Seth Littrell

Cooke County Kid

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

My man, I don’t understand why you are against him like your life depends on it. If you had only been around here for 3 or 4 years it would make sense but I know you’ve been around long enough to see the ups and downs of this program and all the money in the world doesn’t prevent the downs. We are swinging upward right now and swinging hard. If you go back about 5 or 6 weeks, you’ll have seen me trying to push for Art Briles or Colby Carthel because at that point in the season I thought Littrell had lost the team. As the weeks went by I realized that alot of the stupid mistakes I chalked up to a lack of discipline were more a problem of inexperience. Once we beat UTEP I was on board with saving the buyout money and keeping him another year to see what he and Bennett could pull off with next year’s easier schedule. The more games that have clicked off, the more dominant our wins have been.  What you think of as affection for Seth is truly just excitement over the dramatic turnaround and this season and wanting to see what is next. A sure fire way to CRUSH that momentum is to fire the coach that just knocked off one of your ranked and undefeated rivals in demoralizing fashion. I’d have felt the same way if it had been Todd Dodge or Dan McCarney that pulled this kind of turnaround when so much went wrong at the beginning of a season.

So, no, I have no personal connection to Seth Littrell other than wanting to keep you and those like you from f’ing up this positive momentum because you think money somehow changes decades of history and that you can buy wins. Ask Texas fans while they are watching our bowl game if they think Tom Herman would’ve gone 5-7 this year. The grass isn’t always greener. It is easy for you to spend other folks money to get what you want, but what SUBSTANTIAL portion of your wealth are you willing to throw at Littrell’s and Bennett’s buyouts plus the multi-million dollar salary for the next guy and staff on top of it? If you make $50k per year and were willing to put up $25k of that towards getting Littrell out, then I’d believe you were serious. Outside of that, you are trying to play college football DraftKings with someone else’s money with no real consequences for yourself if you are dead wrong. 

Lots to unpack here, and for the sake of letting this big win percolate, I’ll just say it’s been assured money is not a holdup.  Things have changed around here in what we should expect from our coaches over the past 6 years.  We simply cannot throw out the past 2.5 years results, zero-in on the last .5 & say with any kind of certainty that he’s turned the corner & will get us to where the new expectations should have us.  When looking at his entire body of work, I’m skeptical he can.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

I want a new coach, I've been over Seth for 2 years now. BUT, I believe the change to rushing attack was the first adjustment I've seen him make. Defense was significantly improved. I think inadequate QB play really killed us. If Seth is back I'll be on the look out for a significant upgrade at qb via the portal. I would not count on rudder improving,  he's been in camp with unc for muliple years and should have been ready for the step this year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Many people on this thread keep attributing this turnaround to SL. Mainly because he's the one in charge.
By saying this, people are implying that he has somehow inspired the defense to be the second coming of the original Mean Green (see the Randy Galloway article from 1967). I attribute more than 50% of this turnaround to a noticeably aroused defense. A defense that was over aggressive and reckless in the beginning of the season, but now has developed into a unit that operates with a controlled rage.....especially in the way they pursue the QB's and RB's. 

Now, does anyone really think that SL has somehow caused this almost complete (especially compared to the defenses in SL's first five years) personality change? If your answer is no, then lets see......who could possibly be responsible for that? Around the second quarter I was looking at the sideline and I noticed this guy..........Image result for phil bennett college coach

and he was dressed exactly like this photo.  Does this look like someone who might be just a little intense? Kind of like the defense we saw yesterday?

Now, do we give SL credit for talking this street person/defensive coordinator out of retirement (or, based on how he was dressed...off the street) to bring back the glory days of the Mean Green?  I have already suggested that that was probably more Wren Bakers doing than SL"s.

Now I am just speculating here. But since our defense, especially our DL, is being so dominate, could it be possible that their daily practice partners across the line are getting better at blocking because they have to face this bunch of Klingons and try and find a way to 1. keep their QB's safe, and 2. find a pathway for their RB's in Klingon territory? And speaking of the RB's. Is SL personally in charge of their development? I think a certain former NT star RB can be given full credit for this group. 

So, that leaves the development of the QB's and WR's. Who is in charge of that (I mean really in charge)? And who was it that put them in charge of that? Hmmm. 

So does this situation require tweaking? Or firings and wholesale replacements?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 6

7 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

IMO....

Wren was never going to fire SL this year unless the wheels fell completely off.

