North Texas - UTSA Official Game Thread

Professor Lambeau

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

And NOTHING.  You're trying to make this a discussion about extending SL's contract.  I didn't get that vibe from his post.  Just rooting for a coach that many of us want to do well.

And, yes, we are what we are.  A 6-6 team on a 5 game winning streak.  If we get a blowout bowl win, I am absolutely on board with SL in 2022.  In 2022 we evaluate and make a contract decision then.

With his history in Bowl games, that’s an “if”the size of Apogee. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I’m gonna need people to give Seth some props for this. Rattling off 5 straight after starting 1-6 doesn’t happen unless you have something going right from the top down. I love how the team refused to quit on the season. WE BOWLING. 

Agree. Very impressed. There has been a lot done this year to move this program forward. The thin win years suck, and they are always unacceptable. This type of pride in the work and respect for the game is what we want here until the very end of the season or their employment. Whatever the decisions are to be made in the off season, this staff has my respect for working all the way and never giving up.

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

UTSAhad a super easy schedule. UNT gave away the early part of the schedule by giving the transfer QB a shot. We could have been undefeated going in to this game if we had left Aune in at QB and focused on running game all year. 

Should have put backups in earlier today to get them experience. This is a good example of why AAC should have just stuck with inviting 1 or maybe 2 Texas schools.  UTSA was a reach that the AAC will regret for years to come.  Oh well.

Man, this is just all kinds of wrong…

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Tap the brakes sir.  You can’t just throw out the early games like that.  They are essentially have all the same key players in place that they did when they played SMU.  Neither QB was ready and Aune while better now is just a competent bus driver for the most part.  I am thoroughly enjoying this game even in this weather but let’s not miss the big picture.  The only thing SL has earned is benefit of a doubt to finish his contract.  And if you had a head coach you are crazy about waiting in the wings to take the job you still probably consider getting rid of Seth after a bad Bowl game appearance.   And the main reason you would hesitate is the buyout. 

6-7 Nor 7-6 is the standard here

Doesn’t diminish how much I am loving this game at all.

GO Mean Green! 

I think you misunderstand me. As long as littrell wins here I am his biggest fan. If he’s gone in the off season because there’s some we really want, he’s my new favorite coach as long as he wins here.

This is the same team, and they would win those early games now, I think, because they have found something

Edited by MeanMag
Edit
  • Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

UTSAhad a super easy schedule. UNT gave away the early part of the schedule by giving the transfer QB a shot. We could have been undefeated going in to this game if we had left Aune in at QB and focused on running game all year. 

Should have put backups in earlier today to get them experience. This is a good example of why AAC should have just stuck with inviting 1 or maybe 2 Texas schools.  UTSA was a reach that the AAC will regret for years to come.  Oh well.

How many shots have you had since the game ended? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

An improvement by the numbers but unless those 8 wins include a conference championship and a bowl game win we're just another kinda okay G5 team paying their coach an astronomical amount.

By our current allowance 7 wins is perfectly acceptable for 2022, 8 wins is perfectly acceptable for 2023, and on and on. #NewOldDenton

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 minute ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

An improvement by the numbers but unless those 8 wins include a conference championship and a bowl game win we're just another kinda okay G5 team paying their coach an astronomical amount.

By our current allowance 7 wins is perfectly acceptable for 2022, 8 wins is perfectly acceptable for 2023, and on and on. #NewOldDenton

Undefeated in 2027!  Wahooo!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Yep, just get into any bowl and we’re all happy. 6-6 is exactly where we want to be 5 years into the SL era! Screw the abysmal start. Extend Seth today!!! 

• Downvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 2

The optics of this win, phew.

I don't think this is our biggest upset win the last 20 years, but the significance of this T25 victory can't be overstated.  Outside of the upper echelon of the top P5 programs, most of college football viewership is dictated by who is in the T25.  That's what ESPN scoreboards look at first.  Highlight reels across the country give first dibs to T25 plays and scores.

Think of some of the biggest wins since the Dickey years.  Think how awesome the Baylor 2003 win felt, but they were awful! That joy ride was more about Mean Green getting a B12 win.  I can't think of anyone in my circles that gave 0.02 to that game.  Was Cinci ranked when we beat them in New Orleans?

Even though the quality of UTSA's team might be in question, the optics of this T25 win are tremendous..  Maybe I'm overstating it? Maybe GreenMiner has had too many Shiner Bocks? I don't know.  But this sure is fun.

• Upvote 4