Seth Littrell

Cooke County Kid

In a thread about skip Holtz leaving Louisiana Tech I made a joke suggesting I want them here ASAP.   I knew coming off of this emotional win against an Undefeated UTSA.  Hopefully were Wren Baker is far more levelheaded and we are right now.   Seth is still a 0.500 head coach.  He has yet to replace Mason Fine with a quarterback at least 75% as good as he was.  He has had four years to do that.  That is inexcusable for a head coach head hired primarily because he was good at coordinating an offense that throws the ball efficiently.  Talks about extending him are utterly ridiculous in my mind.  Do you want to get to a level where you can draw 25,000 people in the rain?  Well keeping a career 0.500 coach going into season 7, 8 Or 9 is not the way to do it.   There is literally no reason that we couldn’t have been playing UTSA for a chance to win the west today.

I love my program and my school.  I will show up with most alumni don’t but unless you are the Dallas Cowboys, UT Longhorns or Texas A&M Aggies In this state you have to win to get butts in seats.   What Seth has done so far is just enough to keep diehards coming to games.  There aren’t enough of us to keep this program financially competitive in the AAC.   If we are having discussions about extending him not to be a lame duck coach in 2022 I’m not sure what we’re doing.  Are there some 4-star four-star prospects that have verbally committed to the Mean Green that I am not aware of?  

The long and short of it is he is a career 0.500 coach going into year 7.   Expecting him to be better than that in 2022 just doesn’t make sense.   Do we really want to buy out Seth or extend Seth  after going 8-5 without a division championship in 2022?   That would have him just over 0.500 for his head coaching career, assuming he loses this upcoming bowl game.

Great game today but he is still third best coach in this division.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Just let the man enjoy the fact he got the team 5 straight wins to get us to a bowl. Team could’ve easily quit and they didn’t. I don’t think he’s a great coach, but I recognize the fact that he deserves praise for this.

No I can’t do that I’m afraid.  I need to Look at the entire body of work.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I see the blinders are on several of y’all.

Unable to see the entire body of work & drunk on this win.    Let’s get through the Bowl game before talking about bringing Littrell back.

We all have blinders on in our own way, you included.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

No I can’t do that I’m afraid.  I need to Look at the entire body of work.

It's not possible to do both? Personally, I'm frustrated about how SL's career has transpired, but I'm also enjoying this current momentum.  SL is doing everything he needs to do to stay here one more year.  If he blows out a bowl opponent, I would be fully on board with him in 2022.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's not possible to do both? Personally, I'm frustrated about how SL's career has transpired, but I'm also enjoying this current momentum.  SL is doing everything he needs to do to stay here one more year.  If he blows out a bowl opponent, I would be fully on board with him in 2022.

As one of the biggest "Littrell Out" guys on this board, I will reserve judgment until the bowl game. I see both sides. Littrell has shown some momentum and got the biggest win of his career. On the flip side, his entire body of work has shown this is the exception and not the norm. Let's see what he has up his sleeve for the bowl game. I'll table coach talk until then.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We all have blinders on in our own way, you included.

I really don’t understand why you defend Littrell like your life depends on it.  Are you his butler, or is your wife his nanny or something?  No one defends him harder than you around here.

My man, there are no blinders here.   I’m looking at the aerial view over 6 years…. Like I said, let’s wait until the Bowl Game result before we declare he should return.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, TheFranchise said:

Man, I agree. I don’t think anyone in here is overlooking our horrible start to the season. But Coach Littrell took this team at a VERY low point and turned them around. He did what most of you that wanted him gone five weeks ago gave him no shot at pulling off. 

Not to mention, it’s what now stands as a win over the highest-ranked opponent in school history, and on top of that it came against a team we all love to hate. 

I’m not saying he deserves an extension but he’s certainly earned the right to coach one more season from me. 

Let’s looks at his profile as a whole and not just this season.

he has had more resources than any other coach before him at UNT. Has done horrible against teams with a winning record. Zero conference championship ( even with one of the best QB’s in UNT history) zero bowl wins. 

Seth has reached his pinnacle at UNT. He has done an okay but he cannot take us to the next level. 

time for him to go. 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1

2 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

After standing for 3.5 hours in a cold steady rain to watch one of the Top 3 UNT victories that I've ever seen in-person, I was excited to get home and read happy, positive messages on this site for once.  Whoops, guess I was asking too much apparently.  2nd victory EVER against a ranked team but still some people aren't  happy.  Lordie... 

