LA Tech fires Skip Holtz

brooks91

13 minutes ago, Marty said:

64-49 at La Tech in 9 seasons. How can we keep SL?

Because we aren’t LaTech and we shouldn’t base our personnel decisions on LaTech. They are having their worst season since 2013, and if they lose to Rice, their worst season since 2006.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 3

https://thespun.com/college-football/cfb-world-reacts-to-surprising-skip-holtz-news/amp

Skip Holtz led Louisiana Tech to seven straight bowl-game appearances prior to this season. The Bulldogs were 6-1 in those games.

Holtz also had opportunities to jump to bigger and better college football programs over the years. He turned down those opportunities to stay put at Louisiana Tech.

Do the Bulldogs really believe they’ll do better than Holtz? We’re skeptical.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

If Holtz had been just a tiny bit better than he was he would have been hired away long ago. He'll land on his feet. La Tech as a program, less sure.

If Tech thinks they can do better than Holtz, then they better be sure that they can find more money amid being relegated in conference realignment. His production compared to his pay was pretty phenomenal and about as good as you can hope given the investment. They want better, they need to invest more.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

And he is 6-0 in bowl games with La Tech.   I don't think this is just about Holtz record this year.   He may have wanted out also.

FWIW, a few weeks ago many here talked about trying to hire Holtz away from La Tech.

I read earlier that this was a mutual agreement.

Holtz worked his butt off for their program.  Did they ever return the favor and get him more money/resources?

I can't escape this idea that after being left out of the AAC invites, there is this sense that Holtz is defeated, having done all he can do in Ruston, shades of Fry leaving Denton, and he feels now is a good time for both sides to get a fresh start heading into the new alignments.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I read earlier that this was a mutual agreement.

Holtz worked his butt off for their program.  Did they ever return the favor and get him more money/resources?

I can't escape this idea that after being left out of the AAC invites, there is this sense that Holtz is defeated, having done all he can do in Ruston, shades of Fry leaving Denton, and he feels now is a good time for both sides to get a fresh start heading into the new alignments.

Yep. CUSA is going nowhere. School admins are putting no effort to grow their athletic programs. 
He wants out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, akriesman said:

And he is 6-0 in bowl games with La Tech.   I don't think this is just about Holtz record this year.   He may have wanted out also.

FWIW, a few weeks ago many here talked about trying to hire Holtz away from La Tech.

What is his record against North Texas?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

That's just dumb. Holts is a far better coach than Seth. I applaud the LA Tech for actually having standards. I think Seth has only beaten Holts' LT team once in six years. By the way, I believe Holts has a $3 million buyout too, but that isn't an issue for their broke program. Don't be "Old Denton". Our entire fan base should expect more. Wren has to fire Littrell after this season ends. Time to build for the future.

This move has been resoundingly criticized by sports media today. This is less about LaTech and more about Skip likely being pissed they are stuck in CUSA.

“This is the right time for me to evaluate a new start in my career," Holtz said. "I've had the privilege of mentoring young people and building football programs for more than 30 years, including the last nine as head coach of Louisiana Tech. The past two seasons have brought additional challenges to our program, and I simply think it is time for someone else to have the chance to lead this special group of young men."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/louisiana-tech-fires-skip-holtz-bulldogs-opt-for-coaching-change-after-nine-years-amid-3-8-season/amp/

If it was truly LaTech thinking they are better than Skip, then there are delusions of grandeur in Ruston.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Clever"

Udomann was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The past two seasons have brought additional challenges to our program, and I simply think it is time for someone else to have the chance to lead this special group of young men."

"He said, as he tossed up the double birds and backed slowly out of the entry way with a bag of money, a slight twinkle in his eyes, and an unreadable '..florida...' Jersey tucked under each arm."

Edited by Udomann
  • Haha 2