5e3903ac3d7f020ae8affd11d6a452fe.jpeg9E212810-9940-47D4-ABDC-992EFAEE626B.jpeg.588774e774c092f8fc21ee82d27b089e.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We just announced a move to a conference that partners with ESPN… you know, the same conference that controls all these piddly bowls we’d be playing in!   You know who stuck with Judy & ruined the MAC expansion efforts ESPN no-doubt had a hand in putting together? MTSU.

I think exiting CUSA actually hurts our bowl chances.  The bowls are aligned with conferences and CUSA is likely to lobby to MTSU over UNT.  But fortunately for us bowl committees are going to compare schools head to head, so UNT probably comes out ahead over MTSU.   The bowl committee cares about Better attendance, ticket sales.  The Network cares about better media market, better signature win (UTSA vs UConn), second half of the season to carry over to a bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Hawaii is not bowl eligible at 6-7 if there are enough teams at 6-6 or better. What I don’t know is if Hawaii is one of the 83 teams in Brett’s tweet. 

My only concern would be our current bad blood with CUSA, but ODU is in the same boat with that. 

Bad blood? I think the administration has been very professional and have been a class act through this realignment process no? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

CUSA administration can lobby all they want.  ESPN holds all the cards.  Besides, since when is anyone concerned about Judy’s lobbying prowess?

CUSA has ONE team in the top 20 who is undefeated and playing a rivalry game against a 5 & 6 team who has won 4 games in a row. We end up being broadcast on ESPN +, watched by nobody , with no game highlights. ODU and Charlotte, both 5 & 6 teams, make the mainstream television coverage, and the Monarchs win a helmet sticker for turning around their 1 & 6 season to become bowl eligible.Sound familiar? I have not seen any mainstream coverage of our win. Can we leave Judge Judy and CUSA any faster?

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

College Football Final on ESPN covered the game. Don’t think it gets any more main stream than that. 

In case you missed it, ODU got two props for their 5 game winning streak (they, like us, started 1-6).

one prop was a “turnaround take” which included a screen prop/congratulatory segment for “turning around their season”

second was getting the helmet stickers, getting props again for such a remarkable turnaround.

meanwhile, we get no such mention despite having five straight wins, the T25 win (ODU does not have one). No props. No helmet stickers.  Just the game highlights that come with their T25 coverage.

i swear there is some weird anti-UNT juju in the media. Like we are cursed.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

In case you missed it, ODU got two props for their 5 game winning streak (they, like us, started 1-6).

one prop was a “turnaround take” which included a screen prop/congratulatory segment for “turning around their season”

second was getting the helmet stickers, getting props again for such a remarkable turnaround.

meanwhile, we get no such mention despite having five straight wins, the T25 win (ODU does not have one). No props. No helmet stickers.  Just the game highlights that come with their T25 coverage.

i swear there is some weird anti-UNT juju in the media. Like we are cursed.

I mean….it really depends on what media you consume. I don’t watch cable tv or any of that stuff but I’ve seen plenty of stuff on social media so again I think it’s just what you’re looking for. I haven’t heard of any ODU stuff. Lastly it was a crazy day in college football you really thought North Texas would get more coverage on a day like today?! Stoooop my man 😅

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I mean….it really depends on what media you consume. I don’t watch cable tv or any of that stuff but I’ve seen plenty of stuff on social media so again I think it’s just what you’re looking for. I haven’t heard of any ODU stuff. Lastly it was a crazy day in college football you really thought North Texas would get more coverage on a day like today?! Stoooop my man 😅

We here in Mean Green Nation are accustomed to seeking alternative ways to find our Eagles play.

ESPN and College Football Final, as far as I know, still wear the crown for media consumption when you're talking about majority CFB viewership.

EDIT: I thought what we got was right on par with what I expected.  What threw me off was the ODU props.  We both share the exact same turnaround, and the Mean Green one-upped them with a T25 win.  But, for whatever reason, ESPN wanted to praise ODU and not us.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3