Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Seth Littrell


Cooke County Kid
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So fans that are not happy with #Hit6 in year 6 of the highest paid coach in the conference are bad fans. I guess if we wen 1-11 you would consider yourself a great fan. Just because your a sheep don't blame others who are actually tired of #OLDDENTON.

UTSA has the highest paid coach in the conference (2.8 ave for 10yrs) and they just got stomped by a 6-6 team that has won their last 5 games.  

  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, casual fan said:

UTSA has the highest paid coach in the conference (2.8 ave for 10yrs) and they just got stomped by a 6-6 team that has won their last 5 games.  

Since your trying to be a smart a$$ - The new contract actually kicks in next year. So for now, Seth is the highest paid. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better be careful what you wish for.  Many before Littrell have had far worse results trying to wake this sleeping giant.  Would love it if they could somehow get Harrell to rejoin Littrell's staff here.  Littrell, Harrell, Bennett.  Geez, that is the making of a P5 level staff.

Not sure that Harrell would still consider a coordinator role with UNT, or if UNT could afford him, but maybe the $'s that folks were thinking of spending on a buyout could be used to help lure Harrell back for a couple of years.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Better be careful what you wish for.  Many before Littrell have had far worse results trying to wake this sleeping giant.  Would love it if they could somehow get Harrell to rejoin Littrell's staff here.  Littrell, Harrell, Bennett.  Geez, that is the making of a P5 level staff.

Not sure that Harrell would still consider a coordinator role with UNT, or if UNT could afford him, but maybe the $'s that folks were thinking of spending on a buyout could be used to help lure Harrell back for a couple of years.

Well, if the money was easily there for a buyout as we've been told, then I would hope a guy that many here were excited about hiring as SL's HC replacement only weeks ago might come back if the price is right and the P5 jobs fill without him.

Otherwise, for real, go get Yost off his couch or whatever he's doing now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, if the money was easily there for a buyout as we've been told, then I would hope a guy that many here were excited about hiring as SL's HC replacement only weeks ago might come back if the price is right and the P5 jobs fill without him.

Otherwise, for real, go get Yost off his couch or whatever he's doing now.

Yost is likely on a beach somewhere getting baked, but if he could find his Utah State mojo instead of the goose egg he laid in Lubbock he would be a good addition.  Not exactly sure what Yost is doing, but doesn't appear to be football related at the moment.

I know Harrell's extension as USC was slightly over $1M per year and he is likely on the radar at places that might be able to match that.  Doubt we could even get to $500k, but would be awesome if it worked out.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m still of the belief that he needs to go. Too little, too late for me to be happy with this years performance following that last couple years. 

Julian Castro 2020 Race GIF

At this point, SL needs to stay for at least another year. The coaching carousel turns swift and early in college football. If we were going to let him go, it would need to have happened already to get the search started. And no matter what happens in the bowl game, I stand by this. It would be way too late to let him go and start the search even if we get completely embarrassed again on the national stage. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

The “Get Rid of Seth” ship has sailed.  I was on board, but got on a lifeboat after Saturday.  I’m not happy with 6 wins nor am I happy with how we got steamrolled by UAB and Marshall.  However, I am happy with the turnaround I’ve seen when it would have been very easy to quit.  We have played disciplined football with very few boneheaded mistakes.  We are not expecting our QB to win games and more importantly, we really aren’t allowing him to lose games.  And that defense:  Young, fast, and aggressive. A team that was an absolute beating to watch early in the season has become very fun to watch.  They are playing with a lot of emotion, but it’s a controlled excitement, unlike early in the year.
 

Plus, I think it’s too late to get rid of him now and I don’t think it would be good to be a part of all these falling dominoes.  I can’t recall a crazier end of season coaching carousel.   

Agreed, although I wouldn’t mind it if UNT was putting some feelers out and checking out some of the big names that are apart of the carousel. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

The “Get Rid of Seth” ship has sailed.  I was on board, but got on a lifeboat after Saturday.  I’m not happy with 6 wins nor am I happy with how we got steamrolled by UAB and Marshall.  However, I am happy with the turnaround I’ve seen when it would have been very easy to quit.  We have played disciplined football with very few boneheaded mistakes.  We are not expecting our QB to win games and more importantly, we really aren’t allowing him to lose games.  And that defense:  Young, fast, and aggressive. A team that was an absolute beating to watch early in the season has become very fun to watch.  They are playing with a lot of emotion, but it’s a controlled excitement, unlike early in the year.
 

Plus, I think it’s too late to get rid of him now and I don’t think it would be good to be a part of all these falling dominoes.  I can’t recall a crazier end of season coaching carousel.   

Agreed.  It's one thing if you see the team quit on the coach (see: Portlandia State), but Littrell seems to still control the room with his team, and that is 90% of the battle.

