Sonny Dykes heading to TCU

brooks91

• brooks91 changed the title to Sonny Dykes heading to TCU
8 minutes ago, outoftown said:

What are the odds that SMU hires Patterson. If nothing else it would be hilarious (particularly following this season scurfuffle) and make for good TV any time they play.

Don't they both still play for the skillet?

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

My only issue with Dykes to TCU from the TCU POV

Dykes is basically beating G5s with P5 players. Can he beat P5s with P5 players?

And they've fallen apart late in the year 2 years in a row....and he's never really challenged for the AAC title. 

I don't get it from TCU. 

I get your point but the problem is there are so many openings that you cannot afford to be picky about who you land.  The other issue is the top jobs like LSU are taking forever.  If you are TCU you need to have someone start working on recruiting asap or you will fall behind.  I do think once the top jobs start filling up you will see these lower level jobs start making decisions.    I also think some schools will sit this cycle out and wait to get more value in the next years pool.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My only issue with Dykes to TCU from the TCU POV

Dykes is basically beating G5s with P5 players. Can he beat P5s with P5 players?

And they've fallen apart late in the year 2 years in a row....and he's never really challenged for the AAC title. 

I don't get it from TCU. 

What players does Sonny take with him? They could make the move knowing the system, playing better competition and playing to a crowd of 40-50,000 fans. Who else jumps ship?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Apparently, Sonny Dykes isn't buying SMU's hype that they're going to the Big XII.

This was my first thought. I don't think he leaves for TCU if he thinks SMU is about to get an invite to the Big 12. It might happen eventually, but I think this shows its not likely for the next few years. 

And I'm sure he's sick of playing in a half empty stadium when he's put together 3 straight good seasons. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

He must not have the inside info some of the SMU posters on here have. 

lol.  Big 12 is going to 16 by 2024/2025.  

Good luck to Sonny.  He did a good job here but couldn't win in November.  I'm excited about who will want to take this thing to the next level.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This was my first thought. I don't think he leaves for TCU if he thinks SMU is about to get an invite to the Big 12. It might happen eventually, but I think this shows its not likely for the next few years. 

And I'm sure he's sick of playing in a half empty stadium when he's put together 3 straight good seasons. 

Three straight years starting off 6-0 or 7-0 only to finish 4th or 5th in the AAC.  Pretty much par for the course if you look at Sonny's career.

He did a fantastic job of elevating the talent on the roster and beating the teams we were supposed to beat but faded down the stretch every year.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1