How we beat UTSA

WanderingEagle

Football cliche here: get some pressure on their QB.  Duh.  Immediate follow-up: what has Harris faced this year? Has his protection been solid, or has he been successful while still running for his life a la Bret Favre?

Can we get 3+ sacks? Will we convert multiple 3rd downs into long, sustaining offensive drives?

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We can be effective running the ball, but I do believe Aune will need to be a step above last week's performance, though not required to be a prime Mason Fine.

I came into this season thinking all we need is a game manager, and I stand by that. 

Don't turn the ball over!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

One thing I noted looking at the UAB no score, it seemed the Blazers shut down the run and dared Harris to beat them- which I suppose he did. 
Their star RB only had 65 yards on 3.3 a carry. Harris tossed 3TDs on had 323 yards with almost 70 completion percentage.

I think we likely employ a similar strategy but our defensive backfield is our weakness. The twins and Novil will have to get quick pressure on Harris to disrupt the passing game. This worries me on two fronts (in addition to the weak DBs): 1) aggressive twins and blitzing LBs can easily lose containment on the QB; and 2) same aggressive play could be used against us with delayed handoffs to the RB resulting in open running lanes up the middle. Plus they have only given up 13 sacks for the season. 
Thoughts on how we should defend the dirtybirds? 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3

Win at the line, no stupid penalties, zero turnovers, don’t give them a short field and kick their ass. 

First play?  Play action, slant to Burns or Ward for a big gain. We have to keep them off balance, rely on the run but don’t be predictable, throw in a few gadget plays and kick their ass. 

• Upvote 1

Aúne has to hit some big plays to try and keep the defense off balance.  No threat of a passing game will make the offense too predictable. 

I don’t think they run all over us. They do have big receivers that can go up and get it. Gaddie has been able to hold his own. Whether it’s Davis or Texada, they’re going to need a big day.  The d line need to be our stars in the run and passing game. 

I don’t want to see a slow first quarter.      0-0 first quarter is okay. Getting down 14-0 is game over. GMG!