Should the new HC and QB be a package deal?

meangreen11

Looking at this squad you have to think we are just a half-way decent QB away from being a pretty salty bunch.  I would look at a coach that can bring a transfer or portal QB with him.  Or in the very least has a track record of identifying and developing QB's.   I would want someone who could talk a Hudson Card or Casey Thompson into coming here as both are surely being show the exit at TU.  If you think about it that was what got Sonny to the level of success he achieved, his ability to identify and land QB's from the portal.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Transfer portal has introduced package deals. Look at WKU with the OC. With players compensated $$$ this is going to happen. Hiring a coach that also will be given a budget of transfer $$$ will be in the contracts.

sure, as long as the player compensation is under the table/outside of the scope of the AD budget.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

sure, as long as the player compensation is under the table/outside of the scope of the AD budget.

As of now nothing needs to be under the table BYU is an example. Players might eventually become employees of the school.

Edited by Wag Tag

22 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

As of now nothing needs to be under the table BYU is an example. Players might eventually become employees of the school.

To my knowledge, the NIL rules allow for endorsements from entities/companies outside the school. No money from inside the college/AD allowed.

Everything I see about the BYU situation says this is a deal with Built Brands.

Understand, but in the past they would of paid under the table. It really doesn’t matter where the $$$ come from with the AD and coach involved in the decision process. The $$$ offered will play into recruiting and transfers, but I still think playing time will be the biggest factor in deciding what school.

• Upvote 2

@Wag Tag I think we're on the same page.

Hiring a coach that also will be given a budget of transfer $$$ will be in the contracts.

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about putting money in coach contracts that allowed the school/coaches to directly pay potential transfers.  That's what I was responding to.  upon revisiting it, I'm not so sure that's what you meant anymore.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@Wag Tag I think we're on the same page.

Hiring a coach that also will be given a budget of transfer $$$ will be in the contracts.

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about putting money in coach contracts that allowed the school/coaches to directly pay potential transfers.  That's what I was responding to.  upon revisiting it, I'm not so sure that's what you meant anymore.

Probably poor wording on my part. To attract a new coach at SMU maybe one of the Hunt’s ( big $$ alumn) promises the potential coach X amount of endorsement dollars for players if he will come to SMU. Then the AD and coach can direct those dollars to certain players even if it is coming from Hunt. 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:52 PM, untjim1995 said:

I guess I haven't seen anything to suggest we have an opening for either of those spots yet...

Well Aune the sophomore being honored on senior night suggests there could be an opening at QB. 

Edited by 97and03