Jump to content

North Texas - UTSA Official Game Thread


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

we used the SMU counters then. No way we had 16,000 in apogee today. 

We never get any kind of decent attendance on the Saturday after Thanksgiving even if the weather is perfect. And we usually do overstate the attendance just as bad as SMU does, especially on these weekends.

Im not sure why any G5 school plays on a Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving anyway. Build the season to the point where these games don’t get scheduled at all. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For everybody that's down on how bad it is to be 6-6, perhaps you'd rather have the record of that 1974 team that had the only other victory against a ranked opponent. 

Also, while I felt like nUTSAck was highly overrated at #15, at least they have been ranked for a few weeks.  It looks like SDState was only at #20 for the lone week that we beat them.

1974-full.jpg

sdstate.jpg

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lack of students attending the game was very apparent from the west side of the stands.   It was thanksgiving break and most were home for the holidays.   To bad more people did not see the game we looked good out there but it was wet and cold.  I stayed to the end because the team played hard and I thought they deserved the support.   Good job by the team and I don't recall ever seeing a kicker recover a fumble on a kickoff that far down the field. 

My wife looked at me when I came in looking like a drowned rat and thought I was crazy.

Next year if Phil Bennett wants to wear a gold and black bikini on the sidelines I am ok with that.   Just win baby!

I think SL saved his ass for another season yesterday.

One negative think to say is next time we have a expected rain game, go over to the university bookstore and bring back all the rain ponchos to the stadium.  They were sold out of ponchos and blankets.  Or maybe I should plan better?

Great job by the players, coach and band yesterday........I think UTSA brought a band but I didn't hear them.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The lack of students attending the game was very apparent from the west side of the stands.   It was thanksgiving break and most were home for the holidays.   To bad more people did not see the game we looked good out there but it was wet and cold.  I stayed to the end because the team played hard and I thought they deserved the support.   Good job by the team and I don't recall ever seeing a kicker recover a fumble on a kickoff that far down the field. 

My wife looked at me when I came in looking like a drowned rat and thought I was crazy.

Next year if Phil Bennett wants to wear a gold and black bikini on the sidelines I am ok with that.   Just win baby!

I think SL saved his ass for another season yesterday.

One negative think to say is next time we have a expected rain game, go over to the university bookstore and bring back all the rain ponchos to the stadium.  They were sold out of ponchos and blankets.  Or maybe I should plan better?

Great job by the players, coach and band yesterday........I think UTSA brought a band but I didn't hear them.

Regarding the kicker recovering the fumble far down the field, I seem to recall Toby Gowin doing that very feat many years ago. It was awesome both times. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

I have never heard Traylor speak before. How many times does he mention the weather? I was expecting someone far more impressive. Is there really a P5 out there that wants to hire this guy?    

Man I’m with you. I’m not especially impressed with him. Isn’t his team loaded with upperclassmen he didn’t recruit? He won with them. Credit due but I still can’t believe they committed the years and money after 1 COVID year and winning against a weak schedule half way through year 2 with someone else’s talent. He basically did what his contract required of him. But they made the fatal flaw we see over and over again from small programs. They let outside pressure make them overpay.

And this is where I hope the difference in the two programs comes to the surface. They won THIS YEAR in spite of their $$ situation. Facilities etc. We’ve seen that happen here for years. (Because you know we’ve actually been around since before the Obama administration)

UTSA fans, pull up a chair so I can teach you something important: Winning without the infrastructure in place is really difficult to sustain. Write that down.
 

So they did with Traylor what we shouldn’t have to ever do with a coach again: Say “holy crap, we don’t have anything else to offer the next coach so we have to go all in on an unproven one because we don’t have a foundation that will have coaches lined up to come here” I’ve seen articles about how attractive the UNT job is, can’t say I have ever seen the UTSA job described as attractive. Because it’s not  

We should never do that again. They have to. That is the big difference between the programs. What are they going to do if they go 5-7 next year? Very possible. They’re stuck with that coach for a long time. They could very easily be saying “how can we afford a buy out” in their first year in the AAC.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

UTSA fans, pull up a chair so I can teach you something important: Winning without the infrastructure in place is really difficult to sustain. Write that down.

Winning at the G5 level is hard to sustain at all.

I don't know if he will continue winning but, if he does, I imagine a fish three times the size of TTech will come calling very soon.

Your post also reminded me of the Coker situation at Miami.  Maybe it's similar, maybe it's not, but I think a lot about how much he benefited from Butch Davis's recruits in his first year as Hurricane HC.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Winning at the G5 level is hard to sustain at all.

I don't know if he will continue winning but, if he does, I imagine a fish three times the size of TTech will come calling very soon.

Your post also reminded me of the Coker situation at Miami.  Maybe it's similar, maybe it's not, but I think a lot about how much he benefited from Butch Davis's recruits in his first year as Hurricane HC.

Gonna be curious to see how the championship game goes next week. WKU is rolling and that offense is on fire 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

.I think UTSA brought a band but I didn't hear them.

You might be being sarcastic here but if you aren’t, they were definitely there. Those classless asshats tried to drowned out our band nearly every time we scored and played the fight song.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You might be being sarcastic here but if you aren’t, they were definitely there. Those classless asshats tried to drowned out our band nearly every time we scored and played the fight song.

I only heard them once, but they had so few members maybe they just weren’t loud enough to hear across the stadium.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I only heard them once, but they had so few members maybe they just weren’t loud enough to hear across the stadium.  

I was directly in front of them on the home side so they were playing across the field pointed directly at me. I assume you were somewhere else in the stadium from me because it was hard not to notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I was directly in front of them on the home side so they were playing across the field pointed directly at me. I assume you were somewhere else in the stadium from me because it was hard not to notice.

I was pretty much across from them too, but maybe (and most likely) I’m just unobservant. Haha.  
 

My post didn’t come across as intended anyway.  I was really just ragging on their band for not being very loud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

“I’m so mad and angry right now I don’t feel anything but pain and frustration.”

Seth needs to be more like the top coaches! Look at all the energy/excitement that Traylor has for these interviews! Press conferences are how you win games!

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

“I’m so mad and angry right now I don’t feel anything but pain and frustration.”

He does not impress me and in fact, reminds me a lot of this guy. giphy+(2).gif

I have a feeling that despite a fantastic start to this season, UTSA f’d themselves hard for the next decade.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, greensleeves said:

Are we supposed to root for UTSA in the conference championship or their bowl game? Because I loathe them and that would be difficult to do. 

Anytime UTSA does well it can have a negative impact on our recruiting.  Feel comfortable and confident in your urge to root against them.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.