Sonny Dykes heading to TCU

brooks91

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You aren’t wrong here but it is also important to note the state of the football program each inherited at the time they inherited it.

Yet UTSA's Frank Wilson inherited a pretty crappy program from Coker (4-8 in 2014 and 3-9 in 2015)  and UTSA gave him just 4 years before showing him the door.  I get you want to give Seth a Covid year pass but damn man how long do you give this guy to prove himself?  How long must the program suffer?  How long is he allowed to poorly evaluate the QB position?  We have 4-5 scholarship QB's that can't play on the dime.    I believe you are a sincere and honest fan but you need to understand a lot of us aspire to better things especially now that we are heading to the AAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Yet UTSA's Frank Wilson inherited a pretty crappy program from Coker (4-8 in 2014 and 3-9 in 2015)  and UTSA gave him just 4 years before showing him the door.  I get you want to give Seth a Covid year pass but damn man how long do you give this guy to prove himself?  How long must the program suffer?  How long is he allowed to poorly evaluate the QB position?  We have 4-5 scholarship QB's that can't play on the dime.    I believe you are a sincere and honest fan but you need to understand a lot of us aspire to better things especially now that we are heading to the AAC.

Frank Wilson took that 3-9 program and went 19-29 overall and 12-19 in conference over 4 years before being fired after only appearing in a bowl game in year one.

Seth took a 1-11 program and went 27-25 overall and 18-14 in conference over his first 4 years. He won a west division title and went to 3 bowl games although he lost all three and the conference championship game. 

I get that Seth doesn’t have us where we feel we should be but don’t make him out to be worse than he really is. He isn’t Hayden Fry nor is he Todd Dodge. 

Your argument that he isn’t good enough still has merit without distorting the facts. He is one of the best coaches we have ever had but he isn’t one of the best coaches in the country either. It is ok to want better. I want better too, we just see a different path towards better.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

3 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I had mentioned Rhett a while back with speculation coming from a SMU alumni buddy. He is very well liked by the football alumni group. If Aranda leaves Baylor look for Fuente to get a shot at the Baylor job. A name I'm going to throw out there is keep an eye on Dana Holgerson. Know he is getting P5 money, but would he want a bigger stage? 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I had mentioned Rhett a while back with speculation coming from a SMU alumni buddy. He is very well liked by the football alumni group. If Aranda leaves Baylor look for Fuente to get a shot at the Baylor job. A name I'm going to throw out there is keep an eye on Dana Holgerson. Know he is getting P5 money, but would he want a bigger stage? 

I do recall you stating that so I will give you credit where credit is due.  However, do you really think if Aranda leaves they will hire Fuente?  I just don’t see Baylor doing that perhaps they would if he had not been fired but I sense that he will get an interview from them due to his relationship with Mack Rhodes.  

21 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I do recall you stating that so I will give you credit where credit is due.  However, do you really think if Aranda leaves they will hire Fuente?  I just don’t see Baylor doing that perhaps they would if he had not been fired but I sense that he will get an interview from them due to his relationship with Mack Rhodes.  

I do, because who else do you have? The Who’s who that is available is very slim. Aranda might get the LSU job, considered in the top 5, with only 2 years of head coaching. Fuente was solid a VT, I will relate it to Dana at WVU situation. I’m little surprised Dana is not getting more air time his record compared to Dykes or Aranda is far superior.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

TCU is more “Fort Worth’s team” than SMU will ever be “Dallas’ team”. 

Yep.

TCU shows what sustained winning and increased financial support can do for a program. Back when I lived down the street from that campus in 1993-94, it seemed like TCU wasn't even TCU's team.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

. A name I'm going to throw out there is keep an eye on Dana Holgerson. Know he is getting P5 money, but would he want a bigger stage? 

Isn’t Holgerson getting a bigger stage with Houston moving to the Big XII or am I misunderstanding your point?

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Isn’t Holgerson getting a bigger stage with Houston moving to the Big XII or am I misunderstanding your point?

He is but it doesn’t compare to LSU, Florida or USC. If Houston and UT have similar season next year I could see him  the front runner for the Texas job.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

15 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Seth had Mason for 4 years. Had a tight QB competition last year. Aune won it with a pretty solid rating during the Covid year where there was a rotating door of players coming on and off the field. I would take Aune stats from last year, this year all day. Not sure why it hasn’t translated. 

this is the only real down year Seth has had at the QB position. Prove me wrong. 

Edited by MeanGreen_MBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Seth had Mason for 4 years. Had a tight QB competition last year. Aune won it with a pretty solid rating during the Covid year where there was a rotating door of players coming on and off the field. I would take Aune stats from last year, this year all day. Not sure why it hasn’t translated. 

this is the only real down year Seth has had at the QB position. Prove me wrong. 

Aune only completed around 54 percent. Need 60 percent or better for this offense to work. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Aune only completed around 54 percent. Need 60 percent or better for this offense to work. 

If our WR's hadn't dropped so many passes that were right in their hands, that completion percentage would be up around 60%+.

If our defense wasn't doing something stupid and drawing penalties, our WR's were dropping the damn ball all over the place.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

That's one stat.  He also had 8.9 yards per attempt, tied for #14 in the nation. This offense can work with a 54% rate if you're getting that kind of production out of each attempt.

That has dropped to 6.7 yards per attempt this year.  That, along with the worse TD/Int ratio, have more to do with our problems at the position than a 54% completion rate, although a 60%+ completion rate certainly wouldn't hurt our cause.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Or it is Sonny? Curious how many transfers he takes.

Definitely because of the rumors of Samples leaving. He is probably the biggest recruiter there, guys relate to younger coaches like Samp. 
Now is the time for UNT to get their shit together 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If our WR's hadn't dropped so many passes that were right in their hands, that completion percentage would be up around 60%+.

If our defense wasn't doing something stupid and drawing penalties, our WR's were dropping the damn ball all over the place.

You could also make the argument that a lot of under and overthrown balls have led to this percentage

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You could also make the argument that a lot of under and overthrown balls have led to this percentage

This. We certainly had some drops- too many drops - especially early in the season when they felt like an epidemic. Ruder was the victim of several as well. Both QB just aren’t very accurate. IMO, we might consider rolling Aune out more since he only seems to hit his target when moving or under pressure. Maybe he thinks too much otherwise. 

• Upvote 1