If the title of this thread wasn’t “Seth Litteral” bragging  on a 37-37 head coach for digging out of a hole he created,  then I would be with you.  That was a 2/3’s empty stadium to watch this undefeated team go down.  That is not the standard for any program.  Brag on that offensive line, running backs and that vastly improved defense.   Let’s have a thread with one those key contributors as the title.  This was an absolutely great and thoroughly enjoyable win and I was there for it in the rain.  I loved it but in a 6 year tenure I want more than that and those empty seats should tell you this ain’t good enough.  And to his credit Seth would tell you that ain’t the standard here either.  There is no trophy in the trophy case with “We beat UTSA when they had that great season” inscribed on it.   Seth has just done enough not to be fired mid season and some act like he deserves a parade. 🙄

Remind me how long UTSA has been playing football,  better yet remind me how long their head coaches been coaching them.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

If the title of this thread wasn’t “Seth Litteral” bragging  on a 37-37 head coach for digging out of a hole he created,  then I would be with you.  That was a 2/3’s empty stadium to watch this undefeated team go down.  That is not the standard for any program.  Brag on that offensive line, running backs and that vastly improved defense.   Let’s have a thread with one those key contributors as the title.  

Episode 4 Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, casual fan said:

PERSPECTIVE. Do you think a new coach will automatically mean utopia?  This is a young team that has found itself.  Let them have a chance. The next 2 years could be very special. 

Or you could change coaches, have players transfer out, and start the rebuilding process all over again.

You can do both.

none of that has anything to do with how bad the coaching was here previously. 

I just can’t view Littrell through the lens of “man we used to be really bad”

If I think of it like a real job: “Hey don’t fire me. I’m bringing in $1 million in revenue and the last 2 guys only brought in $300,000.”

“well yeah but our company needs you to bring in $10 million in revenue. What the last guys did doesn’t really matter”

I’m not trying to poopoo today. He gets LOADS of credit. And the team didn’t quit on him. That says a lot. 

the question I have is…..sometimes, first time coaches struggle in their first job  then they get fired, then they start to figure things out and a school down the line hires him and starts winning with them. 2 of Littrell’s last 3 wins have been against FBs teams with winning records. Is He bucking a trend? Is he learning? Has he turned a corner? Are the last two highly rated recruiting classes starting to pay dividends? Do we get to get the upside of his growing pains maybe next year? That’s for Wren to decide….but he has a lot to think about  

I’ve been on the move on train but I don’t see how you get rid of him at this point. The risk/reward ratio has changed. Even if he loses the bowl game, it’s too late to hire someone then. So I get it if Baker brings him back next year but an extension has to absolutely be out of the question 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7

On 11/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really don’t understand why you defend Littrell like your life depends on it.  Are you his butler, or is your wife his nanny or something?  No one defends him harder than you around here.

My man, there are no blinders here.   I’m looking at the aerial view over 6 years…. Like I said, let’s wait until the Bowl Game result before we declare he should return.

My man, I don’t understand why you are against him like your life depends on it. If you had only been around here for 3 or 4 years it would make sense but I know you’ve been around long enough to see the ups and downs of this program and all the money in the world doesn’t prevent the downs. We are swinging upward right now and swinging hard. If you go back about 5 or 6 weeks, you’ll have seen me trying to push for Art Briles or Colby Carthel because at that point in the season I thought Littrell had lost the team. As the weeks went by I realized that a lot of the stupid mistakes I chalked up to a lack of discipline were more a problem of inexperience. Once we beat UTEP I was on board with saving the buyout money and keeping him another year to see what he and Bennett could pull off with next year’s easier schedule. The more games that have clicked off, the more dominant our wins have been.  What you think of as affection for Seth is truly just excitement over the dramatic turnaround and this season and wanting to see what is next. A sure fire way to CRUSH that momentum is to fire the coach that just knocked off one of your ranked and undefeated rivals in demoralizing fashion. I’d have felt the same way if it had been Todd Dodge or Dan McCarney that pulled this kind of turnaround when so much went wrong at the beginning of a season.

So, no, I have no personal connection to Seth Littrell other than wanting to keep you and those like you from f’ing up this positive momentum because you think money somehow changes decades of history and that you can buy wins. Ask Texas fans while they are watching our bowl game if they think Tom Herman would’ve gone 5-7 this year. The grass isn’t always greener. It is easy for you to spend other folks money to get what you want, but what SUBSTANTIAL portion of your wealth are you willing to throw at Littrell’s and Bennett’s buyouts plus the multi-million dollar salary for the next guy and staff on top of it? If you make $50k per year and were willing to put up $25k of that towards getting Littrell out, then I’d believe you were serious. Outside of that, you are trying to play college football DraftKings with someone else’s money with no real consequences for yourself if you are dead wrong. 

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3