Former players coming to Seth’s defense

Jonnyeagle

8 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Problem is what if we can’t land a better coach than Littrell?  Would you still say change it out no matter the cost?  This appears to be the dilemma @Wren faces

Most of the 12 to 14 FBS coaches that have already been fired are better options than Littrell. You act like UNT is the ugly fat girl at the dance. Sure the P5's are going to get first crack at coaches, but we are not where we were 20 years ago. With in the G5, UNT now has some of the better facilities, higher pay, and is in arguably the best conference. Apparently I have a little more faith in Wren's ability to find us a coach that will be an improvement over Seth. Being scared to improve is very Old Denton.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

Has anyone considered that much of our young, talented roster may hit the transfer portal if SL is relieved of his duties?

The young talent is growing and developing every week. For this reason, I think he gets another year to prove it or lose it.

I do think the UTSA outcome will tell the tale, one way or another. If it plays out like UAB and Marshall, the decision will be apparent.

So keep a coach out of fear of losing players when he's only beaten teams with losing records for 3 years?

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

Has anyone considered that much of our young, talented roster may hit the transfer portal if SL is relieved of his duties?

The young talent is growing and developing every week. For this reason, I think he gets another year to prove it or lose it.

I do think the UTSA outcome will tell the tale, one way or another. If it plays out like UAB and Marshall, the decision will be apparent.

Or that young talent is excited about the hot coach UNT is bringing in and NOT hit the portal?

Who knows how that will play out, but you can't let fear drive you. 

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Most of the 12 to 14 FBS coaches that have already been fired are better options than Littrell. 

Buddy, if you really believe that, your frustration is clouding your judgment. Of course a few are likely better but most is a stretch. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Billy Clyde said:

I'm for our players but really? The young talent that hasn't come anywhere near close to competing against a quality team? We're going to make a decision based on fear of losing them? We lost a bunch in the portal last year anyway. Keeping Littrell didn't stop that. 

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I'm for our players but really? The young talent that hasn't come anywhere near close to competing against a quality team? We're going to make a decision based on fear of losing them? We lost a bunch in the portal last year anyway. Keeping Littrell didn't stop that. 

We lost extra year seniors and backups to the portal, not young talent. Those “quality teams” are putting up juniors and seniors against our freshmen and sophomores. Our guys need more experience and physical maturity to beat those teams.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

14 hours ago, Marty said:

Still my favorite Mean Green team to watch. We had just as many exciting plays on defense and special teams as we did on offense. You could only go for a restroom break at halftime or you’d miss something good. So much fun to watch.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Still my favorite Mean Green to watch. We had just as many exciting plays on defense and special teams as we did on offense. You could only go for a restroom break at halftime or you’d miss something good. So much fun to watch.

And best home uniforms ever!!

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Still my favorite Mean Green to watch. We had just as many exciting plays on defense and special teams as we did on offense. You could only go for a restroom break at halftime or you’d miss something good. So much fun to watch.

Watching this makes me think of two things:

1) Man I wish we had Darnel Smith at WR and James Jones or Kenny Buyers at CB right now. 
2) I definitely do not miss the old highlights that featured every five yard catch! 

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, MGNation92 said:

You may think hiring a new coach is taking a chance, but at this point I'd rather take a chance than stare down the barrel of MAYBE another 5-7 year, if not worse

Hell, let’s be positive and they go 7-5.  No division championship, (or conference championship)  and either bowl game win against a team that probably  doesn’t belong there or a lost one that does.  Is anyone really excited about that?  More likely we are just pleasantly surprised we don’t suck.  That doesn’t do anything to improve perception of our football program or university.  Should we rush to extend Seth at the end of that “glorious” 7-5 season?   I definitely understand former players defending Seth.  You want that character and loyalty from letterman.  Defending him if they have first hand knowledge of his work ethic, football X & O acumen and dedication to the program is what they are supposed to do.  But it is incomprehensible to me that some average fans and alumni are reluctant to say it is time for a change.  It is very “old Denton” to aspire to be mediocre in Football.  Seth MIGHT be able to turn it around by 2023 but with all the evidence collected so far, that seems like a bet against the KNOWN odds.  A new coach probably won’t have the program smoking hot by 2023  even if he gets the job December 2021 but that bet has better odds.  So while @MGNation92’s speculation of our record in the 2022 season with Seth might be negative, flipping that speculation to what is reasonably possible shouldn’t have people campaigning for bringing him back without winning out 2021.   More than likely we have seen Seth’s best here.  Those 9 win seasons were fun but hardware is the standard and he has none.  That was 3 years ago and he got a big raise it.  What have we gotten in the field for that investment?  A “Guarantee” that no one would steal our HC with a mediocre record. 🤣  🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Watching this makes me think of two things:

1) Man I wish we had Darnel Smith at WR and James Jones or Kenny Buyers at CB right now. 
2) I definitely do not miss the old highlights that featured every five yard catch! 

I agree. I loved watching some Kenny Buyers at corner. He was one of the best open field tacklers I’ve seen. He wasn’t gonna blow you up but once he put hands on you, you weren’t going to get away.

I'll probably be put on blast for this but have you seen the QB position? We have a shortstop as our starter. I'm no expert but his best throws are when he throws like a shortstop, examples - throw to Brown at end of UTEP game, and the pass to Lyles in the FIU game. Watch those throws and he looks like a baseball player and extremely accurate with them. Dude has 6 years of baseball mechanics to change. That is a lot of coaching up.

All that is probably why Ruder started the year as the No. 1 but he couldn't get it together.

And of course this all on the staff, just pointing it out.

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I'll probably be put on blast for this but have you seen the QB position? We have a shortstop as our starter. I'm no expert but his best throws are when he throws like a shortstop, examples - throw to Brown at end of UTEP game, and the pass to Lyles in the FIU game. Watch those throws and he looks like a baseball player and extremely accurate with them. Dude has 6 years of baseball mechanics to change. That is a lot of coaching up.

All that is probably why Ruder started the year as the No. 1 but he couldn't get it together.

And of course this all on the staff, just pointing it out.

I think Aune throws better on the move than standing in the pocket, but football isn't a hinderance to baseball and vice versa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_House

Coach[edit]

After his retirement as a player, House became a pitching coach. In addition to Bachelor of Science in marketing and Master of Business Administration degrees from USC, House holds a Ph.D. in sports psychology from U.S. International University (now Alliant International University).[3][4] Early in his career, he employed what were thought of as unusual methods at the time, but have since been adopted by the baseball community at large such as having pitchers under his tutelage throw a football.[5]

Edited by UNTLifer