THEY DIDN'T.

Gods we were close though, weren't we?

If we truly are a QB and WR away from our goals, then give Seth a year. No extensions until he gets a conference champ win and a bowl win

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Many people on this thread keep attributing this turnaround to SL. Mainly because he's the one in charge.
By saying this, people are implying that he has somehow inspired the defense to be the second coming of the original Mean Green (see the Randy Galloway article from 1967). I attribute more than 50% of this turnaround to a noticeably aroused defense. A defense that was over aggressive and reckless in the beginning of the season, but now has developed into a unit that operates with a controlled rage.....especially in the way they pursue the QB's and RB's. 

Now, does anyone really think that SL has somehow caused this almost complete (especially compared to the defenses in SL's first five years) personality change? If your answer is no, then lets see......who could possibly be responsible for that? Around the second quarter I was looking at the sideline and I noticed this guy..........Image result for phil bennett college coach

and he was dressed exactly like this photo.  Does this look like someone who might be just a little intense? Kind of like the defense we saw yesterday?

Now, do we give SL credit for talking this street person/defensive coordinator out of retirement (or, based on how he was dressed...off the street) to bring back the glory days of the Mean Green?  I have already suggested that that was probably more Wren Bakers doing than SL"s.

Now I am just speculating here. But since our defense, especially our DL, is being so dominate, could it be possible that their daily practice partners across the line are getting better at blocking because they have to face this bunch of Klingons and try and find a way to 1. keep their QB's safe, and 2. find a pathway for their RB's in Klingon territory? And speaking of the RB's. Is SL personally in charge of their development? I think a certain former NT star RB can be given full credit for this group. 

So, that leaves the development of the QB's and WR's. Who is in charge of that (I mean really in charge)? And who was it that put them in charge of that? Hmmm. 

So does this situation require tweaking? Or firings and wholesale replacements?

Wow! Sounds like we should fire Seth either way and not have a head coach at all! Would save a ton of money!

Now, I'm just speculating here. But I know that the two don't cross over that much, but could the basketball team's defensive effort over the past few years have been the real inspiration for our defensive turnaround? I mean that's a wren hire too! Maybe we don't even need Phil?

Additionally... Is it just a coincidence that the team went on a win streak after hearing about the move to the AAC? I know you're thinking it, so I'll say it... In 2025 we introduce the AAC as our new football coach!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shaft said:

This thread is full of bad fans trying a pathetic pivot.  

So fans that are not happy with #Hit6 in year 6 of the highest paid coach in the conference are bad fans. I guess if we wen 1-11 you would consider yourself a great fan. Just because your a sheep don't blame others who are actually tired of #OLDDENTON.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So fans that are not happy with #Hit6 in year 6 of the highest paid coach in the conference are bad fans. I guess if we wen 1-11 you would consider yourself a great fan. Just because your a sheep don't blame others who are actually tired of #OLDDENTON.

I believe he just beat the everloving shit out of the highest paid coach in the conference.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Gotta win the bowl game to stay as the HC in my eyes. Another embarrassing showing should get him fired. Beating UTSA and getting to 6-6 was nice but it shouldn’t be job saving for next season and only be job saving for the moment.

My fear is the coaching staff thinks “ok our work here is done. Let’s party.” Our previous bowl appearances suggest it wouldn’t be the first time.

I would love to see their intensity keep up and actually go out and play well in the bowl game. I think a local bowl might help with that. 

Maybe Littrell has truly turned over a new leaf….he’s done a few things late in the season he hasn’t historically done. Glad to see it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My fear is the coaching staff thinks “ok our work here is done. Let’s party.” Our previous bowl appearances suggest it wouldn’t be the first time.

I would love to see their intensity keep up and actually go out and play well in the bowl game. I think a local bowl might help with that. 

Maybe Littrell has truly turned over a new leaf….he’s done a few things late in the season he hasn’t historically done. Glad to see it. 

Thats my worry. I don’t think Bennett will be of that mindset but I can see Littrell doing that like he has before.

A local bowl would be nice but ive seen UNT vs Houston in a local bowl which would be very very bad.

Im not ready to say hes changed 100% yet but his commitment to defense by bringing in Bennett and running the ball this season has been impressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

He does not. i keep seeing people on here report he is under contract until 2023. He is under contract until 2022. 

