Former players coming to Seth’s defense

Jonnyeagle

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I totally disagree. Marshall fired Doc Holliday shortly after he finished leading his team to a 7-4 record and earning the C-USA Coach of the Year honor.

So, firing Seth is not untenable. We simply have to raise our expectations at UNT and demand more from our athletic department.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/01/doc-holliday-conference-usa-coach-of-the-year-out-at-marshall.html

Just to clarify, Holliday's contract wasn't extended because the West Virgina governor nullified it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 9299 said:

Not sure where your Historical perspective comes from, but it is apparent your inside knowledge must come from "hear say" and not direct knowledge!!!!

I have deleted the original post out of respect to your dissenting perspective. There are precious few people that that have followed and loved this program more than I have for the last 40 years, but you are certainly one of them. I appreciate your dedication, commitment, and generous contributions to North Texas, not just to athletics, but the whole university community.

I admire and love you #43,

Adler

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Y’Barbo never played for Seth. The difference between McCarney, Benford, and Seth is the players haven’t quit on Seth like they did those other two.

Just a few but almost all were loyal. I mean bench guys in football and then Chris Jones in basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Instead, he does seem motivated, doesn’t engage the fans or alumni, and appears to be going through the motions. 

I know you meant doesn’t seem motivated. I disagree. When you listen to the coach’s show, you can hear he still has the drive to succeed here.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

And “we aren’t Texas” is the most defeatist attitude I have ever heard!  We may not have a Big XII level budget or facilities, but we damn sure have a budget and facilities at the top of CUSA.  The problem with SL, and there are absolutely ZERO valid excuses, is that we don’t have a football program that is at the top of CUSA.

Yep so UTSA is very young and UAB just restarted their program after killing it.  Now both are killing us on the field. So without beating UTSA there is no reason to keep SL.

• Upvote 4

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Here's the issue if we keep Seth. We know what he is. He's gonna beat the bad teams, and lose to the good ones. That was true when he was winning 9 games, and also true when he was winning 4 games.

If we are to keep him, what does our schedule look like? Assuming we don't bring in an all world QB like Zappe.

UTSA - Probably going to be the best team in the west again, Loss

UAB - Still strong and Bill Clark is a hell of a coach, Loss

La Tech - Can't see them being bad two years in a row under Holtz, he's too consistent, Loss

Rice - Not sure Bloomgren is the answer, but they seem to be competitive and usually play us close, tossup

UTEP - Bad program, but we play there next season and Littrell has never done well in El Paso, tossup

Southern Miss - They're real bad, win

SMU - even if Dykes is gone, they're still a better team with a better QB, Loss

UNLV - Looks like they've been pretty bad the last couple of years, but it's an away game so who knows, but I'll say win

Memphis - Better program, and it's an away game, Loss

Crossover games I'm not sure but based on recent opponents I'm gonna say FAU and WKU, and both of those games will be tossups at best

You may think hiring a new coach is taking a chance, but at this point I'd rather take a chance than stare down the barrel of MAYBE another 5-7 year, if not worse

Problem is what if we can’t land a better coach than Littrell?  Would you still say change it out no matter the cost?  This appears to be the dilemma @Wren faces

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Problem is what if we can’t land a better coach than Littrell?  Would you still say change it out no matter the cost?  This appears to be the dilemma @Wren faces

Absolutely. I think Wren will do his best to put us in the best position possible going into the AAC, and that means a winning football team. 

Littrell isn't a winner. He's a below .500 mediocre coach. If Wren doesn't think he can do better then I'm not sure I want him as our AD

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Hookset said:

I have often read comments like this. I really don’t understand them. Seth is not a “screamer” style of coach. He keeps his emotions under control. This is professional and shows composure under pressure.

Okay to be critical of coaching results. I wish people would rise above criticism of a coaches personality and professionalism. JMO

I guess you can say the same for the band that played on as the Titanic sunk too!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

In year 6 of SL we shouldn’t be excited to maybe possibly hit 6 and that it is his best year in the last 3 with it. His body of work simply says he isn’t a good coach worth what he is paid. 
And if he is retained, the lucky bastard actually gets a raise for this mess. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hookset said:

I have often read comments like this. I really don’t understand them. Seth is not a “screamer” style of coach. He keeps his emotions under control. This is professional and shows composure under pressure.

Okay to be critical of coaching results. I wish people would rise above criticism of a coaches personality and professionalism. JMO

And I respect a coach that isn't a screamer, but when your team comes out game after game looking down and not ready then it reflects on the head coach.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Absolutely. I think Wren will do his best to put us in the best position possible going into the AAC, and that means a winning football team. 

Littrell isn't a winner. He's a below .500 mediocre coach. If Wren doesn't think he can do better then I'm not sure I want him as our AD

I disagree, he is an above .500 coach that hit a tough stretch.

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Success leading to staff attrition and injuries 

And a good coach would be able to identify quality staff replacements. Including a new strength and conditioning coach if half your team is injured for any given season

Instead we're on year 3 of having little to no QB development and the injuries to key players continue to mount up

Bennett has turned around the defense, but that's about it. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And I respect a coach that isn't a screamer, but when your team comes out game after game looking down and not ready then it reflects on the head coach.

I have been at every home game and watched every away game. I haven’t ever seen the team looking down and not ready. Undisciplined at times yes, most young teams are.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Hookset said:

My wife will be the first to tell you that how we outwardly express ourselves has an impact on everyone. If a coach can't get in touch with players psychologically then he's already starting at a deficit no matter how brilliant he may be.

You don't have to curse and punch refs, but you lead by example. If you are reserved and unemotional then expect your charges to be as well.

Fake it until you make it

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, emmitt01 said:

I can’t speak for @ADLER but my inside knowledge comes from watching one of the most (if not the most)inept coaching displays I have ever seen.  He wasn’t simply outclassed, he was beaten like a red-headed stepchild by opposing coaches.  

His defenses didn’t know how to tackle…because they didn’t practice it.   When he finally got rid of his buddy Mendoza, the DC who replaced him was quoted as saying “first I gotta get the pu$$y out of these guys” because the defense was so soft.  

I watched, live from about 20 yards away, an opposing player laugh at our defensive alignment prior to scoring on the EXACT SAME play he had previously scored on.  Oh, and that team’s coaching staff openly laughed at Todd Dodge and his assistants on the radio show after the game.  

Some coaches are never out of any game…he was seldom in one.  His in-game decisions were the stuff of legend, and not in any way that can be remotely called positive.  

If he wasn’t ASTRONOMICALLY arrogant…then the results he produced only leave two other options.   Cosmically stupid, or criminally incompetent.  

Also, I notice you appear to be new.   I swear it's like Todd Dodge is “Bloody Mary”, say his name five times and his apologists will be summoned.  

No not new, just concerned when i see a statement like yours, not fact based, and leaves the reader with false impressions of a person.  However we all have freedom of speech!! Lets Beat UTSA Saturday. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Most the coaches being let go have one common complaint against them and that is the qb play. If you can't evaluate and develop the qb position then you better have a guru that can.( and eventually he will be a head coach) You would think transfers would increase your odds for success with their existing body of work to review. I can't accept the situation with Amani and Jace. This makes me believe we are not capable of evaluating talent at this position. I could see Seth being let go or staying for next season with the idea it being our last in C-USA. If he stays I hope they announce the start of the AD building so IF he is let go now or next season we can attract the best candidate.

• Upvote 4