Rhett Lashlee to become next SMU Head Coach

TheReal_jayD

I agree with the sentiment of just letting Sonny walk now.  There are no goal left for this SMU team other than winning this weekend and winning the bowl game.  And nothing changes for them if they lose tomorrow.   Let the new guy get a head start and see the current assistants in action.  That is best retention interview they could have.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Underwhelming, perhaps, but probably good enough to kick our tail again in 2022.

Well, the Lashlee led 2018 offense at SMU was able to garner several first downs against North Texas, all in the fourth quarter and when already losing by 34, but they did get a few first downs.

• Upvote 3

On 11/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, greenjoe said:

I would have thought they would hire a guy with previous head coach experience.  

Me too.  I think this is a bit of a reaction to the dirty way Dykes is leaving, needing someone in place fast, and getting a familiar face that already knows the players, designed the offense, etc.  Looking to maintain trajectory not hit the reset button.

But he is way over due for a HC role, comes with big program experience having been OC at Auburn, and very well plugged into coaching circles. He'll have a very large war chest for assistants.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not discounting Dykes importance, but if as indicated, Samples goes with him that could be an even bigger impact on SMU's recruiting.

I think Samples was his recruiting secret sauce. I have some UT friends that are still upset he’s not in Austin anymore and he was a huge loss. He recruits Dallas very well. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

I think Samples was his recruiting secret sauce. I have some UT friends that are still upset he’s not in Austin anymore and he was a huge loss. He recruits Dallas very well. 

Just peruse the recent decommits on the "Hilltop" and you will see the results of this move.