Will the FBS Presidents have the courage to reign in the Transfer Portal Problems?

El Paso Eagle

Let's start with this premise - I am not talking about eliminating the portal or one-time transfer

The problem is the contacting and recruiting players who have not entered the portal. Did these idiots think that there would not be wide spread abuse of this system by schools and 3rd parts contacts? Seems no one had the insight to actually try and put in rules that could be useful. Seems that while a school cannot directly contact a player at another school before they enter the portal, there is nothing that restricts a 3rd party from basically acting as a go between. So while I know the NCAA does has not the ability to do much anymore, I get tried of these presidents talking about values and ethic when all they care about is the money their schools can make.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Of course they knew it would happen. At the end of the day, the portal is about opportunities for the players to do what's best for them. It's not about the schools. For that reason, I'm not even mad about it. As long as coaches, athletic administrators, etc. can come and go when and how they want, I am for the players having the same kind of options. If you don't want a player to transfer out, you've got to make sure you do what you can to make sure the players don't want to leave your program.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, DentonLurker said:

Of course they knew it would happen. At the end of the day, the portal is about opportunities for the players to do what's best for them. It's not about the schools. For that reason, I'm not even mad about it. As long as coaches, athletic administrators, etc. can come and go when and how they want, I am for the players having the same kind of options. If you don't want a player to transfer out, you've got to make sure you do what you can to make sure the players don't want to leave your program.

So you are OK with a player being contacted before they enter the portal?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the toothpaste is already out of the tube and it is what it is at this point. What I would like to see if for them to call it what it really is, NFL minor league football free agency. I want them to accept that is where we are now with NIL and the portal and for them to compensate accordingly. If you pickup a G5’s star quarterback, then you give up one of your 25 yearly signings to the G5 team so they can sign one extra plus $50k in cash or you give up a bench player acceptable to the G5 who is willing to attend that G5 plus $10k. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

What are they being offered that the existing school doesn't have? Exposure, playing time and now $$$. Sound like the business economy. Go for it.

So run it like a business? So if a player is not performing 3 to 4 games in your ok "firing" them and pulling their scholarships immediately? Out of school immediately unless they can pay their own way? Of course not. There has to be some responsibilities on both sides. They want to leave, fine, but have rules in place for all parties to follow. They also need to change the rules to where every scholarship you lose to some who voluntarily leaves the program is replaceable as long as you stay under the 85 limit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you are OK with a player being contacted before they enter the portal?

I think it’s one of those things that just won’t ever really be enforceable no matter what rules you put around it. The NCAA is the mess it is because there are already a lot of rules that are hard to enforce. I guess I’ve just accepted that things like that are just going to be part of the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, DentonLurker said:

I think it’s one of those things that just won’t ever really be enforceable no matter what rules you put around it. The NCAA is the mess it is because there are already a lot of rules that are hard to enforce. I guess I’ve just accepted that things like that are just going to be part of the game.

But at least put rules in place to deter it. Right now there is not even an attempt to hide it. My worry is as bad as it is now it's only going to get worse as more people figure out how to manulipate it and boosters get more involved in NIL

• Upvote 2

The portal is working exactly like the big schools intended.  Schools like NT are merely farm teams. In the old days, they would hide a kid in JUCO until they were ready for him.  Now he plays in a P5 league until they are ready.

It will not change because, according to them,  it is working perfectly. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So run it like a business? So if a player is not performing 3 to 4 games in your ok "firing" them and pulling their scholarships immediately? Out of school immediately unless they can pay their own way? Of course not. There has to be some responsibilities on both sides. They want to leave, fine, but have rules in place for all parties to follow. They also need to change the rules to where every scholarship you lose to some who voluntarily leaves the program is replaceable as long as you stay under the 85 limit. 

For as long as I am aware, the players are always on a one year "contract" with the university, and the coach can always "fire" a player after the season. Pretty much every aspect of college football is considered a business already

• Upvote 2

The current rules are a reflection of what the courts are doing.

The NCAA knows that the courts are going to rule in favor of the individual over the schools.  Competition be damned.

NIL and transfer rules both heavily favor the individual.  

Look for a push from the bigs to increase scholarships and openly pay players.  No matter that only a minimum of schools actually make money on football. 

The most likely result is that about thirty schools will evolve into an even more pro league.  This will look good for those teams' fans, but they will realize quickly that overall fan interest will substantially decline.  

If you want to watch football, turn to the NFL were the rules are actually slanted to making games more competitive. 

I won't live to see it, but in a few years all athletes will be paid employees of the university they play for with a salary and benefits just like everyone else who works there. Who knows. Maybe the cheer team, dance team,band, mascot , and anyone else associated with athletics may get a paycheck as well. This is when the rubber is really going to hit the road when it comes to defining  who can afford to pay and play, and who is going to fold .