  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, Littrell is obviously not going anywhere.

Pending a disaster in the bowl game, and I think odds are that is not going to happen. 

I frankly don't understand why any fan would even want a coaching change.   Football is a now game, I don't care what happened prior to to this year when evaluating a head coach.    Anyone who thinks NT was not at a big disadvantage in the Virus year, just didn't pay any attention to the games. 

Visions of hiring a better coach with the probability of doing better than a HC that ending the year on a positive run and by all measures appears to have recruiting very well, are a lot smaller than some seem to think. 

This team kept improving and ending a lot stronger than they begin despite a lot of injuries.  I think NT is the best team in the CUSA West now and would beat every league unit they were defeated by.   

WKU is the only CUSA team that I would pick over NT at this time and that game would be close. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The win over a ranked, undefeated UTSA and the five games win streak is great; but if you have an opportunity for a better coach this year (e.g. Justin Fuente, Skip Holtz, Garry Patterson, etc.), would you not kick the tires or consider it? Those guys may not be available next year when SL end the 2022 season with a 6-6 record. Or maybe that’s good enough.

Edited by AsianEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Moobs said:

And what exactly about Seth’s tenure makes you think the odds are leaning that way?  😂

Read the whole post, I outlined my position.

I also stated that Bowl victories are primarily determined by what team you play.  I don't think there are many G5 teams that NT can't compete with.   Obviously, Cincinnati, Houston and other top 25 teams would be hard to deal with. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, AsianEagle said:

The win over a ranked, undefeated UTSA and the five games win streak is great; but if you have an opportunity for a better coach this year (e.g. Justin Fuente, Skip Holtz, Garry Patterson, etc.), would you not kick the tires or consider it? Those guys may not be available next year when SL end the 2022 season with a 6-6 record. Or maybe that’s good enough.

I mean if you have a shot of getting your guy, a coach you worked side by side with and know exactly what type of person and work ethic etc you are getting with him then you sure as hell better hire him or risk doing major damage to your career arc.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AsianEagle said:

The win over a ranked, undefeated UTSA and the five games win streak is great; but if you have an opportunity for a better coach this year (e.g. Justin Fuente, Skip Holtz, Garry Patterson, etc.), would you not kick the tires or consider it? Those guys may not be available next year when SL end the 2022 season with a 6-6 record. Or maybe that’s good enough.

This defense is getting 8 wins at least next year

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AsianEagle said:

The win over a ranked, undefeated UTSA and the five games win streak is great; but if you have an opportunity for a better coach this year (e.g. Justin Fuente, Skip Holtz, Garry Patterson, etc.), would you not kick the tires or consider it? Those guys may not be available next year when SL end the 2022 season with a 6-6 record. Or maybe that’s good enough.


FFS people.

Fuente isn’t coming here, Patterson is past his expiration date, and Holtz is a bum.

Seth is coming back. He earned it. This team will be stacked next year. We really are one quarterback away from greatness.

Enjoy the ride, and quit dreaming of ways to make things worse.

  • Upvote 8
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone likes to point to the Marshall game, but don't forget that was the same time over 18 players had their cars broken into while they were at the team hotel getting ready for the game. Hard to concentrate as a 18-22 year old when that just happened and you have to sit around and wait to deal with it because you have a football game to play. Their heads were probably not in the game. Is that an excuse? Maybe, but I think it's a legitimate excuse IMO. Because after that, they almost pulled out a win against a very tough Liberty team and then won five straight. We play those teams again and I think we win. I was on the fire SL train too, but now I don't know. Now the UAB loss and the way it happened was inexcusable, but I do think the guys were still learning Bennett's defense at the time and our QB play was atrocious. We have adjusted and now they are a load to deal with. SL has to get some credit for that. QB play isn't stellar, but last year everyone was saying give us a better defense and a serviceable QB and they would be happy. Aune isn't a world beater, but he is serviceable and the defense is much improved after playing in Bennett's system and now we just knocked off the, #15 AP and #22 Coaches poll team in the country.

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Moobs said:

If we were going to let him go, it would need to have happened already to get the search started. 

 

7 hours ago, denton_days said:

Agreed, although I wouldn’t mind it if UNT was putting some feelers out and checking out some of the big names that are apart of the carousel. 

Wren strikes me as always looking ahead with multiple contingency plans at the ready.   He is not waiting until after a coach leaves (voluntarily or otherwise) to start a search.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

And the fact we still don’t have a QB after 6 years doesn’t bother you in the least?

That is disingenuous. We had a phenomenal quarterback for 4 of the 6 years. The last two we’ve been trying to find a proper replacement and haven’t found the right fit yet. But you have to acknowledge that both of the co-starters from last year were full time starters for the majority of this season at their respective programs.

  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.