Sonny Dykes heading to TCU

brooks91

re: Lashlee I think he's pretty far down the list.

Early buzz is centering around Bob Stoops and Justin Fuente.  Personally I don't see why at 61 years of age and a ton of cash in the bank that Stoops wants to deal with G5 football but who knows?  He was coaching the Dallas Renegades a year ago so he's still got the fire in his belly to coach.

Fuente is intriguing.  Getting paid a TON by VT to walk away.  Had a lot to do with TCU's success from 09-11.  Won an AAC title at Memphis.  Was pretty decent at VT but walking into the shadow of a legend is always tough.  Something Sonny is about to find out the hard way.

Tom Herman is also going to get some attention if no other reason he gave Ra'Shaad Samples his first shot as a GA and his salary is still being subsidized by UT.  SMU has committed to 3-4M for a HC so if you're able to spend some additional resources on the staff and NIL that might be a better strategy.  Herman's personality though will likely clash with the BMD's at SMU.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Three straight years starting off 6-0 or 7-0 only to finish 4th or 5th in the AAC.  Pretty much par for the course if you look at Sonny's career.

He did a fantastic job of elevating the talent on the roster and beating the teams we were supposed to beat but faded down the stretch every year.

Or its because SMU's fanbase is non-existent and even with a great marketing campaign they haven't been able to convince Dallas to give a damn. The attendance for the Oct. 21st game vs Tulane was embarrassing for a school that thinks they should be in the Big 12...6-0 and top 25 ranking and the fanbase could only muster a 22K announced attendance. 

IMO, this is a reason Dykes is leaving. He knows he'll have Ft. Worth's support as long as he's winning. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

re: Lashlee I think he's pretty far down the list.

Early buzz is centering around Bob Stoops and Justin Fuente.  Personally I don't see why at 61 years of age and a ton of cash in the bank that Stoops wants to deal with G5 football but who knows?  He was coaching the Dallas Renegades a year ago so he's still got the fire in his belly to coach.

Fuente is intriguing.  Getting paid a TON by VT to walk away.  Had a lot to do with TCU's success from 09-11.  Won an AAC title at Memphis.  Was pretty decent at VT but walking into the shadow of a legend is always tough.  Something Sonny is about to find out the hard way.

Tom Herman is also going to get some attention if no other reason he gave Ra'Shaad Samples his first shot as a GA and his salary is still being subsidized by UT.  SMU has committed to 3-4M for a HC so if you're able to spend some additional resources on the staff and NIL that might be a better strategy.  Herman's personality though will likely clash with the BMD's at SMU.

Are you confident your Athletic Director will get the hire right?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

lol.  Big 12 is going to 16 by 2024/2025.  

Good luck to Sonny.  He did a good job here but couldn't win in November.  I'm excited about who will want to take this thing to the next level.

Big 12? When Baylor and TCU for starters go to the Pac12. I think the Pac12 has some plucking to do.

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My only issue with Dykes to TCU from the TCU POV

Dykes is basically beating G5s with P5 players. Can he beat P5s with P5 players?

And they've fallen apart late in the year 2 years in a row....and he's never really challenged for the AAC title. 

I don't get it from TCU. 

Its a safe choice. Sonny has recruited well, used the transfer portal better than anyone, and personally wise should pacify Frog alumni upset over Patterson getting booted out.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Sources say TCU is looking for a coach, in part, who can navigate the transfer portal. Few head coaches nationally have done so with the level of success Dykes has in his SMU tenure. Dykes has also proven to be an able recruiter in the DFW area. Every high school player the Mustangs signed in the 2021 class hailed from the Lone Star State.

no shit sherlock GIF by Team Coco

Sonny to TCU per 247 LINK

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I don’t know why you guys just don’t go after Nick Saban. This is SMU we are talking about! Take your pick of any coach! And forget the Big 12, SMU is going to rightfully be in the super conference with the other top 30 schools when the current system implodes. SMU, a bastion of innovation, was also 35 years ahead of the game on NIL. All I know is there is zero need for the SMU fan base to temper expectations because there’s literally zero risk of disappointment. You’re SMU! You were in the Southwest Conference for goodness sake. 

Well hold on now, I thought it only took “investing in the program” and “raising expectations” to make champagne fall from the heavens. Are you saying that no matter what SMU invests in their program, they will never be on the same level as an Oklahoma or Alabama? I am shocked, SMU should want better. We will wave as we take our rightful place in the SEC in 5 years. We can take our alltime season record for average per game attendance of 22,362 with us.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

lol.  Big 12 is going to 16 by 2024/2025.  

Good luck to Sonny.  He did a good job here but couldn't win in November.  I'm excited about who will want to take this thing to the next level.

They will pick Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State, Memphis, UNLV, and maybe Wyoming before they ever consider you.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I don’t know why you guys just don’t go after Nick Saban. This is SMU we are talking about! Take your pick of any coach! And forget the Big 12, SMU is going to rightfully be in the super conference with the other top 30 schools when the current system implodes. SMU, a bastion of innovation, was also 35 years ahead of the game on NIL. All I know is there is zero need for the SMU fan base to temper expectations because there’s literally zero risk of disappointment. You’re SMU! You were in the Southwest Conference for goodness sake. 

Just replace SMU with UNT in these sentences and you've wrapped up half the argument in the past few weeks about Littrell

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Put us at 6-0 and ranked, see how our crowd looks, then pull out that gif.   Right now, it’s just plain silly. 

Of course, with your unshakable faith in Littrell, you must think he’ll have us there next season

Our crowd would be roughly 30k in that situation.

On your second point, if UAB and UTSA are on the schedule after week 6 then I absolutely see that as a possibility with Seth or whoever replaces him (provided they are at least as good and not worse than him). SMU will be a tossup since they will be breaking in a new coach and TSU and UNLV should be wins. If Memphis is in those first 4, also a tossup. We beat Rice, USM, and UTEP. We could beat LaTech. WKU is the only team we might play from the east next year that would worry me since we had Marshall this year. We are prepped to have a very strong season next year if we can just keep the core together and growing.

10 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

TCU is more “Fort Worth’s team” than SMU will ever be “Dallas’ team”. 

TCU is FT Worth’s team and has been for 20+ years. The city and the school joined forces to promote TCU football and the community largely embraced it. Denton has never done so and UNT hasn’t forced them to try. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

20 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

No I heard that Seth is still mad at Sonny for stealing Trey Siggurs.

Is that urban tale stuff or actually true?  

And yes, Siggers would have by now moved from UNT’s 3’rd string to the role the Mustangs have for him now.  

❇️🦅❇️ SEE YALL AT FABULOUS  APOGEE STADIUM THIS SATURDAY!  

• Upvote 1