Littrell’s contract runs through 2023, with a salary that will pay him between $1.3 and $1.8 million a season. He signed a one-year extension in July of 2019, and he is one of the highest paid coaches not in the Power 5.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article247751335.html

Does “through 2023” mean December 2023?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

According to the contract obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle, Littrell’s base salary received a boost from $1.2 million to $1.35 million and another year was added to the contract, extending him through the 2023 season. As for non-base pay, Littrell will be receiving additional bonuses from outside sources like TV and radio, along with a retention bonus.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-Green-football-Seth-Littrell-head-coach-extended-through-2023-increased-salary-bonuses-133426660/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I think Seth was distracted many of those bowl years by thoughts of a higher gig. Seth might just realize now how great this gig really is and he’s not back yet enough to get distracted by hiring AD’s. Look for Seth to be dialed in on this bowl. He’s ready to get that other monkey off his back. Depends who we draw but I don’t discount motivation this year. This isn’t the New Mexico Bowl year setup. 
GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lots to unpack here, and for the sake of letting this big win percolate, I’ll just say it’s been assured money is not a holdup.  Things have changed around here in what we should expect from our coaches over the past 6 years.  We simply cannot throw out the past 2.5 years results, zero-in on the last .5 & say with any kind of certainty that he’s turned the corner & will get us to where the new expectations should have us.  When looking at his entire body of work, I’m skeptical he can.

I started to write how spot on this was and decided to present an award instead.  It's all there.

I don't have the pull to present a real award, but if more than five people can seriously point to one game as the sole factor for..... Anyway, then I'm giving awards lol.... If we were still undergrads it would be a shot but, we old now..... So.....

The MMI Consortium* of the No BS Football Fans Foundation for A Better North Texas

Is proud to recognize

"MeanGreenTexan"

For the post on Sunday, November 28th at about 11 hours before this post

as the First Recipient of the

2021 First Best Post of the Post-Season Award

926552209_ScreenShot2021-11-28at7_08_01PM.png.abed4340e04cc1e09807221c1124fa23.png

*The MMI Consortium is made up of Me, Myself, and I

(Having fun with it, wanted to just write "FACTS" but had an extra minute or two to throw this together
but I really do think that post says it all!!!)

Also, to whomever controls the reactions like the up vote, down vote, laughing face, puking eagle, RV, etc....

Can we get one for "FACTS" or "#FACTS" to highlight objective posts, posts that are independent of opinion and emotion, heavy on facts-to-be-considered? 

It would be easier to catch up on a thread with points that have already been made if you haven't been on in a few days.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I started to write how spot on this was and decided to present an award instead.  It's all there.

I don't have the pull to present a real award, but if more than five people can seriously point to one game as the sole factor for..... Anyway, then I'm giving awards lol.... If we were still undergrads it would be a shot but, we old now..... So.....

The MMI Consortium* of the No BS Football Fans Foundation for A Better North Texas

Is proud to recognize

"MeanGreenTexan"

For the post on Sunday, November 28th at about 11 hours before this post

as the First Recipient of the

2021 First Best Post of the Post-Season Award

926552209_ScreenShot2021-11-28at7_08_01PM.png.abed4340e04cc1e09807221c1124fa23.png

*The MMI Consortium is made up of Me, Myself, and I

(Having fun with it, wanted to just write "FACTS" but had an extra minute or two to throw this together
but I really do think that post says it all!!!)

Also, to whomever controls the reactions like the up vote, down vote, laughing face, puking eagle, RV, etc....

Can we get one for "FACTS" or "#FACTS" to highlight objective posts, posts that are independent of opinion and emotion, heavy on facts-to-be-considered? 

It would be easier to catch up on a thread with points that have already been made if you haven't been on in a few days.

Thank you.

First, I would like to thank my Savior, Jesus Christ, for the blessing of such an objective posting ability.  🙏 

Next, I’d like to thank @Pseudo Nym & the MMI Consortium for this award and their belief in my hot take.  I’m truly honored.

Lastly, I’d like to thank @Harry for providing such a fantastic place for NT fans to post their thoughts.

Go Mean Green!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thank you.

First, I would like to thank my Savior, Jesus Christ, for the blessing of such an objective posting ability.  🙏 

Next, I’d like to thank @Pseudo Nym & the MMI Consortium for this award and their belief in my hot take.  I’m truly honored.

Lastly, I’d like to thank @Harry for providing such a fantastic place for NT fans to post their thoughts.

Go Mean Green!

Wait, you didn't thank your mom!

• Haha 1