Austin Aune Senior

GMG1996

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Said on the post-game radio show that he plans to be back for next year.

He has no real reason to risk injury, but his first score next season will make him the oldest player to ever score in FBS football. I think that's enough of an incentive even if he spends most of his time coaching and carrying a clipboard. He's a hell of a team player and I can't see him passing up these opportunities. He has the rest of his life for old people stuff.

Thanks @ADLER I missed the postgame show walking through the monsoon. Good news whether he plays or not because he is a leader even when on the sidelines.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do you think that?

Understandable if he does, but also could see him wanting to be part of next year.  

They basically said as much during the broadcast.  He and his wife are about to  have a daughter.  Aune said he might stay if he gets lined up with some NIL deals.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Players and coaches rarely admit to the media that they are leaving a program ahead of schedule.

I'll believe Aune returns when I see it.

He doesn't need football, he's only in it for fun. He's married. he's graduated, he's financially set from six years with the Yankees, and he'll be a Daddy. He'll also be a national story when he scores next year as the oldest player to score in FBS.

Quite simply, his story would be the stuff of legends.

He'd be crazy to pass up that opportunity. He could, but he hasn't shown a lot of quit to this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, ADLER said:

He doesn't need football, he's only in it for fun. He's married. he's graduated, he's financially set from six years with the Yankees, and he'll be a Daddy. He'll also be a national story when he scores next year as the oldest player to score in FBS.

Quite simply, his story would be the stuff of legends.

He'd be crazy to pass up that opportunity. He could, but he hasn't shown a lot of quit to this point.

We'll see.  I can see the other side to these exact same points:

Being a student-athlete is freakin hard.  You still have to enroll and shoot for classroom grades.  Get to the gym. Watch film, game prep.  He's got a family to think about.  His financial future isn't really improved with one more year of school.

I could understand if he really wanted to milk all the attention about his age, but I don't think he'd be crazy to hang it up. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He said that he had not made up his mind and would think about it after football season. He also joked about maybe he could get a NIL deal with Pampers. End of the day he's going to have to think about  and do what's best for his family and his new child and whichever direction he goes I wish him the best

Yeah.  This is what I heard.   I dunno what Adler was listening to.   Thought his NIL deal with Pampers was funny, but kinda took it to mean he was leaning towards not coming back so he could enter the workforce & actually make money.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah.  This is what I heard.   I dunno what Adler was listening to.   Thought his NIL deal with Pampers was funny, but kinda took it to mean he was leaning towards not coming back so he could enter the workforce & actually make money.

Having a kid can change your priorities

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, I think that Adler guy would just like to see Aune come back next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1